Sponsored by:

Rear seat on GT3 T?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Unconscionable
It’s fascinating to see the interest in the GT3 as a luxury car. It must really just be the engine everyone wants, not an actual GT3.
While I have zero interest in rear seats, I don't think adding them would suddenly make the GT3 a 'luxury car'.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:49 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 296 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Mystique goes away, though, when you take away the wing or try to add rear seats. Why not just get the Twin Turbo?
No, it doesn't, though I would never add rear seats. Regardless, even without the wing, it is still the same sub 3200lbs car with the same 500HP NA 9000 RPM engine and same suspension that produces very similar downforce vs the wing version (albeit with a bit more drag). It's so silly for people (in general, not you specifically) to claim the Touring is some sort of water down version. Performance wise, manual vs manual, there will not be any significant difference between the the wing or touring version on the track. It's as if some people think the wing alone adds 100 HP... it doesn't... If it wasn't for the fact that the 911R was a numbered edition and about 80lbs lighter, would people have made the same comments back then? Or maybe the single mass flywheel overrides all? Personally, I will track my touring 2-4 times per year for fun in a controlled environment. The sad thing is most GT3 owners (even with the wing) will probably track their cars less or keep them in the garage for fear of losing value...

Plus, there is no other 911 IMO, that can connect a driver to the road like the GT3 (wing or not). So no, turbo is not an option.

* There is probably a more appropriate post/thread to reply to the wing Vs touring argument but I just felt inspired lol.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:33 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I'm beginning to think that's true. Plus the GT3 suspension, plus the GT3 mystique. Mystique goes away, though, when you take away the wing and try to add rear seats. Why not just get the Twin Turbo? Designed and built as a luxury sports car with a Porsche soul. There was a time this was the ultimate 911, and for some, still is.
I bought in as well, owning both 991.1 Turbo and 991.2 Turbo S. It's just not the same experience. Wonderful car that does most everything exceedingly well, BUT it just does not excite the driving senses.
Unless eyeball rattling Launch Control is your only measure. That wears thin after a while.
I'd have kept the Turbo S and been mostly happy if the Touring had not been announced. It fits my idea of a GT Porsche perfectly as is!

Quick Reply: Rear seat on GT3 T?