Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rollcage in the .2 gt3 touring

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 02:20 AM
Anders
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's likely that the Touring lacks the correct mounting points for the factory cage so if it is factory you want it will be a bit involving (also I hear it is difficult to buy the rear cage as a spare part)
Old 12-18-2017, 02:37 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Anders
It's likely that the Touring lacks the correct mounting points for the factory cage so if it is factory you want it will be a bit involving (also I hear it is difficult to buy the rear cage as a spare part)
Why would it likely not have the mounting points? It’s the same ****ing car! It just doesn’t have a wing. Otherwise it’s the same exact car!
Old 12-18-2017, 02:40 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
There is also a button to make that wing pop up, even if the car is just rolling down the street. So, Archimedes, are you suggesting that the button be pushed so that the big wing stays up and look matched with the roll cage, and not look so confused to be a wingless GT3 yet have a roll cage?
I’m saying you’re the only one who gives a rats *** what it looks like. Or that it would even look odd with a cage. There are race cars without big wings and yet they have cages. One has nothing to do with the other. You guys act like there’s some big difference between the Touring and the Wing. It’s the same car.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:05 AM
Anders
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Why would it likely not have the mounting points? It’s the same ****ing car! It just doesn’t have a wing. Otherwise it’s the same exact car!
Much in the same way as neither North American GT3s nor ROW Comfort GT3s have the correct mounting points.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:37 AM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

One more reason for not having the wing.

The view in the rearview mirror is really bad. For me, its really important to have full control when tracking of whats happening in front of me and in the back. Yes there might definitely be faster cars that i have to let by, especially on the Nordschleife.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:21 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Clubsport pack chassis has mounting points, non clubsport chassis doesn't.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:30 AM
Gauss
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out post #69 in this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...project-5.html
His GT3 is not a Clubsport but according to the owner, it has the mounting points for a roll cage.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:34 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Gauss
Check out post #69 in this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...project-5.html
His GT3 is not a Clubsport but according to the owner, it has the mounting points for a roll cage.

He mounted a Cantrell roll cage, not the Porsche clubsport. Uses different mounting points. The non-clubsport car, which all US cars are, both the winged and wingless GT3, do not have the clubsport mounting points. The aftermarket roll cages, like the Cantrell, the GMG, the BBI, etc, use different mounting points from the Porsche clubsport
Old 12-18-2017, 10:43 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Roll Bars, Not Roll Cage???

OP. There's nothing wrong with putting a roll bars in a GT3 Touring (I hope you meant roll bars, not roll cage - big difference). Some people put a roll bars on a GTS for track use. If you're concerned about your car flipping over, that likelihood is very very slim. Even if it does, the likelihood of the roof collapsing completely is even more rare. Unless you plan to track your car competitively, stock seat belts and chassis are more than enough for HPDE or fun weekends.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. U.S. spec'd cars do not have roll bars mounting points so it's a b*tch to weld and install "proper" roll bars. Since you have Euro chassis, there are mounting points. 991.1 had roll bars mounts regardless of U.S. or Euro, 991.2 is different. They took away the mounting points, at least for the U.S.

If you just want the 6-point belt, maybe companies like Brey Krause will make harness bars like they did for the 997 GT3. They're work of arts.

Last edited by Jnosol; 12-18-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:49 AM
03BeastCharmer
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tough crowd. I was actually pondering this weekend this exact setup. Touring with roll cage so I could wear a harness at the track, but go more under the radar the 80% of the time I want to just drive it around town/back roads. No allocation in sight, so all theoretical for me.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:50 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 80s
Hi everyone.
im wondering if you can put a rollcage in the .2 gt3 touring.
I mean why wouldnt you, theyre supposed to be just alike besides the wing!?
great if someone could confirm that you definitely could mount a rollcage after delivery.
thanks everyone for a great forum!

To answer your question, yes. An aftermarket roll bar/cage can be installed. My question is why would you? You went through the trouble of spec'ing no wing to avoid the racecar look, but now you want to add a roll bar/cage just to add the racecar look back. If you are going to do minimal tracking, then you are probably fine with airbags and a 3 point seat belt. If you are planning on tracking often, why didn't you get the track version of the car? A cage does not fit the looks of the touring imo. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a car at the track with a roll bar/cage and no wing. I'm all about cohesiveness and throwing a cage in a touring version of a car is silly to me.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:42 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
OP. There's nothing wrong with putting a roll bars in a GT3 Touring (I hope you meant roll bars, not roll cage - big difference). Unlike the 911R, it doesn't have rear seats so you're not ruining any functionality back there. Some people put a roll bars on a GTS for track use. If you're concerned about your car flipping over, that likelihood is very very slim. Even if it does, the likelihood of the roof collapsing completely is even more rare. Unless you plan to track your car competitively, stock seat belts and chassis are more than enough for HPDE or fun weekends.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. U.S. spec'd cars do not have roll bars mounting points so it's a b*tch to weld and install "proper" roll bars. Since you have Euro chassis, there are mounting points. 991.1 had roll bars mounts regardless of U.S. or Euro, 991.2 is different. They took away the mounting points, at least for the U.S.

If you just want the 6-point belt, maybe companies like Brey Krause will make harness bars like they did for the 997 GT3. They're work of arts.
]
911R also has no rear seats. Touring and 911R are almost exactly the same.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:51 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
911R also has no rear seats. Touring and 911R are almost exactly the same.
You're right. Some odd reason I thought the R had the rear seats. Hahah.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:11 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by drdonger
To answer your question, yes. An aftermarket roll bar/cage can be installed. My question is why would you? You went through the trouble of spec'ing no wing to avoid the racecar look, but now you want to add a roll bar/cage just to add the racecar look back. If you are going to do minimal tracking, then you are probably fine with airbags and a 3 point seat belt. If you are planning on tracking often, why didn't you get the track version of the car? A cage does not fit the looks of the touring imo. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a car at the track with a roll bar/cage and no wing. I'm all about cohesiveness and throwing a cage in a touring version of a car is silly to me.
Well in my case, when I'm driving my RS around, kids and street racers constantly pull stupid moves around my car trying to get me to race them or gun it. I like to drive to the track, rather than trailer, and don't want the extra attention from cops or kids. By going wingless I hope people won't come charging up or cutting me off since there's no big wing to catch their attention. I doubt with a tint people will notice my rollbar 2-3 blocks away (a wing they definitely would).

As for the cage, a 500HP car on track is going to be seriously fast. I do at least 20 days a year, so safety is important. Safety and looks are two different things. And just cause a car doesn't have a wing, doesn't mean it can't have a rollbar in it. As for the Track vs. Touring, the only difference is the wing. But you should keep your wing - at least you can use it as an excuse for not not giving a point-by cause your wing was blocking your view.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:08 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
Well in my case, when I'm driving my RS around, kids and street racers constantly pull stupid moves around my car trying to get me to race them or gun it. I like to drive to the track, rather than trailer, and don't want the extra attention from cops or kids. By going wingless I hope people won't come charging up or cutting me off since there's no big wing to catch their attention. I doubt with a tint people will notice my rollbar 2-3 blocks away (a wing they definitely would).

As for the cage, a 500HP car on track is going to be seriously fast. I do at least 20 days a year, so safety is important. Safety and looks are two different things. And just cause a car doesn't have a wing, doesn't mean it can't have a rollbar in it. As for the Track vs. Touring, the only difference is the wing. But you should keep your wing - at least you can use it as an excuse for not not giving a point-by cause your wing was blocking your view.
We all have our preferences. I have never had issues of getting too much attention on the street, but then again my car isn't a bright color and I don't drive like an idiot on public roads. Even if kids tried to race me, I can be an adult about it and ignore them. I have nothing against the touring model and think it is a great option. If I planned to drive my car on the street mainly, I would have gotten it. Porsche named the car Touring spec for a reason. Most people that buy the Touring spec probably won't track it. If people want to put a roll bar in their Touring spec car, that is fine with me. The roll bars will fit and they can do whatever they want. I am however entitled to my opinion. I don't think a roll bar fits the look of the Touring model, especially with it spec'd in chrome. Thank you for your advice though, I will remember to use my wing as an excuse on the track

Quick Reply: Rollcage in the .2 gt3 touring