Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 track alignment

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

As soon as my springs show up, I can start my suspension swap and get the car aligned. I'm not really liking the fitment of the 265-35-19 Trofeo-R on my 9" front wheel, so will prob use a 245-35-19 instead and free the car up with alignment since I have a 325-30-19 rear. The variation in size between a Hoosier, MSCP2, and Trofeo-R in a 265-35-19 is huge. Car looks like it almost has reverse rake with this tire fitment. Looks dumb. Could go with a 265-30-19 but then front ride height is crazy low, or you run tons of fender gap. Lack of correct diameter 19" tires is frustrating.

Probably going to start around -3F and -2.5R to see how the balance is, and take it from there.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:52 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
As soon as my springs show up, I can start my suspension swap and get the car aligned. I'm not really liking the fitment of the 265-35-19 Trofeo-R on my 9" front wheel, so will prob use a 245-35-19 instead and free the car up with alignment since I have a 325-30-19 rear. The variation in size between a Hoosier, MSCP2, and Trofeo-R in a 265-35-19 is huge. Car looks like it almost has reverse rake with this tire fitment. Looks dumb. Could go with a 265-30-19 but then front ride height is crazy low, or you run tons of fender gap. Lack of correct diameter 19" tires is frustrating.

Probably going to start around -3F and -2.5R to see how the balance is, and take it from there.

Same holds true on 19” RS fitment. No good options on slicks that don’t result in major TCS/ESC intervention.

Chris.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:53 AM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955

Same holds true on 19” RS fitment. No good options on slicks that don’t result in major TCS/ESC intervention.

Chris.

Here is a list I made for popular GT3 tire selections in 19". Looks like 265/325 is still closest if the actual width is true to published size
Old 02-10-2018, 12:15 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd like to see someone run a car with 1.8 negative and chalk the sidewalls... and then 2.5 and chalk the sidewalls. The fronts just don't roll that much on these cars and I don't see these cars needing more than 2' degrees negative in the front.

The rear, on the other hand... completely see it liking additional negative camber.

Will be interesting to see others setup and tire wear.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 02-10-2018, 01:07 AM
na94
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
I'd like to see someone run a car with 1.8 negative and chalk the sidewalls... and then 2.5 and chalk the sidewalls. The fronts just don't roll that much on these cars and I don't see these cars needing more than 2' degrees negative in the front.

The rear, on the other hand... completely see it liking additional negative camber.

Best Regards,
Dave
I'm going to start on 1.8 square then do some skidpad and autocross with chalk and a probe pyro. It will be interesting to see where the rrar ends up. I don't want to compromise the ability to put power down, which I believe matters in these cars.

It is also interesting to note that cup cars run a lot of camber, but my only experience is iracing so far.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:09 AM
Hams955
Pro

Best Regards,
Dave
Think the problem here is there are too many variables to truly assign a "best fit" camber number.

Variables that come to mind that would affect an ideal camber number:
1. Track - tight/technical track? High speed momentum track?? - I run high speed tracks and the car responds more to camber at a loss to slow speed turn-in
2. Driver Style? Like a loose or tight car? - I like a loose car personally
3. Which tire are you running? Dunlop Sport Maxx? SC2 N0 Spec? N1 Spec? - All respond differently to camber due to sidewall stiffness - SC2's I find respond more to camber than Dunlop's.
4. Hot pressure are you running? - SC2's I find at 32hot the SC2's set slower and have better lateral grip but not as good brake grip. I find best brake grip at 35psi hot on them. - Depends on if I need more lateral grip or more trail brake

I'm not trying to argue your point but I think there's more at play than just assuming all cars don't need "x" degrees of camber. I am guessing that you're very experienced and know when not to overdrive your car. Therefore, you're likely not rolling over your tires.

I can show you my tires after a full day at COTA with -2.5 and definitely shows wear to the outside edges. I don't overdrive my car but I am showing 1.48 lateral g's through the carousel at COTA with an exit speed around 110mph. I assure you that corner needs more camber to hang the car through the set.

Anyhow, great data points and observations. I do think a shorter technical track likely doesn't need as much camber, but my faster speed tracks in my locale necessitate more camber for my driving style. I do like a slower set.

Obviously the best way to test the tires would be to read temps across the tire with a pyrometer. I didn't bring mine with me last time at COTA.

- Chris.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:02 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Originally Posted by Hams955
Think the problem here is there are too many variables to truly assign a "best fit" camber number.

Variables that come to mind that would affect an ideal camber number:
1. Track - tight/technical track? High speed momentum track?? - I run high speed tracks and the car responds more to camber at a loss to slow speed turn-in
2. Driver Style? Like a loose or tight car? - I like a loose car personally
3. Which tire are you running? Dunlop Sport Maxx? SC2 N0 Spec? N1 Spec? - All respond differently to camber due to sidewall stiffness - SC2's I find respond more to camber than Dunlop's.
4. Hot pressure are you running? - SC2's I find at 32hot the SC2's set slower and have better lateral grip but not as good brake grip. I find best brake grip at 35psi hot on them. - Depends on if I need more lateral grip or more trail brake

I'm not trying to argue your point but I think there's more at play than just assuming all cars don't need "x" degrees of camber. I am guessing that you're very experienced and know when not to overdrive your car. Therefore, you're likely not rolling over your tires.

I can show you my tires after a full day at COTA with -2.5 and definitely shows wear to the outside edges. I don't overdrive my car but I am showing 1.48 lateral g's through the carousel at COTA with an exit speed around 110mph. I assure you that corner needs more camber to hang the car through the set.

Anyhow, great data points and observations. I do think a shorter technical track likely doesn't need as much camber, but my faster speed tracks in my locale necessitate more camber for my driving style. I do like a slower set.

Obviously the best way to test the tires would be to read temps across the tire with a pyrometer. I didn't bring mine with me last time at COTA.

- Chris.
Agreed, I would be interested in tire temps, that would help. I think you're right, the tracks I've ran so far in the GT3 have been 'flatter/technical' courses, only pulling about 1.44 G's. I haven't been able to run it on the higher speed, and banking courses, as you have, so could just be the course dependency to your point.

Today, I'm running the OEM Cup 2's... On my actual race car, I run Hoosiers, and do prefer a 'loose' car over a 'tight' car.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 02-11-2018, 07:17 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Best Regards,
Dave
yes that would be a good comparison...however...it’s moremthan just camber...with the MPSC2 is the tire pressures that guys are running are mostly to low compared to what Michelin recommends.

Again, although my 2017 GTS isn’t a GT3 it is however a 991 with rear steering and at the track it’s on MPSC2 GT3 sizes...I’m running -1.6 which with Sport PASM is the max for this car...BUT...I’m running the higher hot pressures that Michelin recommends....lowest worked too and the rears got up to 38 and that’s when it slightly started to slip a little.

I belive with the lower pressures no matter the camer the tire is not supported properly and it cords or chunks.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:34 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Originally Posted by mdrums

yes that would be a good comparison...however...it’s moremthan just camber...with the MPSC2 is the tire pressures that guys are running are mostly to low compared to what Michelin recommends.

Again, although my 2017 GTS isn’t a GT3 it is however a 991 with rear steering and at the track it’s on MPSC2 GT3 sizes...I’m running -1.6 which with Sport PASM is the max for this car...BUT...I’m running the higher hot pressures that Michelin recommends....lowest worked too and the rears got up to 38 and that’s when it slightly started to slip a little.

I belive with the lower pressures no matter the camer the tire is not supported properly and it cords or chunks.
I think my MPSC2 got up to about 36 Frt and 38 Rear by the end of the session.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 02-24-2018, 06:43 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

As I had previously posted, you can simply add Tarett race camber plates and get all the camber you need/want without any additional shims, and your caster stays on the low side of spec, about 9.3, which is what I wanted. No shims, no solid/adjustable caster pucks, no caster arms needed to achieve this. JUST camber plates. Must easier to adjust camber for your shop, no track width changes, and much better inner strut clearance. Plus, you get to retain the compliancy of stock rubber if desired. There is no downside IMO. I set mine at -3.2, but these plates let you go to -3.5 without any additional shims.

This also allows you to add caster if you want, by simply using shims, instead of decking the plates fully inboard for camber, so shimming adds caster and camber if you want higher caster, say 10. Spec is 9.5 to 10.5, and I want to be on the low side anyway.

Here is the initial alignment setup, we'll see how it goes on track and adjust from there. I'm on 572/1140# springs, so the additional camber will be put to use

Old 02-24-2018, 11:27 PM
Hams955
Pro

Heck yes!

Glad you tried them out and found this for us. Appreciate the information.

- Chris.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:11 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Do the Tarett plates differ at all in net geometry from the OEM PMNA plates from the GT4 CS?
Old 02-25-2018, 01:02 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

It's probably similar, but costs less and servicing it should easier too, i.e. replacement bearings, etc.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:08 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks for sharing info
Old 08-09-2018, 03:36 AM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Hallo all.

So done some tracking now with my .2 gt3's. Also a raceprof has been using it for testing and teaching me how to be faster.
We both find it to totally UNDERSTEER.

So very thankful for any advice what to do to make it not so understeer. My raceprof recommends more camber and a slight (2mm total) Toe Out.

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS??????

Last edited by 80s; 08-09-2018 at 04:06 AM.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 track alignment