Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too refined?

Old 12-09-2017, 03:17 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts
Default Too refined?

I'm reading online and hearing from owners a lot of feedback on 991.2 gt3 being more refined. One guy gave it a "compliment" that the acceleration was almost Tesla-like because of how seamless the PDK was: "you literally can't even feel it shift". I passed on the 991.1 gt3 because it was just too much of a leap in refinement from 997. I bought a 991.1rs because it was just barely raw enough to get my attention.

AP's comments about the 991.2 gt3 being louder, less insulated, more visceral, etc; all the actual reviews/feedback say the opposite.

It will still make an amazing track weapon and crush lap times. But I'm almost at that point where Porsche's refinement is beyond anything I want to drive on the street for fun.

I get that evolution typically includes some level of refinement. However, I drove my 964rs and 997-4.0 back-to-back this weekend. While certain elements were more refined on the 2011, the 4.0 was every bit, if not more visceral/emotional as the 964. I can do a pro/con list for what each do better than the other but the 2011 is not any less raw of an experience. I believe the 991 platform was the beginning of a huge tradeoff in refinement vs emotion.

I'll still give the 991.2 gt3, 2rs and 3rs a try but I have a concern it may be my last I buy for a while unless one day I get enough time to justify a GT as track-only car.

As side note, 981 spyder bucks the trend; seems like it's designed for emotion first. Makes me wonder about the "pixie dust" on an R. I'm guessing a little less tire, insulation and some tweaking to suspension, etc could turn a very similar car (on paper) into a much different emotional experience on the street.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:25 PM
991DUC
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it comes down to perspective and what you are used to driving. I am coming from a 991.1 3.8 Carrera s which seemed a bit too refined for me.

I have 1500 miles on my 991.2 gt3 and it is an amazing car. Although it is refined enough on the street it really comes alive on the track. It is remarkable what the car is capeable of at the track straight off the showroom floor. It is the only street car I have ever driven that comes close to providing the excitement on the track that my Ducati 1098 super bike did. I think for someone like me who enjoys using the car the most at the track but needs enough comfort to drive it occasionally on the street and on road trips to far away tracks it is perfect.

Ultimately it is so fast that if I were not tracking it regularly I might have picked something like the boxster spyder instead for mostly street use.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,475 Likes on 2,265 Posts

if the road is striahgt, 991 is refined
when the roads bends, 991 is very involving as you paddle the gear box and it's most visceral when the road is winding and undulating with really poor pavement. i did the drive in 9911RS and 997RS4.0. in the 4.0 all i can think of is to keep it on the pavement, it's bouncing like pogo stick. i can bearly heel toe, or even operate the clutch. it was no longer fun. in the 991Rs. i was really busy but having fun.

so you need to find the right road. the cars are fine.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:35 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Yeah, agree that 991.1rs is fun in ways the 997-4.0 feels ooc, but I'm worried the .2 3rs will push it too far based on the feedback so far on 991.2gt3. Rifling thru gears in my old 991.1rs always brought a smile to my face. But if pdk is as seamless on the .2 as everyone says, seems like that much less drama being zapped from the experience?
Old 12-09-2017, 09:40 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Yeah, agree that 991.1rs is fun in ways the 997-4.0 feels ooc, but I'm worried the .2 3rs will push it too far based on the feedback so far on 991.2gt3. Rifling thru gears in my old 991.1rs always brought a smile to my face. But if pdk is as seamless on the .2 as everyone says, seems like that much less drama being zapped from the experience?
Old 12-09-2017, 11:17 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,475 Likes on 2,265 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
copy that. but the only way to know for sure is to order one and try it.
i thought pdk was stupid and useless UNTIL i drove one....
so wait 12 months, order one and see
Old 12-10-2017, 05:12 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

I guess the verdict is that the .2 Gt3 in PDK feels more refined than the .1 Gt3 but is that only when shifting gears or also overall ride? I like the rawness of the .1 Gt3 and i am interested to go to a .2 manual but if i will lose the rawness then maybe better i stick to the .1

If it is only transmission related then i am certain the .2 manual will give more of a driving connection so doubt the rawness will be lost but what do you folks think?

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2017, 07:10 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

I had .1rs in pdk, will likely try .2gt3 in manual, just as stop gap before I order .2rs in pdk. We'll see?
Old 12-10-2017, 08:30 AM
csfastp
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

I drove my GT3.2 on the track yesterday for the first time. And I agree the PDK is smoother, but the shifting is much quicker. The acceleration is vey quick coming out of the turns. I have to feather the throttle more that on the GT3.1. It was cool day and the tires seem to stick well but I was not pushing the car. My drive to the track was a lot of fun. The ride is much smoother on the highway. It still has the stock alignment, no track alignment. I have installed Auto Quest seat adjusters to the carbon buckets that made the ride more enjoyable to the track, also when harnessed in the car with Hans your head is able look up more and your helmet is not hitting the headrest. This car will be must faster around the track than my GT3.1. If you want a fun car for a daily driving and going to the track a few time a year then try to get one will not look back.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:55 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 931 Likes on 417 Posts

No doubt this car is more refined, I’ve commented on this issue on other threads. I’ve had 991.1 GT3, currently have a 991 RS that i track. I ordered my GT3.2 to be more of a daily driver and for weekends backroads driving, 4 ways and loads of leather. So far I’ve been quite shocked at how refined the car is. It has none of the lovely mechanical rattles, rumbles odd noises that I loved on my GT3.1. On a recent winding road drive I was shocked at how quiet the car was, other then really loud tire noise. Now I’m still babying the motor as precaution, and no doubt after a few hundred more mile I’ll start to wring it out and love the engine noise; but no doubt it’s not as raw of a car as the GT3.1 or RS. They’ve definitely engineered out the mechanical sounds other the engine and tire noise. I’m putting on Rahal bypass exhaust tomorrow. However, if your expecting the car to rattle and make noises like an RS- it ain’t happening. Call it progress? Call it perhaps what the general public wants? I’m not gonna lie, I was disappointed.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:24 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by disden
It has none of the lovely mechanical rattles, rumbles odd noises that I loved on my GT3.1. On a recent winding road drive I was shocked at how quiet the car was, other then really loud tire noise.

They’ve definitely engineered out the mechanical sounds other the engine and tire noise.

if your expecting the car to rattle and make noises like an RS- it ain’t happening. Call it progress? Call it perhaps what the general public wants? I’m not gonna lie, I was disappointed.
^^^^ this is what I'm talking about. I guess every old man (44) gets to a spot in life where progress is no longer progress to them. The 991.1rs was JUST raw enough for me. Based on AP's comments I was hopeful that the .2's were actually reverting back to a more raw experience. That ain't the case.

I wanted to keep 1 car out of this current series and assumed it would be the 991.2 3rs. I might actually end up with a spyder as the keeper from this era or maybe I look up the guy who bought my UV and beg him to buy it back. Or, even buy one of those oh-so-hated poser R cars

I'll wait to pass final judgement until I get behind the wheel of next RS (which is a while still). But this new gt3's character is going the wrong direction for me and the opposite direction of what AP claimed.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:40 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 931 Likes on 417 Posts

I got mine simply because I wanted a manual tranny. It’s great to be able to shift again, certainly adds something to the experience that I was missing. It’s stil a phenomenal car and would recommend it to anyone interested, but it surprised me a bit by how refined it was. I guess I want my sports car driving experience to be a bit more raw. However, on the upside it’s a great date night car with the wifey. She absolutely hates my RS!
Old 12-10-2017, 10:25 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
I got mine simply because I wanted a manual tranny. It’s great to be able to shift again, certainly adds something to the experience that I was missing. It’s stil a phenomenal car and would recommend it to anyone interested, but it surprised me a bit by how refined it was. I guess I want my sports car driving experience to be a bit more raw. However, on the upside it’s a great date night car with the wifey. She absolutely hates my RS!
Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
^^^^ this is what I'm talking about. I guess every old man (44) gets to a spot in life where progress is no longer progress to them. The 991.1rs was JUST raw enough for me. Based on AP's comments I was hopeful that the .2's were actually reverting back to a more raw experience. That ain't the case.

I wanted to keep 1 car out of this current series and assumed it would be the 991.2 3rs. I might actually end up with a spyder as the keeper from this era or maybe I look up the guy who bought my UV and beg him to buy it back. Or, even buy one of those oh-so-hated poser R cars

I'll wait to pass final judgement until I get behind the wheel of next RS (which is a while still). But this new gt3's character is going the wrong direction for me and the opposite direction of what AP claimed.
So if i don't want to lose anything on the rawness feeling, you both would suggest not going from my current .1 GT3 to .2 GT3 even if i got the .2 in manual? I am not asking what is more involving as a manual will always be more involving than a PDK but is it as raw of a feeling as the .1?

I traded my 50th for the GT3 and my 50th was manual and i loved it but after test driving the GT3 it felt worlds apart, the 50 felt more like a luxury car and the GT3 felt like a race car, so would going to the .2 make me going more refined / luxury feeling?

I have no doubt the .2 is faster and puts down more power and has more torque in the lower midrange i just don't want to trade then end up wishing i held onto the .1
Old 12-10-2017, 10:58 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

When mine shows up it will be raw-ified. All solid suspension links, open exhaust, squeaky brake pads, Hoosiers.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:18 AM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a lot has to do with most still in the break in. Once you start shifting at higher Rpm I think you will feel it more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Too refined?