Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   The OFFICIAL GT3 Touring owners pictures thread.. (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1038770-the-official-gt3-touring-owners-pictures-thread.html)

hf1 01-07-2018 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tangerine (Post 14715187)
As an owner of a Lava Orange 991 GTS, please go black with all trim options. Black Touring package, black wheels, black headlights if possible. I've seen some LO with silver trim and IMO it just doesn't work. There is a reason that they went with Lava Orange as the showcase color for the 991.1 GT3 RS--when you compliment it with enough black trim it just pops and looks phenomenal in the flesh. Any silver bits counteract the effect. As an artist I find it super interesting how Lava Orange has this extreme personality difference from just little trim bits, probably more than many other colors.

What about PTS Signal Orange, a classic rs/rsr color with chrome//silver trim?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a59d0bbea5.jpg

bluehorseshoe 01-07-2018 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Chris3963
these mesh grills have an historical connection to the original 911R.https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...46e05fdb4f.png

Thank you, that's what I was looking for.

bluehorseshoe 01-07-2018 07:05 AM

Signal Orange is a color that was available in 1973 but not now, Porsche has rejected it for 991.

I've been wasting a lot of time on PTS colors lately. Based on my research, here is the complete list of colors currently available that were also available in 1973 model year, either standard or optional.

Gulf Blue 328*
Gulf Orange 019*
Irish Green Y79* (change from orig. 213)
Lighter Green (Helgrun/Jade Green) 227*
Linden Green (Lindgrun/Lime Green) 226*
Light Ivory Y09* (change from orig. 131)
Ivory Z55* (change from orig. 132)
Light Yellow (Hellgelb) 117*
Sepia Brown (Sepiabraun) 415*
Signal Yellow 114*
Viper Green 225*

I would say they are all highly appropriate for the Touring. But as many have said, it's hard to find a color that looks horrible.

Oldmxnut 01-07-2018 07:05 AM

^^ ...re mesh.. see the touring is nearly more R then the R !!!

In regards to PTS, there is an ivory 911R over here that is very beautiful. Worth consideration.

bluehorseshoe 01-07-2018 07:17 AM

^^^^Old school.

_fletch 01-07-2018 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Chris3963 (Post 14715275)

Nice to finally see a red one (albeit CR not GR) and with Touring black package. Gives me a better idea of what mine will look like although I have gone for silver wheels.

I think that will look very good. Despite what others have said, the silver or satin aluminum wheels look amazing with dark colors - even black.

evilfij 01-07-2018 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe (Post 14715294)
Signal Orange is a color that was available in 1973 but not now, Porsche has rejected it for 991.

I've been wasting a lot of time on PTS colors lately. Based on my research, here is the complete list of colors currently available that were also available in 1973 model year, either standard or optional.

Gulf Blue 328*
Gulf Orange 019*
Signal Yellow 114*
Viper Green 225*

I would say they are all highly appropriate for the Touring. But as many have said, it's hard to find a color that looks horrible.

I had done the same.

You forgot Black A1 (700 in 1973) (I know, free on a GT3, but it was PTS on the GT3RS).

http://www.356-911.com/modelinfo/911...olours7173.htm

And Grand Prix white was available in 1973 even though it is not on the list above and is available PTS (the current “just” white is different than Grand Prix white).

Query whether PTS Metallic Green is the same as the 73 color. I could not tell from pictures mainly because there are so few Long hood era metallic green cars. Same question with olive and PTS Olive Green.

hf1 01-07-2018 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe (Post 14715294)

Gulf Blue 328*
Gulf Orange 019*
Signal Yellow 114*
Viper Green 225*

Thx for sharing your research. Given how good the gt3T would look with any of these colors with silver trim/wheels I was wondering what the basis was for Tangerine's objection to Lava or even Racing Yellow touring with silver trim/wheels. Maybe I'm missing some color/design faux-pas rules for color-matching?

Would be great to at least see some renders of these color combos. It's a given that silver trim/wheels would look great in a dark color but on the other hand a fun car calls for a fun (happy) color in my book. Just look at my avatar and sig pic. :)

GEC 01-07-2018 04:53 PM

WernerE 01-07-2018 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tangerine (Post 14715187)
As an owner of a Lava Orange 991 GTS, please go black with all trim options. Black Touring package, black wheels, black headlights if possible. I've seen some LO with silver trim and IMO it just doesn't work. There is a reason that they went with Lava Orange as the showcase color for the 991.1 GT3 RS--when you compliment it with enough black trim it just pops and looks phenomenal in the flesh. Any silver bits counteract the effect. As an artist I find it super interesting how Lava Orange has this extreme personality difference from just little trim bits, probably more than many other colors.

The silver works fantastic IMO with the image posted, and I say this as design student/connoisseur (LeCorbusier, Noguchi, etc), but I would never attempt to tell people to “please go black......” Too, black and orange reminds me of Halloween.

Tangerine 01-07-2018 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by hf1 (Post 14715289)

What about PTS Signal Orange, a classic rs/rsr color with chrome//silver trim?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a59d0bbea5.jpg

The older generations can pull it off much better. Just like what you're showing here, killer look. I just really don't think the 991 generation can pull it off the same way. I only saw a basic 911 done that way, not a GT3.

Love the classic oranges BTW. Signal Orange, Tangerine (hence the name), etc.

Tangerine 01-07-2018 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by WernerE (Post 14716269)
The silver works fantastic IMO with the image posted, and I say this as design student/connoisseur (LeCorbusier, Noguchi, etc), but I would never attempt to tell people to “please go black......” Too, black and orange reminds me of Halloween.

But that image isn't even a photo. Actual photos don't represent the paint colors well at all. And the online config tool is even less accurate than photos.

If you have seen it in the flesh and like it then great. I even had to confirm with the dealer "is this Lava Orange?" when I saw one in the flesh for the first time. (not mine, but when I was deciding on colors) It was a Turbo S and wasn't blacked out, and I almost eliminated the color after seeing it. Not until I saw a GT3 RS with all the black bits that it became awesome in my eyes.

I don't mean to be critical of anyone's choice if you have actually seen some combo (any color combo) and love it. Everyone should love their own car and get what makes them happy! I just want to warn people who have never seen the colors in person that you cannot be prepared for some colors.

It might even be how some people's eyes work, no idea. Lava Orange gets called "salmon" and "traffic cone orange" when people are insulting it. Salmon I don't get--I live in the PNW, I am no stranger to salmon raw or otherwise, and in the flesh I don't think Lava Orange has anything to do with fish. Traffic cone orange though? Absolutely yes--and I love it. I keep meaning to put a traffic cone on my car sometime and snap a picture. :)

hf1 01-07-2018 06:28 PM

Tangerine, pls post a pic or two of your LO GTS -- maybe under different lights and showing different shades of orange.

Tangerine 01-07-2018 06:32 PM

And to answer the poll, if I ever had a shot at a GT3T, I would take a gamble and do PTS Stone Grey. It is available as PTS, though (against my own advice above) I have never seen it in the flesh. From first hand accounts however, it is several shades darker than Fashion Grey, (with Fashion Grey being on shade darker than Chalk) and warmer/richer than Fashion Grey by quite a bit.

Black wheels really throw off the medium/light grays as cameras struggle to pick the right gamma range to adjust to. Newer cameras are even worse for this as they do localized brightness/contrast adjustments to create visibly pleasing/clear pictures, but are worse and worse for accurately representing colors.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...5a58463c1c.jpg

Stone Grey

Tangerine 01-07-2018 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by hf1 (Post 14716398)
Tangerine, pls post a pic or two of your LO GTS -- maybe under different lights and showing different shades of orange.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...9267c2f84a.jpg

Lava Orange.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...eeb8c6f5f1.jpg
Again it's super hard to know what anyone is seeing from this forum--you're on a computer or phone, who knows what the gamma of your device is set at, and even the picture itself is just taking some lighting conditions of that day. See it in person if at all possible.

This even brings up the proportions of the 991 911--I never think it looks that good in pictures. But walking up to it, that takes your breath away. :)