Camera for driving and security/vandalism protection

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 09:17 PM
johnhb1234
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camera for driving and security/vandalism protection

Hi,

I am about to get a 911 Turbo S but know from friends that have a GT3 that you are more passionate and
knowledgeable group.I am new to Porsche and am very concerned about people trying to
outdrive me on the road, key my car, etc. because I am going to use this car as my daily driver. While
I've never had a bad traffic stop from a police officer, with this car, I'm wondering if I should get a
camera similar to what I've seen on YouTube, that records conversations in the car.

So I am talking about front/rear surveillance, to show if someone hits my car on the road,
for conversations if I am stopped and for when I'm not in the car. I've been told there are
cameras that can fit over the rear view mirror. I don't know if this is a good solution for a Porsche.
I've also been told that a camera in cars that is always on for surveillance is not typical because
the battery would drain - that would probably be for a camera that looks out to both the right and left
sides of the car.

Please forgive my ignorance, I am technical but know nothing about this topic or what scenarios are typical,
I am guessing. I have heard you might be able to integrate in the front and rear Porsche cameras but suspect
that anything after-market would void my warranty. As a result, while it might be somewhat more expensive,
I'll probably get my dealer to install the solution(s).

I would very much appreciate all ideas and feedback. By the way, I'm now a resident of Fort Myers Beach, FL
and spend about 3 months a year up North.But if you know of a store to purchase the equipment, Jack Daniels
would be happy to do the installation. My car will be here later this week so I have to hurry.

Thanks,

John B.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:52 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by johnhb1234
Hi,

I am about to get a 911 Turbo S but know from friends that have a GT3 that you are more passionate and
knowledgeable group.I am new to Porsche and am very concerned about people trying to
outdrive me on the road, key my car, etc. because I am going to use this car as my daily driver. While
I've never had a bad traffic stop from a police officer, with this car, I'm wondering if I should get a
camera similar to what I've seen on YouTube, that records conversations in the car.

So I am talking about front/rear surveillance, to show if someone hits my car on the road,
for conversations if I am stopped and for when I'm not in the car. I've been told there are
cameras that can fit over the rear view mirror. I don't know if this is a good solution for a Porsche.
I've also been told that a camera in cars that is always on for surveillance is not typical because
the battery would drain - that would probably be for a camera that looks out to both the right and left
sides of the car.

Please forgive my ignorance, I am technical but know nothing about this topic or what scenarios are typical,
I am guessing. I have heard you might be able to integrate in the front and rear Porsche cameras but suspect
that anything after-market would void my warranty. As a result, while it might be somewhat more expensive,
I'll probably get my dealer to install the solution(s).

I would very much appreciate all ideas and feedback. By the way, I'm now a resident of Fort Myers Beach, FL
and spend about 3 months a year up North.But if you know of a store to purchase the equipment, Jack Daniels
would be happy to do the installation. My car will be here later this week so I have to hurry.

Thanks,

John B.
it's not that exotic or special of a car, there are millions of sports cars on the road, people will only engage you in "outdriving" as much as you engage with them, it's completely under your control. Regarding theft or safety, unless you live in downtown detroit you not likely to have any issues. of course comfort is a personal thing, but most here don't have cameras on their cars to record anything except track events.. which is a totally different kind of camera.

also, cameras won't stop anyone from keying your car.

you're probably overthinking this.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:06 PM
Frenzyy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Installing a dashcam is never a bad idea, I plan on installing the BlackVue 750-2CH (front and back) just like Joemat on this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14566352

He had the dealer install it front and back and looks very nicely hidden. He did not buy it with the power magic pro accessory so it probably won't record for long periods of time when the car is turned off.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:16 PM
johnhb1234
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your reply.

Quick Reply: Camera for driving and security/vandalism protection