Sponsored by:

Rollcage in the .2 gt3 touring

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 02:41 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
OP. There's nothing wrong with putting a roll bars in a GT3 Touring (I hope you meant roll bars, not roll cage - big difference). Some people put a roll bars on a GTS for track use. If you're concerned about your car flipping over, that likelihood is very very slim. Even if it does, the likelihood of the roof collapsing completely is even more rare. Unless you plan to track your car competitively, stock seat belts and chassis are more than enough for HPDE or fun weekends.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. U.S. spec'd cars do not have roll bars mounting points so it's a b*tch to weld and install "proper" roll bars. Since you have Euro chassis, there are mounting points. 991.1 had roll bars mounts regardless of U.S. or Euro, 991.2 is different. They took away the mounting points, at least for the U.S.

If you just want the 6-point belt, maybe companies like Brey Krause will make harness bars like they did for the 997 GT3. They're work of arts.
A harness bar, one without a roll hoop, is generally not recommended. The 5-6 point harness will keep you upright in a roll over, and heaven forbid your B pillars collapse, you will still be upright as the roof collapses on you. If you are going to put anything, put in a half cage with a roll bar to help support the roof and B pillars in case of a roll over. Easy enough to do with the aftermarket roll bars. If you are going to do it, do it right. Even in a touring
Old 12-18-2017, 02:49 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
We all have our preferences. I have never had issues of getting too much attention on the street, but then again my car isn't a bright color and I don't drive like an idiot on public roads. Even if kids tried to race me, I can be an adult about it and ignore them. I have nothing against the touring model and think it is a great option. If I planned to drive my car on the street mainly, I would have gotten it. Porsche named the car Touring spec for a reason. Most people that buy the Touring spec probably won't track it. If people want to put a roll bar in their Touring spec car, that is fine with me. The roll bars will fit and they can do whatever they want. I am however entitled to my opinion. I don't think a roll bar fits the look of the Touring model, especially with it spec'd in chrome. Thank you for your advice though, I will remember to use my wing as an excuse on the track
I think most people who buy a GT3 of any kind won't track it. Frankly, they should name the GT3 the 911 Cars and Coffee Edition with Non-fat soy and double-double options

If someone bought a touring and wanted a rollbar and won't track, I think that's just stupid (and dangerous).
Old 12-18-2017, 03:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Anders
Much in the same way as neither North American GT3s nor ROW Comfort GT3s have the correct mounting points.
Then why did you say 'Touring' in your post, rather than just North American GT3s? And why are you assuming the OP is referring to the Porsche cage and not an aftermarket cage? All he said was 'a rollcage'.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:48 PM
SGS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
I think most people who buy a GT3 of any kind won't track it. Frankly, they should name the GT3 the 911 Cars and Coffee Edition with Non-fat soy and double-double options

If someone bought a touring and wanted a rollbar and won't track, I think that's just stupid (and dangerous).
lol
Old 12-19-2017, 09:03 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
A harness bar, one without a roll hoop, is generally not recommended. The 5-6 point harness will keep you upright in a roll over, and heaven forbid your B pillars collapse, you will still be upright as the roof collapses on you. If you are going to put anything, put in a half cage with a roll bar to help support the roof and B pillars in case of a roll over. Easy enough to do with the aftermarket roll bars. If you are going to do it, do it right. Even in a touring
I think we shared a few comments on the above topic in another thread. I have been earmarking a harness bar to support harness and hans etc, but since your earlier comment, this point about being strapped upright has been playing on my mind and rethinking.
- Anyone know how strong B pillars are relatively ? ARe we talking high speed flips to crush them.. ? If so then, its these crashes (hopefully lower probability) only concerned about ? or a simple roll over enough to do the damage?
- Also would the same problem would exist if your head (with helmet) was higher then top of roll cage.. which is quite possible for me being tall and the cage being in the back in lower roof line. it would only need an inch or two to crush veterbrae ..
- If you didn't go with a roll cage, your suggesting that we are then better off just with standard sash belt ? but wouldn't you then be more at risk in the higher probability crashes (side and front nose to wall etc )
- then for normal street use having a roll cage inside when not wearing a helmet or harness is not that flash either with high risk head injruies from hitting the bar..
Thanks for your input on the topic as safety important to all of us I think.This article had some interesting comments..

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-safety-facts/

Last edited by Oldmxnut; 12-19-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Its the first time I've brought the topic up in a long, long, loooong time, so you may have had the discussion with someone else as this is a often discussed topic.

Excellent article you posted a link to, and excellent questions as well. We all have opinions, the same way we all have, ah, noses , and on this topic it's all relative. IMO, if the cars is mostly for the track, go rollbar/half cage and take the risk for the infrequent street drive. If mostly street, then the standard 3 point seatbelt and better modern construction of A and B pillars should be good enough. IMO, the harness bar is not good enough and may be more dangerous on the track. No hard data, just my opinion and my nose .
Old 08-07-2018, 11:10 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
911R also has no rear seats. Touring and 911R are almost exactly the same.
you are looking to get attacked by the R mob saying they are exactly the same ... I am sure they will tell you the subtle magic ; ). Lol
Old 08-08-2018, 08:29 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I found no information if the body-in-.white is same with Touring or Winged versions
Old 08-08-2018, 10:11 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 80s
One more reason for not having the wing.

The view in the rearview mirror is really bad. For me, its really important to have full control when tracking of whats happening in front of me and in the back. Yes there might definitely be faster cars that i have to let by, especially on the Nordschleife.
I am pretty sure you need unobstructed view on a track. Especially the rear one. putting cage to a touring...
Old 08-08-2018, 12:12 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
But you should keep your wing - at least you can use it as an excuse for not not giving a point-by cause your wing was blocking your view.
YASSSSSSS my man!

all you wing GT3 racers need to skip the GT3 on the next round and just get a Cup, you will be so much happier, and have a bigger ****!

Quick Reply: Rollcage in the .2 gt3 touring