Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Auto Blipper demo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1039195-auto-blipper-demo.html)

Scott_997 12-14-2017 08:21 AM

Auto Blipper demo

I wanted to make a short video to show how amazing the auto blip feature is on the manual GT3. It is FLAWLESS on the street and track. This was at PBIR last night driving with a beautiful sunset. I have s sharkwerks muffler bypass.

Elliott_775 12-14-2017 08:30 AM

Hello, I saw you there. great looking GT3 I didn't get a chance to check It out. I did not bring my gt3, I was in a silver z06 with a wing!

Scott_997 12-14-2017 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Elliott_775 (Post 14668862)
Hello, I saw you there. great looking GT3 I didn't get a chance to check It out. I did not bring my gt3, I was in a silver z06 with a wing!

What a small world! I'll be there next week too most likely.

rosenbergendo 12-14-2017 08:49 AM

You enjoying the car?

Palting 12-14-2017 09:44 AM

Nice. It takes part of the fun of driving a manual trans away, though. I love doing heel/toe. With auto blip, why get a manual at all? Might as well get a PDK, no?

Wild Weasel 12-14-2017 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Palting (Post 14668959)
Nice. It takes part of the fun of driving a manual trans away, though. I love doing heel/toe. With auto blip, why get a manual at all? Might as well get a PDK, no?

It gives you options. Nobody makes you use it.

For my part... my heel/toe game isn't quite on point yet so while I'm working on it, this gives me the option to just forget about it for a few fast fun laps and then go back to learning when I want to.

I did this for a DE weekend this year rather extensively. I did most of my sessions working on heel-toe but then a friend came around for some fun and I realized that I couldn't reliably heel-toe and keep up with him at the same time. Press the button... have at it. :)

Also worth mentioning is that it's a great teaching tool. "This is what you're trying to do. If you get it perfect... it'll feel like this."

Palting 12-14-2017 10:00 AM

Ah, I see. There's an off button. It is unlikely you will ever be as good as the auto blip, though. I am willing to bet that this will make most everyone eventually not heel and toe . Just my .02

jvmax 12-14-2017 10:01 AM

No third pedal with PDK. Nice to have options with a press of a button

carcommander 12-14-2017 10:14 AM

My GT3 is a couple of weeks away. I drove a GT4 with this feature. I though it was fun.

drdonger 12-14-2017 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Scott_997 (Post 14668849)
https://youtu.be/AsxqpEEGZa8

I wanted to make a short video to show how amazing the auto blip feature is on the manual GT3. It is FLAWLESS on the street and track. This was at PBIR last night driving with a beautiful sunset. I have s sharkwerks muffler bypass.

Thank you for the video! Looks like it works great. Do you mind posting a launch control video too?

STALKER99 12-14-2017 04:13 PM

Havent used it yet the GT3, but on the GT4 is was great fun. Auto blip is great option to have. Going to have to wait till next track season.

vantage 12-14-2017 04:55 PM

In my GT4, I use auto-blip when "going for it", but when driving at a more relaxed pace or on normal streets, I blip myself. It does make the car slightly less involving though, such that sometimes you might as well have PDK. Just my 2c, as someone who currently owns two manual cars and previously had a dual-clutch car.

Needsdecaf 12-14-2017 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Palting (Post 14668985)
Ah, I see. There's an off button. It is unlikely you will ever be as good as the auto blip, though. I am willing to bet that this will make most everyone eventually not heel and toe . Just my .02

No, it probably won't.

Auto blip has been standard in the 991 Carrera's with Sport Chrono since launch (I think). Despite having it, and never having learned to heel-toe, I still keep mine off unless I'm at max attack on some back roads. I tried driving with it for a few days but kept it off. It does rob some of the fun of shifting. However when you're on it, it's immensely satisfying how cleanly it shifts, and also is nice not to have to worry about upsetting the car changing brake pressure while blipping. But as I said, never learned to heel toe until now. If you have been doing it a long time, especially racing, you probably don't need it.

But you might like it. ;)

maspirito 12-14-2017 05:17 PM

I can heel toe just fine but on track when I’m entering a turn off the back stretch at 125 to 140 miles an hour I just as soon have my foot firmly planted on the brake and let the auto blipper work for me.

Scott_997 12-14-2017 05:38 PM

I love heel toeing toe and can do it. I had a 997.2 GT3 and many many other manual Porsches. I have heel toed around lots of racetracks. If I want to I can shut it off, right now I'm having fun in my new car is that ok with you? I'm not purist enough now? The manual isn't enough? Was demonstrating a feature rennlisters have been curious about. Thank you for your feedback.