Sponsored by:

A few thoughts about the 991.2 GT3.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 09:48 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts
Default A few thoughts about the 991.2 GT3.

I was lucky to grab this car by calling my old salesman who sold me my 50th. It just came off the trailer yesterday. And for those who havent ordered yet or mulling things over just a few thoughts. I called my old salesman Giovanni Bucci, who was at Walters(but moved to Newport) because he had a allocation closing in a few days and I was going to take it. This one was on the floor and it was like what I was going to order but 2 differences: I was going to order metallic Carrara White and this one was regular white, and I though about ordering leather. This one is non leather. This one HAS front axle lift and that was the only HAVE to HAVE for me anyway. The 2 GT3s I had before were non leather and I never noticed while having gobs of fun, so it worked out. Plus in this case leather was going to be a VERY expensive option!!!(if I ordered it and then paid the whole ADM) I was extremely lucky to have called at the right time for this one to become available. I went to the local store to look at metallic white and I couldn't tell from 10 feet between the two and the regular white paint is very good.

The ADM on this car was half the ADM of the to be ordered car, so no brainer for me. After reading some of the threads here I learned a lot about some of the options I was going to get or not get, like the 18 ways which are in the 50th, but lots of you said the 4 ways are more comfortable. After sitting in these 2 cars back to back I have to agree. The 4 ways are at least as comfortable. I had thought about the PDLS but these new lights have the 4 dashed daytime running lights and kind of look LIKE the PDLS so that worked out. This one doesn't have the cornering lights but I am usually not in the car in twisties at night, so its not too bad to leave out the PDLS.

I thought about the radio delete because I wasn't going to pay for Bose again when I listen to talk radio 90% of the time. But I have to admit the infotainment center is VERY nice for a no cost option. The apple car play is a very nice feature and you can watch a movie on the DVD I watched part of Bridge of Spies just as a test. WAY better than a 991.1. It has SiriusXM built in but your phone ipod will get you all the music apps you want so why is satellite radio even needed?

If you are coming from a TT or GTS something else the GT3 is a beast, its much noisier and while much nicer riding and compliant compared to my old Manthey 996 GT3 it is going to be a much bumpier than your Turbo or GTS. But the thrill and driving experience is just a blast compared to a non GT car. Its an amazing machine. I havent had a GT3 since 09 and I am so glad to have one back. Good luck to all you who are waiting. Now my only problem is winter is here and the snow is around the corner, so I might be an expert in the Infotainment system by the time the spring gets here.

One thing I noticed was even tho this is a PDK it has noises like the single mass flywheel I had in both my other GT3s, it kind of put a smile on my face. I know this has the dual mass but noticably lightened from the 50th PDK.

Just got it in the garage by the 50th

Engine bay/Cover is very nice

Its nice to have the alcantara wheel back in my hand.

The new infotainment center is leaps forward from the 991.1
Watching "Bridge of Spies" in the garage
Old 12-15-2017, 09:59 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Congrats on your acquisition. White is the right color no matter which type.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:02 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

Wow that wheel looks really thick. Congrats on your new GT3
Old 12-15-2017, 11:45 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Well Done , Congrats and Thanks for sharing your success , more pics please .
Old 12-15-2017, 11:52 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

congrats
Old 12-16-2017, 12:29 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thank and I want to give you guys more pics, but just as the car got here, we are having our first snow of the year! I thought for sure it would happen the day before the
car got here and here it is. At least I can sit in it!
Old 12-16-2017, 12:31 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,340 Likes on 705 Posts

Congrats!

fortunately, snow doesn’t last long in SW Idaho.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:52 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I was lucky to grab this car by calling my old salesman who sold me my 50th. It just came off the trailer yesterday. And for those who havent ordered yet or mulling things over just a few thoughts. I called my old salesman Giovanni Bucci, who was at Walters(but moved to Newport) because he had a allocation closing in a few days and I was going to take it. This one was on the floor and it was like what I was going to order but 2 differences: I was going to order metallic Carrara White and this one was regular white, and I though about ordering leather. This one is non leather. This one HAS front axle lift and that was the only HAVE to HAVE for me anyway. The 2 GT3s I had before were non leather and I never noticed while having gobs of fun, so it worked out. Plus in this case leather was going to be a VERY expensive option!!!(if I ordered it and then paid the whole ADM) I was extremely lucky to have called at the right time for this one to become available. I went to the local store to look at metallic white and I couldn't tell from 10 feet between the two and the regular white paint is very good.

The ADM on this car was half the ADM of the to be ordered car, so no brainer for me. After reading some of the threads here I learned a lot about some of the options I was going to get or not get, like the 18 ways which are in the 50th, but lots of you said the 4 ways are more comfortable. After sitting in these 2 cars back to back I have to agree. The 4 ways are at least as comfortable. I had thought about the PDLS but these new lights have the 4 dashed daytime running lights and kind of look LIKE the PDLS so that worked out. This one doesn't have the cornering lights but I am usually not in the car in twisties at night, so its not too bad to leave out the PDLS.

I thought about the radio delete because I wasn't going to pay for Bose again when I listen to talk radio 90% of the time. But I have to admit the infotainment center is VERY nice for a no cost option. The apple car play is a very nice feature and you can watch a movie on the DVD I watched part of Bridge of Spies just as a test. WAY better than a 991.1. It has SiriusXM built in but your phone ipod will get you all the music apps you want so why is satellite radio even needed?

If you are coming from a TT or GTS something else the GT3 is a beast, its much noisier and while much nicer riding and compliant compared to my old Manthey 996 GT3 it is going to be a much bumpier than your Turbo or GTS. But the thrill and driving experience is just a blast compared to a non GT car. Its an amazing machine. I havent had a GT3 since 09 and I am so glad to have one back. Good luck to all you who are waiting. Now my only problem is winter is here and the snow is around the corner, so I might be an expert in the Infotainment system by the time the spring gets here.

One thing I noticed was even tho this is a PDK it has noises like the single mass flywheel I had in both my other GT3s, it kind of put a smile on my face. I know this has the dual mass but noticably lightened from the 50th PDK.

Just got it in the garage by the 50th

Engine bay/Cover is very nice

Its nice to have the alcantara wheel back in my hand.

The new infotainment center is leaps forward from the 991.1
Watching "Bridge of Spies" in the garage
What a great pair!
Old 12-16-2017, 03:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

nice congrats
Old 12-16-2017, 04:07 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Drifting last year it starting snowing around now and didnt stop till March. Worst winter in 58 years I heard. Usually we have 12 inches a year. 3 here 2 there etc etc.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:21 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,340 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Drifting last year it starting snowing around now and didnt stop till March. Worst winter in 58 years I heard. Usually we have 12 inches a year. 3 here 2 there etc etc.
are you near Boise? I have a brother there. Says he might get snow from mid dec to March, but usually melts after several days of Idaho winter sun, so 80% of the winter there isn’t snow on the road, even if there are quite a few storms each year.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:06 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 606 Posts

congratulations on the new car , can't go wrong with white
Old 12-16-2017, 09:26 AM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Congrats, great pair of white 911s.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:54 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

Oldguy - Congratulations on your new .2. Can you elaborate on how you will use both cars in the stable? My concern is that the GT3 and GTS in my garage would be redundant.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 102 Posts

White on Porsche is like red on a Ferrari. Porsche has the best white in the car industry. If you like the car now, wait until you go from 6000 to 9000 rpms. ��

Quick Reply: A few thoughts about the 991.2 GT3.