Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ yes
Old 12-28-2017, 03:50 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
BW trip next year! I just hope I don't go off!!! Lol
You should come out to PCA GGR in May. I think Speed District is out there in April as well. It won't take you long to start giving me a run for my money at my home track. Three places to NEVER go off of...1) Riverside 2) Phil Hill/Magic Mountain 3) Esses.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:18 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
You should come out to PCA GGR in May. I think Speed District is out there in April as well. It won't take you long to start giving me a run for my money at my home track. Three places to NEVER go off of...1) Riverside 2) Phil Hill/Magic Mountain 3) Esses.
May should work. It'll be with the new 3 since the 4 will be gone by then. I'd rather learn that track with the 4, but oh well!
Old 12-28-2017, 11:42 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 166 Posts

You'll miss the open top experience on a nice day. I don't miss my .1gt3. I'm not gonna miss my gt4, but I still miss my 987 spyder. You can't beat the spyder when it comes street driving on a nice day. My problem is I'm not a fan of canyon/mountain runs so I rarely got a chance to enjoy the spyder for what it was meant for.
Joe -
The factory sport shifter in my 987 Spyder was absolutely phenomenal. I think you had the same in yours. How would you compare it to the .2 GT3 manual?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:44 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by redyps
Joe -
The factory sport shifter in my 987 Spyder was absolutely phenomenal. I think you had the same in yours. How would you compare it to the .2 GT3 manual?
.2 GT3 manual is the best yet. No doubt. I'll let you try it out when it arrives
Old 12-29-2017, 12:03 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtrom
Can you guys further elaborate on the street drive-ability of the PDK GT3. I realize everyone's tolerances are different but this is the 2nd time I have heard someone comment on the PDK on the GT3 not being fitting for street driving. It is hard to get full appreciation for this on a test drive. I am coming from a .1 GTS PDK
i had a ‘14 GT3 for 2 years and drove it mostly on street, once on track....

PDK-S, even in regular mode, shifts pretty abruptly. It can be exciting at wide open throttle getting on the freeway or speeding away from a stop down a long straight the way it snaps off several upshifts so fast. It’s also fun in fast twisty country roads in manual paddle mode as you toggle between 2-3-4 while braking and accelerating into and out of bends and corners. It lets you concentrate more on steering, brake and throttle inputs on truly harrowing high speed drives. It’s built for speed.

On track, it can’t be touched. Unless you’re an experienced track driver (not me), you’ll probably leave PDK in PDK sport auto mode to pay more attention to where you place the car on the track than when to shift, since it does such a good job of being in the right gear all the time on track when so set.

But it on the street, just in day to day and slightly spirited driving, the PDK-S is jerky and not so smooth in laid back driving vs what you can do with a decent manual yourself, and when doing slightly spirited (6/10s to 7/10ths) driving that is the majority of fun driving one does on street most of the time, it’s not nearly as fun or engaging as using a true manual with clutch and stick shift.

PS, I also had a GT4 at same time and currently have a 981 Spyder, both manuals of course.

Am am very much looking forward to taking delivery of my 991.2 GT3 manual Touring this spring.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:01 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

To each his/her own, it's their car after all however I have to believe that Porsche recommended the 2,000 mile break-in period for a reason! Heck, even in Russian roulette one has an 84% chance of making it, but that one time...bad results!
Old 12-29-2017, 05:18 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
i had a ‘14 GT3 for 2 years and drove it mostly on street, once on track....

PDK-S, even in regular mode, shifts pretty abruptly. It can be exciting at wide open throttle getting on the freeway or speeding away from a stop down a long straight the way it snaps off several upshifts so fast. It’s also fun in fast twisty country roads in manual paddle mode as you toggle between 2-3-4 while braking and accelerating into and out of bends and corners. It lets you concentrate more on steering, brake and throttle inputs on truly harrowing high speed drives. It’s built for speed.

On track, it can’t be touched. Unless you’re an experienced track driver (not me), you’ll probably leave PDK in PDK sport auto mode to pay more attention to where you place the car on the track than when to shift, since it does such a good job of being in the right gear all the time on track when so set.

But it on the street, just in day to day and slightly spirited driving, the PDK-S is jerky and not so smooth in laid back driving vs what you can do with a decent manual yourself, and when doing slightly spirited (6/10s to 7/10ths) driving that is the majority of fun driving one does on street most of the time, it’s not nearly as fun or engaging as using a true manual with clutch and stick shift.

PS, I also had a GT4 at same time and currently have a 981 Spyder, both manuals of course.

Am am very much looking forward to taking delivery of my 991.2 GT3 manual Touring this spring.

PDK-S in the 991.2 has shifts so smooth they are indiscernible in both normal mode and sport mode.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:23 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
PDK-S in the 991.2 has shifts so smooth they are indiscernible in both normal mode and sport mode.
Yes. Unfortunately it seems they have filtered out a bit of the 'rawness' yet again. So far I haven't noticed the same wonderful mechanical noises either.
While each generation gets 'better', it also moves just a bit further away from what a GT3 should be.
I do think the view out the rear window is less obstructed by the new wing though.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:40 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
LOL, I've gone off all three places! Mind you, Riverside was running CCW so not so fast as CW. Nothing out there but mud and/or dirt/silt/dust, so what's the worry?!

Here's your old car after one such episode, LOL!:

Last edited by montoya; 12-29-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:01 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by montoya
LOL, I've gone off all three places! Mind you, Riverside was running CCW so not so fast as CW. Nothing out there but mud and/or dirt/silt/dust, so what's the worry?!

Here's your old car after one such episode, LOL!:

I've heard it's impossible to clean out the car when you go off. Give me solid ground that I can drive straight off into even if means there is a wall. Lol
Old 12-29-2017, 09:17 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Yes. Unfortunately it seems they have filtered out a bit of the 'rawness' yet again. So far I haven't noticed the same wonderful mechanical noises either.
While each generation gets 'better', it also moves just a bit further away from what a GT3 should be.
I do think the view out the rear window is less obstructed by the new wing though.
Totally agree with this after driving a friends .2 PDK yesterday , it is a bit more refined in most aspects.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:39 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

I've heard it's impossible to clean out the car when you go off. Give me solid ground that I can drive straight off into even if means there is a wall. Lol
Haha! We don't repaint or try to make our race cars look pretty until we're back in the PACNW- Desert tracks in Cali, and clean don't mix!
Old 12-29-2017, 10:25 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,792 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by James88
Totally agree with this after driving a friends .2 PDK yesterday , it is a bit more refined in most aspects.
There seem to be divergent opinions regarding whether the .2 is amped up across the board vs more refined than the .1. Maybe the .2 is more refined when driven gently, and more amped up when driver harder with higher revs?
Old 12-29-2017, 10:51 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
There seem to be divergent opinions regarding whether the .2 is amped up across the board vs more refined than the .1. Maybe the .2 is more refined when driven gently, and more amped up when driver harder with higher revs?
I think it also differs on PDK vs manual box from what I've been reading. My incoming .2 is PDK, but have no experience with the .1.. Coming from my C4 I am not worried, I am sure the thing will be a beast Also watching YouTube reviews online, seems like most of the .2's available for the journalists are PDK and they seem to be really enjoying it. Mainly on track, but also on some road segments.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe says .2 with manual is AWESOME