3.03%
PTS - Bright Colour
4.54%
PTS - Dark Colour
6.05%
PTS - Classic Vintage
14.58%
Voters: 727. You may not vote on this poll

The OFFICIAL GT3 Touring owners pictures thread..

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 12:23 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Can’t help with the other ones, but I would consider brushed aluminium in anthracite if you want lighter trim in addition to considering CF. Also, the extended dash is most noticeable outside the car and stands out most most deviated stitching. If you do get extra leather and deviated stitching, make sure your dealer notes in the order that the extra leather pieces should get the deviated stitching as well. A few have had issues where that did not happen.

I actually went the other way with the interior and made mine as Teutonic as possible as I am not a fan of Porsche leather — too much time in British junk I guess. I went base interior, with the Black aluminium replaced with leather for dash/console trim.

I also sent you a PM about something. Good luck with your choices! I don’t think I have seen a “bad” touring build yet.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:17 AM
dbrsfo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carrerafanboy
Hi all,

I have an October build that locks in a few weeks, and have read every post in this thread (some multiple times!), but still can't make up my mind on a few things...
I'm in the same place. My build locks in a few weeks. I too already have a GT Silver car - a 2012 997.2 GTS - with black interior, white gauges, and the standard GTS brushed silver dash trim (cup holder cover, etc). After considering every color out there, then deciding I did not love a PTS color enough to justify the delay and expense and possible disaster if my order were kicked / delayed and ultimately not reinstated / filled given how late this will be in the production run, I circled back to GT Silver for my build. I never get tired of looking at it. One feature that makes it pop is the high gloss back CLs with the silver lip surround. Unfortunately, the GT3 only has the flat black and only red lip surround is available, and I don't like that look with GT Silver. After struggling with which silver wheel to go with, I ended up with the standard wheel, as it will give more contrast with the gloss finish as I understand it. On the interior, I wanted to replace the cloth with all black leather, but it was denied, and for me the hounds tooth, which I think looks great, is just becoming too common since the anniversary 991 car came out. Then I too wanted to break up the black interior with one of the various trim options, seat belt colors, white gauges, etc. But ultimately I came full circle back to the features which make the Touring unique (and cannot be had on any other GT3). So I am sticking with the black metal dash trim and the cloth seat inserts. If you read this thread, you will see one post where someone tried to add the black metal trim to a winged car, and Porsche said no way. I am also going to forego deviated stitching, white gauges, silver belts, etc. What ultimately changed my mind was sitting in my G50 Carrera which is all black inside, and realizing how much I have always liked and continue to like that classic interior look. Feels like home. I am also going with the Touring Black package, as my personal taste is not for the chrome window trim with GT Silver. I am going with the extended leather package (30), steering column in leather (XNS), sport seats backrest shells in leather ((XWK) (I'm also going with the 18 way adaptive sport seats (my back will not like the buckets)), and leather visors (XMP), but still unsure of whether to get the other three leather options - CZW - Dashboard Trim Package - not sure I even like the stitching up there around the speakers, defogger vents, chrono; CXM - Door Panel Trip - I'm still unclear where this adds the leather; and XZM - Center Console Tunnel Sides - here too I am unclear - I thought the sides of the console were standard in leather, so unclear if this is just the "flaps" under the sides of the console - although one post has stated the option adds leather to the sides of the console itself as well as these flaps. And finally, the most important caveat of all - this is all about personal taste - if everyone liked the same thing, how boring would that be!
Old 06-17-2018, 04:47 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Carrerafanboy: To brighten up the interior a bit consider GT Silver Stitching. It is quite elegant and not quite as bright as a Pebble Grey. It will go perfectly with your exterior too. This is how the extended leather dash looks (don't mind the color, silver will look more dialed down, and props to autohausmarcus, one of the best Instagram Porsche accounts you'll find).
As shown, you can also specify extended dash to be in black stitching by the way. I'm strongly considering the black only for the upper dash because part of me feels it's too busy up there.

Unfortunately, your simplest choice, the brushed light aluminum trim (which is lovely by the way), is only available in the Touring via CXX and costs over $3k. Ask me how I know.

The houndstooth seat centers will help out a lot too, and also coordinate with GT Silver stitching.
Silver / grey seatbelts would also help.

One other way to go in lieu of deviated stitching might be white dials, if you don't find them offensive. Here's a comparison I did when considering this option.

As far as exterior, never owned but always wanted to own GT Silver. Strikes me as a color that one cannot get sick of but oftentimes the alternate for silver junkies is usually black or white.

Good luck!
Attached Images       

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 06-17-2018 at 05:13 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:59 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Carrerafanboy: To brighten up the interior a bit consider GT Silver Stitching. It is quite elegant and not quite as bright as a Pebble Grey. It will go perfectly with your exterior too. This is how the extended leather dash looks (don't mind the color, silver will look more dialed down, and props to autohausmarcus, one of the best Instagram Porsche accounts you'll find).
As shown, you can also specify extended dash to be in black stitching by the way. I'm strongly considering the black only for the upper dash because part of me feels it's too busy up there.

Unfortunately, your simplest choice, the brushed light aluminum trim (which is lovely by the way), is only available in the Touring via CXX and costs over $3k. Ask me how I know.

The houndstooth seat centers will help out a lot too, and also coordinate with GT Silver stitching.
Silver / grey seatbelts would also help.

One other way to go in lieu of deviated stitching might be white dials, if you don't find them offensive. Here's a comparison I did when considering this option.

As far as exterior, never owned but always wanted to own GT Silver. Strikes me as a color that one cannot get sick of but oftentimes the alternate for silver junkies is usually black or white.

Good luck!
where did you get the seat inserts? Thank you
Old 06-17-2018, 09:35 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Must give credit where credit's due.

My houndstooth inserts came from Garry Hall at Classic FX. They are of the highest quality and could say they're quite close to OEM-grade. Garry takes great pride in his work and is a joy to work with. I think they were roughly $800. Don't recall the price just recall it was a bargain relatively speaking.
Also, in the pic are Crazy Eddie's LWB bolster protectors. He's also first-class and has a similarly great product.

http://classiccarrestorationsurrey.c...-seat-inserts/
Attached Images   
Old 06-17-2018, 11:28 AM
Juli
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

@cebe Lago di Lugano is so beautiful - can´t wait to go back but next time with my Touring!
Old 06-17-2018, 01:29 PM
cebe
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Juli
@cebe Lago di Lugano is so beautiful - can´t wait to go back but next time with my Touring!
If you are coming from the North via Chur, you can try the ViaMala instead of the A13 for a change and also do the S. BERNARDINO PASS instead of the tunnel until Pian San Giacomo...
Did it today and it is the perfect tight road to enjoy a Touring, the traditional mechanical diff is wonderfully working on those hairpin bends!

​​​​​​
Old 06-17-2018, 02:29 PM
Juli
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cebe
Took it out this evening before a two day trip during the weekend, was supposed to be just for filling it up but could not resist doing about 25km of very twisty and narrow road .. Very enjoyable car at politically correct speeds, lots of torque at 3000 rpm out of tight corners in 2nd and 3rd gear.
With the RS I would not have enjoyed the experience, it would have been mostly frustrating for the impossibility to explore the car's capabilities.
Happy with the switch.

A short brake on the lake.
If you are coming from the North via Chur, you can try the ViaMala instead of the A13 for a change and also do the S. BERNARDINO PASS instead of the tunnel until Pian San Giacomo...
Did it today and it is the perfect tight road to enjoy a Touring, the traditional mechanical diff is wonderfully working on those hairpin bends!

​​​​​​
Thank you very much for the advice!
Old 06-17-2018, 02:36 PM
Siriuslux
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Cebe and Juli,

I did not do these roads as I live in Luxembourg and taking the S. Bernardino would be a rather long detour.
I regularly do the passo San Gottardo both ways as it is always nice, there‘s never too much traffic, even if the Autobahn / Autostrada is completely blocked.
By pure coincidence I took the old S. Gottardo going north when picking up my G50 Cabrio in Italy, very much enjoyed that, as well as the rest of the family.

Last edited by Siriuslux; 06-17-2018 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typo with the iPad
Old 06-17-2018, 05:56 PM
BOS991.2
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by carrerafanboy
Hi all,

I have an October build that locks in a few weeks, and have read every post in this thread (some multiple times!), but still can't make up my mind on a few things...

1. Extended Dashboard Leather: How do people feel about the soft touch(?) dashboard that comes by default with the leather package? Debating whether or not to go all out with the added leather packages (will do Steering Column no matter what).

2. Wheels: For those with the Satin Aluminum wheels -- how are they maintenance-wise? Since the finish isn't as smooth/glossy as the standard silver wheels, do they collect/trap dirt more easily? And for those with them -- have you applied a coating like CQuartz or Opti-Coat? Did that change the shine/color at all?

3. Interior Trim: I'm a little worried about the darkness of the Touring interior, and have been thinking of ways to lighten/break it up. For those with the Carbon Fiber Trim Package -- does the gloss of the CF help "break up" the interior a bit? Also considering deviated stitching, Trim Painted in Exterior Color (likely GT Silver), and aftermarket houndstooth inserts to accomplish this (my CXX was denied).

4. Color: Does anyone with GT Silver regret their choice? I love GT Silver, but already own a 981 Spyder in the color, and have been pushing myself to branch out and try something new. For anyone who had a similar dilemma, which color did you go with?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Can't wait to join your ranks as a GT3T owner

I have opti coat on my satin black wheels and it didn’t change the look of the finish at all. was very reluctant to do it however my ppf guy guaranteed they wouldn’t get shiny and he was 100% right
Old 06-18-2018, 05:16 AM
F1tifosi
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 50 Posts

Congrats Sr. Walker - love the subtle side stripes. Nice color pop without being too loud. Well done.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:20 AM
F1tifosi
Rennlist Member

Default Swiss

Beautiful pics - where in the Alps? Jungfrau region? Own an apartment in Kandersteg and just got back yesterday. So many beautiful roads, once you avoid the speed cameras, that I love experiencing in the Alps though my PCars are in the USA and I drive a basic Merc. in CH.

Another great drive . ...

All alone on the road for about 40 km up and down
Old 06-18-2018, 05:23 AM
F1tifosi
Rennlist Member

You must be a Bucks fan if your leveraging Esoteric. Heard they are terrific (l am in Cle)

Originally Posted by ChoyV
It is finally done, for now. Paint corrected, Miyabi/ISM Quartz coating, 35% Llumar ceramic tint, OEM clear sidelight and Stek Full Front PPF. Thanks to Dan and Zack of Esoteric. They always do an excellent job.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:49 AM
cebe
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 139 Posts

The pictures were taken on the Albula Pass, between Engadine and Albula Valley in the East of Graubunden ... not very popular with car drivers, mostly with bikers.
I own a vacation house in Berguen (Albula Valley).
Old 06-18-2018, 08:56 AM
James Walker
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F1tifosi
Congrats Sr. Walker - love the subtle side stripes. Nice color pop without being too loud. Well done.
Grazie Tifosi!!

Quick Reply: The OFFICIAL GT3 Touring owners pictures thread..