Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let’s assume ADM didn’t exist...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 04:44 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Default Let’s assume ADM didn’t exist...

I am sure we have all read a ton of threads and posts about ADM, so one more isn’t going to hurt too badly lol. As the title states, let’s assume that ADM didn’t exist in the USA (or anywhere). That might sound great on the surface, but considering that Porsche isn’t going to increase capacity to match demand, this leaves us with other problems. And why wouldn’t Porsche just increase capacity? We know why. Because when the next downturn comes, and it always comes eventually, that extra capacity is going to be a drag on Porsche profits for a long time. Porsche had to have crunched the numbers, and weighed the risks. They obviously think it isn’t worth the risk and I tend to agree at this stage of the cycle.

So, we are left with a scarcity of GT cars. Who gets them? Most likely, a dealer’s best customers. Being on a list probably does nothing, and they might even eliminate lists all together. For most guys, buying one from a dealer is going to be hard, especially for something like a .2 GT3 RS. So that leaves buying from a private party. And guess what? They are going to charge the going market price. Essentially, very similar to ADM, but without the cute sales women or free coffee. So profit shifts from dealers to customers.

Does it help or hurt us if the dealer is stripped of this extra profit? Does the extra profit show up in service, by us being charged more? Or does Porsche just end up increasing the selling price?

I am not trying to defend ADM but I guess i question if eliminating ADM actually makes a car guy’s life any better? Because a special car is going to cost all but the best customers a lot more. The only issue is...who gets the extra profit? Maybe people who live in markets without ADM can share how things actually work for them.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I remember the days of GT owner's talking/posting about driving and tracking their cars.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:52 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

We wind up with a Ferrari model....select customers at MSRP flipping used cars through the dealer.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:57 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

PAG could easily make many more GT cars if they scaled back on the two dozen 911 models available, just saying
Old 12-13-2017, 04:58 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by LexVan
I remember the days of GT owner's talking/posting about driving and tracking their cars.
Always better to just be driving them. But...it is a bit cold today.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:59 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
We wind up with a Ferrari model....select customers at MSRP flipping used cars through the dealer.
Which isn’t any better.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:01 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by 0to60
PAG could easily make many more GT cars if they scaled back on the two dozen 911 models available, just saying
But would they want to do that? The GT3 is the flagship so don’t they want those to be somewhat limited?
Old 12-13-2017, 05:05 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Originally Posted by robmypro
Which isn’t any better.
Correct....Ferrari is combating it somewhat by ramping up production....
Old 12-13-2017, 05:07 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Ok....got it. I will wait for the next recession to get a GT3 allocation.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:08 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

But would they want to do that? The GT3 is the flagship so don’t they want those to be somewhat limited?
They want/need to make money. Your assertion here is that if the flagship model had no limitations in volume, it would no longer enhance the brand. I think that is incorrect. Would you rather have 10,000 GT3's on the streets of the US or 3,000 GT3's on the streets and 7,000 regular 911's on dealer lots? Obviously numbers are off but that situation is playing out currently with the base 911's not selling near as well as the GT variants.

Let's also be real that a GT3 isn't a flagship car. 918 etc have that status IMO
Old 12-13-2017, 05:16 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

As the title states, let’s assume that ADM didn’t exist in the USA (or anywhere).
In order for us to assume that ADM doesn't exist, we also have to assume that either (a) supply has caught up with demand, (b) demand has decreased to match supply, or (c) Porsche dealers have been disallowed to operate in a free market. Assuming (c) above, nothing would be different for those willing to pay a premium other than who they pay it to. Some MSRP buyers would choose to peddle their cars at a profit, but most likely it would be used/exotic car dealers selling on behalf of the MSRP buyers that consigned/sold/traded their cars. I do not expect that ADM is part of dealer revenue models, but I could be mistaken.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:35 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall

Let's also be real that a GT3 isn't a flagship car. 918 etc have that status IMO
I think the GT3 is the flagship. It's a 911, which is and always will be the marquis model. The 918 was a one time gimmick like the GT and 959. Flash in the pan trivia point, however cool they were. But the 911 is the alpha and omega of Porsche sports cars. The GT3 is the pinnacle especially since it's the only NA option as well as the 9k redline. The "turbo" is faster and I respect what it is, but the GT3 is the ultimate 911, and the 911 is the ultimate Porsche.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:25 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Originally Posted by StudGarden
I think the GT3 is the flagship. It's a 911, which is and always will be the marquis model.
I would say the majority of Porsche owners don't even know what the GT3 is.....think about how many mom's and dad's are driving around in Cayenne's and Macan's.....to them a 911 is a 911.....we live in our own little forum world
Old 12-13-2017, 06:58 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by StudGarden
I think the GT3 is the flagship. It's a 911, which is and always will be the marquis model. The 918 was a one time gimmick like the GT and 959. Flash in the pan trivia point, however cool they were. But the 911 is the alpha and omega of Porsche sports cars. The GT3 is the pinnacle especially since it's the only NA option as well as the 9k redline. The "turbo" is faster and I respect what it is, but the GT3 is the ultimate 911, and the 911 is the ultimate Porsche.
I will say this. When PCNA reps talk about the GT3, they call it the flagship.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:27 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I will say this. When PCNA reps talk about the GT3, they call it the flagship.
What's that make the 2RS and 3RS? Flagship^3 and Flagship^2?

PCNA should get more involved in the allocation process and get rid of the ADM. I might even return as a customer but the fun/reward of buying cars regularly has been squashed for me. Too much waiting around for allocations and hoping your dealer doesn't stiff you. Irony is if I add up all the depreciation hits of the regular 911s and SUVs I would have been better just paying ADMs and being done with it.
​​
Ferrari at least takes a much more active role as does McLaren (being trying to get a P15/Senna slot).

Quick Reply: Let’s assume ADM didn’t exist...