Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JNOSOL's 991.2 GT3 - OCD DIY Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 02:48 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I bought a subscription and multiple logo sets so I can put them on each car...I do agree this is the most important mod
I won't disagree.

But I am still drooling over those gold wheels on a white car. Came very close to putting gold aftermarket wheels on my red GT4, but then found myself in need of back seats. Gold wheels just work with some colors. White is definitely one of them. And on the snow? Over the top...

Last edited by stout; 01-16-2018 at 03:27 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:46 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to lock in my allocated 991.2 and a very similar spec to yours - but White Metallic, LWB being the main differences. I still uncertain re normal wheels or Satin Platinum. Ive heard that the satin will be hard to clean - but they do look a bit brighter and look great on the UV 991 GT3 RS. Any thoughts re this? Happy with the standard wheels?
Old 01-16-2018, 10:15 AM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
Thank you, LOL. Let me tease you with another photo below. Shot with my Canon 60D with 50mm 1.4 USM + Hoya Polarizing Filter

Perfect shot/angle
Old 01-16-2018, 12:01 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 90944
I am about to lock in my allocated 991.2 and a very similar spec to yours - but White Metallic, LWB being the main differences. I still uncertain re normal wheels or Satin Platinum. Ive heard that the satin will be hard to clean - but they do look a bit brighter and look great on the UV 991 GT3 RS. Any thoughts re this? Happy with the standard wheels?
Satin are very hard to clean. Even with my Gold Signature SV104, which is clear coated + Gyeon Rims coating, brake dust build up like crazy. I would only get Satin if I had PCCB = no brake dust.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:51 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the prompt feedback...not getting PCCB so will change my spec to the normal wheels and save the $2k.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:03 AM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That center muffler looks nice- I can't wait to see it on the car... which is beautiful, btw!
Old 01-17-2018, 10:10 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by 90944
Thanks for the prompt feedback...not getting PCCB so will change my spec to the normal wheels and save the $2k.
Your local power coating shop can refinish your wheels for $350-450 to any finish you please.

Originally Posted by 8enny8lack
That center muffler looks nice- I can't wait to see it on the car... which is beautiful, btw!
Thank you so much. As soon as temps are above freezing, I'll install and document.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:52 AM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm trying to do the V1 install like you.

I noticed, like you, D2 is taken with a 5a fuse. Did you plug it in to D2 or D3? Also, for some reason, I can't get the carpet around the fuse box off, is there a special method?

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2018, 02:33 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Great write ups to JNOSOL! Thanks for doing the community a favor with very well written dyi’s too. Just fantastic. My car is almost a sister car to yours minus the leather interior. Interestingly I was going to order it that way but one came up with out, with a much reduced adm so I figured the leather wasn’t worth $ 18,000 which is what it would have cost me had I just gone ahead and ordered it and waited. Plus no waiting and car in hand is worth more than a hopeful allocation in the bush.
I agree with your seat comments 100% I had the 18 ways in my 50th ( same as a GTS) and the 4 ways are more comfortable without having to do all the adjustments to find the perfect settings. I had the fixed buckets in my first GT3 and while great for track work were so uncomfortable for long drives I didn’t have to put much thought into the 4 ways given the weight difference and the no cost. Yes the side mirrors are very good in this car given the wing but this car deserves the wing, needs the wing. But given the love for the 911R I understand the GT3 touring idea. And bravo to Porsche to keep flippers from pricing us out of the market.
I was going to get winter tire/wheels too but this winter in Boise is almost like being in Scottsdale this year so none needed. Last year we were under 4 feet of snow by now. Yesterday we were on a drive in 60 degree weather along the Payette river!
The hardwired V1 install you did is THE way to go in our cars great write up please keep them coming!!!
The V1 saved me several times yesterday on our spirited run in the mountains. And I didn’t even get above 5,000 rpms . What a car, I can hardly wait till it’s broken in!
Old 02-05-2018, 04:51 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by nlpamg
I'm trying to do the V1 install like you.

I noticed, like you, D2 is taken with a 5a fuse. Did you plug it in to D2 or D3? Also, for some reason, I can't get the carpet around the fuse box off, is there a special method?

Thanks!
If D2 is taken, just find another "switched" open slot. To remove the carpet, you'll first have to remove the door rubber seals. Just be careful, the tar can get onto your alcantara and become a lot of work to remove.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:28 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Default DIY - Soul Performance Center Muffler

DIY - Soul Performance Center Muffler

Love the GT3, the stock exhaust sound was a bit weak unless you're constantly at 8-9k RPM which isn't practical for the street.

I went with Soul Performance Center Muffler to increase the volume by just 20% without deleting the OEM muffler control valve, so loud when you need it and close to OEM quiet when you don't.
The reason I chose Soul Performance was simple, all center muller with x-pipes sound and perform the same. Just choose the after market muffler that looks best to you and/or in my case, the least expensive that's backed by a lifetime warranty. Also, it's nice to shave 12LBs from the furthest back of the car.

This DIY is very simple. You don't need to remove the bumper like other DIYs posted.
If you know how to change your own brakes or oil, you can do this at home.

Tools Needed:
Jack with Porsche Jack Pad Adapter with Stands or Lift
3/8" ratchet
13mm deep socket / 15mm deep socket
13mm wrench (watching wreck works best)
T-30 socket
Hex 6mm (socket or "L" wrench)
Can of WD-40

*Wait for the car to cool off so exhaust is cool to the touch

Step 1: Raised the right or left rear of vehicle and support it with jack stand and read ahead to spray each nut with WD-40 (wait for 5min)
Remove under diffuser tray - Remove all T-30 Screws (I removed the middle one last to keep it balance)

[/url]

Step 2: Remove the muffler tips - 3x 13mm nuts

Step 3: Remove the 2 OEM center muffler brace straps - 2x Hex 6mm

Step 4: Remove the exhaust flanges from the center muffler - 10x 13mm nuts (5 each side)

Step 5 & 6: Loosen the V-band that holds the headers to the side mufflers on each side - 2x Hex 6mm
Remove 2 13mm nuts from the side muffler brackets - 4x 13mm nuts total

Step 7: Pull the 4 flanges away from the center mufflers then push the center muffler to one side for it to break free from the exhaust pipes.

]

Step 8: Fit the new Soul Center muffler into place (don't tighten the Soul clamps yet)
Re-install the 4x 13mm nuts for the side mufflers then tighten the side mufflers to headers V-band clamps - 2x 6mm Hex

Final: Tighten the 4x Soul Clamps and note the position of the clamps below (where the slit align with the clamp, do that for all 4) - 4 x 15mm nuts
Position the Muffler tips to be centered and pull them out until the "SOUL" logo is shown
Put the under the diffuser tray back - T-30 screws (do no over tighten)

OEM Muffler Weighs 23.08LB, Soul weighs around 10LB
Note how how restrictive the baffles are in the stock muffler:

What's a good exhaust DIY without Vid and Sound?
991.2 Launch Control Vid

Cheeers

Last edited by Jnosol; 02-14-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:48 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Great thread. Thanks for taking the time to share your "upgrades" with us.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:13 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Default Center Muffler

Those who haven't upgraded their center muffler are missing out. The sound is intoxicating. Now with 1,700 on the ODO, I'm loving the GT3 more than ever.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:25 PM
uberm3
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice thread, thank you for sharing!
Old 03-20-2018, 04:50 AM
chord72
5th Gear

JNOSOL,
can you tell me if your car is plain white or metallic white ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JNOSOL's 991.2 GT3 - OCD DIY Thread