991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A drive in the GT3 Touring and Carrera T

Old 12-15-2017, 05:38 AM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Agh! The touring is going to get raved about, the speculators are going to push the price up, the collectors are going to garage them as an investment and I'll never get one
Old 12-15-2017, 05:58 AM
spydersmiley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PantsFire
Agh! The touring is going to get raved about, the speculators are going to push the price up, the collectors are going to garage them as an investment and I'll never get one
Don't think so. Unlike the "R", there should be more tourings on the market. My estimate: Approx. 2000 (on a total of approx. 8000 GT3).
Old 12-15-2017, 06:27 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Considering the Touring is just a config option, there is nothing to stop anyone, who already has a GT3 allocation, getting one. Indeed, I half expect that once the Touring reviews come out, a lot of people will change their config. It's quite possible that going forward, around 50% of GT3s will be Tourings.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:15 AM
GT3T
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Was sent this link to the press information for the GT3T and 911T Monte Carlo event. Thought I’d share as there is a break down on the specs of both cars and a discussion of the historical racing with the lightweights.

https://presskit.porsche.de/specials...rip/index.htm
Old 12-15-2017, 07:27 AM
Macduc
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Pete, great write up and good of you to take the time to share. I have a 991 T ordered (and a GT3 on its way) and I have no PCCB's on the GT but after reading your post I might change my T to have PCCB's ( it won't lock In til March). I couldn't get the GT3 with a manual as at the time when I locked in there was only PDK so the T will allow me to have both.

Are the PCCB's worth the (Aussie) $19,000?
Old 12-15-2017, 07:28 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3T
Was sent this link to the press information for the GT3T and 911T Monte Carlo event. Thought I’d share as there is a break down on the specs of both cars and a discussion of the historical racing with the lightweights.

VERY helpful - thank you!
Old 12-15-2017, 07:36 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PantsFire
It will be specced less because people want the wing (I want both!), but it won't suddenly shoot up in value vs. the winged '3

If it was a special edition or had a hp bump (think 928 GTS) then yes, but the Touring is just a different presentation of the same delicious recipe. There will be no value bump.

I like it this way, because people can buy what they want vs. trying to 'protect value' by making a defensive purchase on something that they should ultimately be buying for fun.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:48 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Considering the Touring is just a config option, there is nothing to stop anyone, who already has a GT3 allocation, getting one. Indeed, I half expect that once the Touring reviews come out, a lot of people will change their config. It's quite possible that going forward, around 50% of GT3s will be Tourings.
I can’t imagine 50%. I seem to recall reading a Porsche spokesperson saying around 20-30% which sounds more realistic to me. A lot will want PDK and a lot will want a wing, those two categories combined have got to make up more than 50%
Old 12-15-2017, 07:58 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3T

From the press kit:

In the vehicle interior, fine leather replaces Alcantara, emphasising the GT nature of the sports car
So, take the wing off of a gt3 and it becomes a grand tourer!
Old 12-15-2017, 08:05 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bardman

From the press kit:

So, take the wing off of a gt3 and it becomes a grand tourer!
Yep take a wing off of a GT and it becomes... a GT. Leave it to PR people to mix definitions of GT.

Especially laughable since, thanks to Mr. Stout, we now know it has the same front splitter and effectively the same rear downforce.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:31 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

Pete- thanks for addressing my question. Appreciate you taking your time and sharing these experiences with us.

Back in 2016 coming from a trade-in on a .1 GT3 to a GT4 ; I elected to test-try PCCBs on my GT4 because I had a significant amount of money to spend after the trade. Now, I was never sold that PCCBs would be a better set-up. To my surprise, the PCCBs are superior. People can argue all they want but after 2 weeks it was that evident. Plus- I got most of that investment back at trade-for my .2 GT3 because LWBs/PCCBs are sort after goodies on a second-hand GT4. I also have PCCBs on the .2. The .2 was not my build but I would not of bought a .2 w/o that option including Manual and Aluminum/Silver wheels which were all must-haves- for me
Old 12-15-2017, 12:16 PM
cajerseyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by spydersmiley
Don't think so. Unlike the "R", there should be more tourings on the market. My estimate: Approx. 2000 (on a total of approx. 8000 GT3).
I would expand the total number of GT3s to all GT3s ever produced with a wing. Then it becomes 2000 out of what, 50,000? (Not sure of actual GT3 production numbers). The other factor is that the number of people who would accept a wingless GT3 is most likely MUCH LARGER than the number of people who would accept a regular GT3. All this is speculative, at best, and I'm now beating myself up for contributing to the 'value' conversation. My apologies to the RL members.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:37 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R
I appreciate the detailed response here, as a father to young kids who enjoy riding in back.

Yes living the dream!
Stout with the knowledge bombs, it's a really pity minor changes make such a big deal.

It's also crazy that they require rear seats to be able to fit adults, it'd be great if 2+2's could have rear seats just for children/teenagers; of course idiots would probably put a couple of football players back there and then bin their car into a bus full of nuns.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:47 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Awesome thread. Thanks for taking the time to tell us your thoughts on the car, Mr Stout!
Old 12-15-2017, 06:05 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Hey everyone, sorry for the cross post from the 991 forum, but it addresses the GT3 Touring in brief. I am seriously beat after today, but it was one of the best driving days of my life. We got some video as well (not big dorifto, which isn't my bag, but hopefully still interesting and applicable). But I need to sit and mull all this, and find better wifi. And sleep.

[QUOTE=Petevb;14671750]
And Porsche's best deals (IMHO) are cars with more extreme experiences relative to their performance (like the Boxster Spyder). I guess the question Pete's trying to answer is if the Carrera T is one of those cars... [QUOTE]

What a day. Nine hours of driving on great roads in desolate countryside and mountain roads, culminating in the original Monte route, in winter on winter tires in 3.5-6.5 degrees C with snow next to the road, in a GT3 Touring chasing a Carrera T. Fast...and I do mean fast. And a bit hairy. All the time. I've driven a lot of Porsches on a lot of roads over the last 20~ years, but this was one of the top 2-3 most exciting drives of my life. Glad to be sitting on a bed in an ancient hotel room with my laptop on my lap, as there is no desk.

Too much to think about from today, and yesterday, but re: the question above, the answer is no. The Carrera T is not like the 987.2 Boxster Spyder, with that experience that adds up to far more than the spec sheet suggests. Nor is it like the 981 Boxster Spyder, which does in fact differentiate itself from the 981 Boxster S/GTS on several levels. The T is a Carrera+ that drives VERY much like a base Carrera. Faced with the decision, I would order it over a base Carrera and like it better than the GTS for a few reasons (more on this later), but the differences are not as great as I hoped they might be. Not even with SPASM and PTV/LSD. Now, one big grain of salt: snow tires...but the way we drove the cars, I don't think this was a major changer in terms of vehicle dynamics. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'll withhold a BIT of judgement until I drive a T stateside...but...I would not move out of a 991.2 Carrera/S to a T if it meant selling.

Now, about that GT3 Touring. Holy moly. I thought I had a good sense for the .2 GT3 MT from last summer's trip to the Eiffel. And I sort of did. Sort of. If the Carrera and Carrera T are all the 911 you need, the GT3/Touring are all the 911. What a car. The only heart-breaker, for me, is no rear seats. Otherwise, it is my perfect 911 full stop, and one I could drive for the next 20 years. Doesn't offer the incredible dual nature of the 991.2 Carrera, and it does tire you out on a long day because it's high strung and thus asks a lot of you, but it is one of the true automative masterpieces of the last decade, at any price. The only modern Porsches that approach or exceed it for total experience are the Carrera GT (V10) and 997 4.0. And that is saying a lot.

Need to think some more, but also need to be up in five hours to head for the airport in Nice. Will post back, and see about some video and/or photos when I have better wi-fi...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A drive in the GT3 Touring and Carrera T