Sponsored by:

Orthojoe says .2 with manual is AWESOME

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 12:55 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
I know at least one of the GT4's cheated. He went by the sound meter during testing at full throttle, but in 6th gear. Yes, you will pass, but if you mess up and blow the county meter your day may be done and you may get fined. Not worth it to me. Also not a fan of bolting parts on a brand new car. I may show up just to run by the sound meter and see how bad the GT3 fails. And see how yours does with the turndowns.
Yeah, I actually even ordered a 'generic' GT3 tail pipe center section, so that I would bolt the turn downs onto those, instead of the oem ones, and just swap back to stock following the event. Happy to show you the setup if you're able to make it out there.

And agree... can't hurt to get a 'free' full throttle pass.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 01-04-2018, 03:53 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

I have these for sale still. They have silencing cones internally and could be cut off and adapted to a GT3 style muffler plate.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...l#post14608760
Old 01-04-2018, 09:00 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
I know at least one of the GT4's cheated. He went by the sound meter during testing at full throttle, but in 6th gear. Yes, you will pass, but if you mess up and blow the county meter your day may be done and you may get fined. Not worth it to me. Also not a fan of bolting parts on a brand new car. I may show up just to run by the sound meter and see how bad the GT3 fails. And see how yours does with the turndowns.
Which track is this that hands out fines for being too loud on a track?
Old 01-04-2018, 09:44 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
That seems very inconsistent with the top Porsche test driver who achieved only a 3 second difference between PDK-S and Manual on the 13-mile Nordschleife with the .2 GT3.
Is there actually a video from PAG actually showing the manual is only 3 seconds slower though, ie a 7:15-16 lap? So far that 3 second different claim has been widely touted about but there's actually been nothing concrete to show that other than a claim somewhere that Timo kluck says it's 3 seconds. fwiw i genuinely don't have a strong opinion about what that time differential should be either. for a pro driver I can just about believe 3 seconds but for a the typical amateur, even a decent one, I think that difference would be a lot greater though.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:24 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
Hahaha, funny stuff. I always said that once the honeymoon period passed, people would be bored with the PDK. Truth is that you'll always prefer what you don't have. Something about grass always being greener because it's fertilized with bull$hit. Anyways, if you want to have fun on the street, you're buying the wrong car. Get the Boxster Spyder and never look back.
+1. Love my Spyder. But I want to drive a 991.2 manual to see.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:03 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by guab
+1. Love my Spyder. But I want to drive a 991.2 manual to see.
An extra 100 + hp and 9000 redline certainly ups the fun factor. You may not be able to extract it all on the street but just enough to make a big enough difference for me.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:30 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
Is there actually a video from PAG actually showing the manual is only 3 seconds slower though, ie a 7:15-16 lap? So far that 3 second different claim has been widely touted about but there's actually been nothing concrete to show that other than a claim somewhere that Timo kluck says it's 3 seconds. fwiw i genuinely don't have a strong opinion about what that time differential should be either. for a pro driver I can just about believe 3 seconds but for a the typical amateur, even a decent one, I think that difference would be a lot greater though.
No, haven't seen any vid of Manual at Ring. Don't think difference will be that much different for an average driver if he uses the auto rev match. The only real challenge is doing that manually - most decent drivers can press the clutch and move the lever relatively well...
Old 01-05-2018, 02:37 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
No doubt, if lap times are the predominant factors in choosing a transmission, then definitely PDK in any modern sports car. A computer or robot can always do a repetitive task faster and more consistent than a human being.

I don't look forward to the day when the manufacturers will come out with "Autonomous track mode" where you just sit in the car and punch in the track name and enjoy the ride.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
I don't look forward to the day when the manufacturers will come out with "Autonomous track mode" where you just sit in the car and punch in the track name and enjoy the ride.
Porsche already is working on that (Mark Webber mode)... Sort of like doing Ring Taxi in your own car

Quick Reply: Orthojoe says .2 with manual is AWESOME