Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canceled GT3 stripper build at MSRP....would you consider?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 04:46 PM
jackmac
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
You should counter them. Agreeing to #1 is no big deal. As for #2, tell them that you will finance the car through the dealership instead . Then in six months stroke a big check and pay it off. They can't do anything about that.

* assuming a simple interest loan that you can pay off early.
Many thanks for all the input,
I will try # 2. if it does not work out, I will pass the info to another RL member who may be interested.
Jack
Old 12-14-2017, 05:18 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jackmac
Many thanks for all the input,
I will try # 2. if it does not work out, I will pass the info to another RL member who may be interested.
Jack
Jack,Did you ask them what the lease payment would be with no money down???That would tell you a lot.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:44 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
You should counter them. Agreeing to #1 is no big deal. As for #2, tell them that you will finance the car through the dealership instead . Then in six months stroke a big check and pay it off. They can't do anything about that.

* assuming a simple interest loan that you can pay off early.
+1, or refi elsewhere with cheap rates (e.g. PenFed)
Old 12-14-2017, 05:44 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by RUF RS
residual rates are NOT set by the dealership. The big question here is WHAT IS THE FACTOR RATE, for the lease? And is there a penalty for early pay off???? Look at it this way: WHY would they insist that you lease it first...if it was not in their best interest????
Residual value, ie the expected depreciation and the value of the car at the end of the lease period, is one of the factors that set the lease payments. It is also what you would pay at the end of the lease if you wanted to buy the car. This is set at the time of lease signing, and it is set by the dealership if they are acting as the bank/lien/lease holder.

In this particular scenario, you will RENT the car for 8 months. The amount of the RENT you pay depends on the expected usage (miles driven per month, higher rent the more mile per month), the factor or lease rate, and the expected depreciation of the car during those rented months. In the usual scenario, the car depreciates and you pay less than the original asking price, the RESIDUAL VALUE, at the end of the lease period if you want to then buy the car. If the dealership expects you to pay MSRP at the end of the lease period, in addition to the 8 months worth of lease payments, then you have paid ADM equal to the 8 months worth of payments. Not a good deal, but then we are talking about buying a GT3 in California, where ADM seems to be the norm

Anyone who buys cars at this level of cost has an accountant, so I assume you have one. Ask your accountant. The true cost of the car to you would be the total of the monthly payments, plus the agreed upon residual value that you would have to pay to buy the car at the end of the lease period. Up to you if you think it's worth it.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:01 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Just ask them directly how much more $ above MSRP they hope to make off this car with no leasing BS involved. Sum up the 8mth lease payments + residual (to buy the car after lease) + all financing/lease fees and subtract that from MSRP. That's the extra $ they are asking. Just negotiate that "ADM" down to where you'd be comfortable paying then pay it to them without a lease.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:14 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Just ask them directly how much more $ above MSRP they hope to make off this car with no leasing BS involved. Sum up the 8mth lease payments + residual (to buy the car after lease) + all financing/lease fees and subtract that from MSRP. That's the extra $ they are asking. Just negotiate that "ADM" down to where you'd be comfortable paying then pay it to them without a lease.
Agree with this. I wouldn't mess with any short term lease and then buyout BS, if they want to structure the ADM as a 5-10k upcharge on a PPF or some other addon, just do that and buy/finance the car straight out the gate.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:29 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Hey guys,
So the sales person got back. Yes it is at MSRP however there is a catch
1) No flipping for 2 years (I have no problem with this)
2) They want you to lease for 8 months before you can buy the vehicle. (Does this even make sense) ?

What you guys think?

Jack
Geez, just sell you the car for chrissakes. When did all this become so f%cking difficult? Seems like every company is squeezing every last dime out of everything and making things so ridiculously difficult. I've been with GEICO for 25+ years but every time I try to make a change to my policy these days, they do this shady deal and try to slip in some extra crap I don't want. When did 'here's my money, give me that thing' go out of style?
Old 12-14-2017, 07:48 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Best idea so far.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:20 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Sounds to me like they didn't have any takers at MSRP + ADM so they are now trying to hide that ADM. I guess they think that nobody will catch on. This might just be a new way to extract extra $$$ with the ADM ****e hitting the wall all over forums.

But then again there are enough forums posts where somebody spends someone elses money by advocating to pay that overcharge; afterall its not their money.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:39 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Facinating.

As as I explained to my dealer, money is fungible to me (the machinations I went through with them were were legendary). Do whatever you want, all I care about is the bottom line. I hate making payments so I would just cut the check for the lease and be done with it. I have a suspicion that Porsche or PCNA is checking up on the dealer and gives some sort of consideration for sales at MSRP so the trade ADM, mandatory PPF/insurance/financing etc. is the work around. Also, I know Porsche gives some credit for in area sales (what I don’t know but this was a big reason I got an allocation — in addition to bringing sandwiches whenever I stopped by).

I had a dealer insist I finance a car once. I was cool with it (again bottom line). I got the loan, paid it off via wire as soon as it went on the books. All it cost me was the $500 doc fee and a small amount of interest.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:20 AM
jackmac
Racer

Many thanks again for all the helpful comments,
I do want to apologize for the run-around, but after some debate, I decided to pass on the car. Too many unknowns and I felt that dealer/salesperson was not being honest up front. Hopefully some other opportunity will come by soon.
Cheers,
Jack
Old 12-15-2017, 01:52 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Good luck Jack. My dealer was very honest and up front, I wish they would all be that way.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:06 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many thanks again for all the helpful comments,
I do want to apologize for the run-around, but after some debate, I decided to pass on the car. Too many unknowns and I felt that dealer/salesperson was not being honest up front. Hopefully some other opportunity will come by soon.
Cheers,
Jack
Sounds like they are fishing for an uninformed/educated buyer who would walk away feeling good getting the car at "msrp" while not fully understanding the true cost (i.e. hidden costs) of the funky lease deal. Stupid games and tactics are why car salesman as a whole get such a bad rep.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:05 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Geez, just sell you the car for chrissakes. When did all this become so f%cking difficult? Seems like every company is squeezing every last dime out of everything and making things so ridiculously difficult. I've been with GEICO for 25+ years but every time I try to make a change to my policy these days, they do this shady deal and try to slip in some extra crap I don't want. When did 'here's my money, give me that thing' go out of style?
So true

And I was just having the same freakin discussion about my insurance the other day now that the police found my stolen Lexus. That is why I use a Broker and let them do all the negotiating and work. Every year Insurance Companies try to screw you
Old 12-15-2017, 06:25 PM
jackmac
Racer

Glad that I didn't have my hopes up too high, I knew it was too good to be true, especially with the current market....but still fell for it. Passed info to another RL member hopefully he/she will benefit.
Thanks again everyone for the priceless comments.
Jack

Quick Reply: Canceled GT3 stripper build at MSRP....would you consider?