Sponsored by:

GT2 RS vs Performante

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 03:55 AM
RSUV
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Don't get me wrong, I like the Performante and I might pick one up next year when they start trading at below MSRP. But Lamborghini is notorious for doing the N-Ring lap time with a ringer car and "special" tires. Started with the Aventador SV and the so claimed 6.59 min lap time. When magazines started to test the SV, it came nowhere near the 918, or the even less powerful 675LT's lap time. Then the Huracan Performante with the 6.52 min record lap time. If the ALA aerodynamic was that magical, then how come the Performante is a massive 1.7s off the mark on a 60 second race track?
except the 918 did a 6.57 ring time and was also slower around Hockenheim as per the list above. Wouldn’t that seem to verify the Lambo ring time? The two deltas are similar.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:48 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I like the Performante and I might pick one up next year when they start trading at below MSRP. But Lamborghini is notorious for doing the N-Ring lap time with a ringer car and "special" tires. Started with the Aventador SV and the so claimed 6.59 min lap time. When magazines started to test the SV, it came nowhere near the 918, or the even less powerful 675LT's lap time. Then the Huracan Performante with the 6.52 min record lap time. If the ALA aerodynamic was that magical, then how come the Performante is a massive 1.7s off the mark on a 60 second race track?

The Performante did 1.05.5 at Hockenheim and the GT3RS MR did virtually the same: 1.05.8.

The GT3RS MR did 7.10 at Nürburgring...
Old 12-08-2017, 04:50 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
but i cannot find one thing in 2rs favor
I fit in it with a helmet on.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:35 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
The Performante did 1.05.5 at Hockenheim and the GT3RS MR did virtually the same: 1.05.8.

The GT3RS MR did 7.10 at Nürburgring...
do you know if hockenheim short has changed over the years as I guess you spend plenty of time around the ring and might know a few people 'in the know'? The more I think about it the more the times seem almost unbelievably quick compared to just a few years ago. Especially given it's a 65-70 second lap. A second improvement is a huge amount nevermind 2-3+ as we are now seeing.

Cannot help but been wondering about this ever since the Manthey rs went round 3 seconds quicker. 3 seconds just on changing to the 3 way KWs with more focused track alignment and some other (really not hugely major) changes? The oem bilsteins and setup definitely aren't as good as the motorsport KWs but they aren't completely rubbish either.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:27 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by isv
do you know if hockenheim short has changed over the years as I guess you spend plenty of time around the ring and might know a few people 'in the know'? The more I think about it the more the times seem almost unbelievably quick compared to just a few years ago. Especially given it's a 65-70 second lap. A second improvement is a huge amount nevermind 2-3+ as we are now seeing.

Cannot help but been wondering about this ever since the Manthey rs went round 3 seconds quicker. 3 seconds just on changing to the 3 way KWs with more focused track alignment and some other (really not hugely major) changes? The oem bilsteins and setup definitely aren't as good as the motorsport KWs but they aren't completely rubbish either.

Sorry, Had lunch in Hockenheim, that is about it
Old 12-08-2017, 07:57 AM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't think there have been any changes to HH which would explain the time improvement of the MR racing RS. The gen2 GT3 went round in 1:07.9, which is 0.6s than the 991RS did originally. So that is well in line with expectations.

When you read the article, it seems to be more a case of the standard car not being set up well.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:59 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 861 Likes on 381 Posts

It seems that way, until you realize the 918 Hockenheim test was done all the way back in 2014. I would say the best benchmark for the Performante would be the GT2RS since these two cars are new and their N-Ring lap time were done in 2017.

Let's look at the comparison between the Aventador SV (so claimed "6.59min" lap time) vs. 918 (6.57min lap), just so that you can see my point and logic. Remember, Lambo is ONLY 2 seconds slower than the 918 on a 7 minute track.

All datas was verified lap times according to fastest laps:

Hockenheim
1:06.30 (918) vs. 1:07.80 (SV)
918 is faster by 1.5s

Willow Springs
1:23.54 (918) vs. 1:25.42 (SV)
918 is faster by 1.88s

Le Mans Bugatti
1:42.63 (918) vs. 1:47.35 (SV)
918 is faster by 4.72s

Thermal
1:17.18 (918) vs. 1:23.56 (SV)
918 is faster by 6.38s

Sachsenring
1:26.77 (918) vs. 1:31.79 (SV)
918 is faster by 5.02s

Vairano
1:09.54 (918) vs. 1:11.84 (SV)
918 is faster by 2.3s

Originally Posted by RSUV

except the 918 did a 6.57 ring time and was also slower around Hockenheim as per the list above. Wouldn’t that seem to verify the Lambo ring time? The two deltas are similar.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:26 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I would take a Performante over the GT2 RS if both were at sticker. i think they really nailed this car.
This^^^

The GT2RS just doesn't do it for me. However, the Performante is the first Lambo I've had a desire to buy.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:28 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 861 Likes on 381 Posts

Update: So my German friend read the article and the Cup 2 tires used on the GT2RS was a compound that is OPTIONAL on the car. This means GT2RS will come with two types of tires. Keeping this in mind, the Performante also used the Trofeo R tire, which is not the standard tire that the car comes with either (standard tire on the Performante is the Pirelli Corsa). So for the SportAuto test, both cars used the optional go-fast tire that doesn't come standard with the car
Old 12-08-2017, 02:43 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 129 Posts

The GT2 RS is pretty awesome but doesn't do much for me. If I could I would put myself in the Performante between the two. Strange automotive feelings for me as of recent. Never thought I would prefer Mercedes over BMW (long time M car owner) or Lamborghini over Ferrari but lately MB and Lamborghini have been making some really cool products. I know at one point there were talks of a mid engined car above the 911, is this still a thing?
Old 12-08-2017, 03:44 PM
isv
Pro

Originally Posted by Mika911
I don't think there have been any changes to HH which would explain the time improvement of the MR racing RS. The gen2 GT3 went round in 1:07.9, which is 0.6s than the 991RS did originally. So that is well in line with expectations.

When you read the article, it seems to be more a case of the standard car not being set up well.
Don't you think cars have recently seemed to have taken an extraordinarily big step in terms of performance? Ok tyres are getting much faster at a rate we've never seen before but even so. The .2 gt3 being 0.6s around a ~70 second lap track than the old RS is a good example of that to be honest with less mechanical grip and aero. a 3 second improvement around that track for the manthey RS over the standard car would extrapolate (ok bad assumption I realise but still) to something like 7-8 seconds faster around Spa which quite frankly seems impossible.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:50 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

^not just tyres but also suspension and aero. The ALA thing is kind of a big deal. And think about the computer systems that manage active suspensions and variable electronic differentials. They are faster than ever and can take in even more calculations faster giving the ability to adjust and fine tune that much more for road and track conditions. The new Rolls Royce Phantom uses GPS to adjust the transmission and dampers for upcoming elevation changes and road conditions. Imagine all that kind of tech that is trickling into cars. Progress is rarely linear. The advances we see year to year now will one day take months. Tis progress and I welcome it though you could call me biased as a technology professional.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:54 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

obviously, cars and tires improve year to year. but imo, a big part of the faster lap times in cars is the driver. thats especially true at the ring. the pro drivers who do these tests are getting more familiar with street cars in general and the tracks in particular. think about c&d lightning lap. that layout at vir is not available to practice on very much so each year they test, they get more experienced with the track and can push for faster times. the ring is getting absurd with soon to be 6.30 laps in street cars. takes quite a bit of bravery/stupidity to push to that level in street car and seems drivers more and more willing to do that each year.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:56 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

I would also agree with that but I still put most of the onus on the cars, not that the drivers aren't capable.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:04 PM
isv
Pro

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
obviously, cars and tires improve year to year. but imo, a big part of the faster lap times in cars is the driver. thats especially true at the ring. the pro drivers who do these tests are getting more familiar with street cars in general and the tracks in particular. think about c&d lightning lap. that layout at vir is not available to practice on very much so each year they test, they get more experienced with the track and can push for faster times. the ring is getting absurd with soon to be 6.30 laps in street cars. takes quite a bit of bravery/stupidity to push to that level in street car and seems drivers more and more willing to do that each year.
Not sure I entirely agree with that. Road tyres mean that a good pro driver should be able to get most of what is possible out of them quickly enough with not a lot of difference between them. The big differences come with slicks/single seaters when the divergence between drivers really starts to show.

Update: So my German friend read the article and the Cup 2 tires used on the GT2RS was a compound that is OPTIONAL on the car. This means GT2RS will come with two types of tires. Keeping this in mind, the Performante also used the Trofeo R tire, which is not the standard tire that the car comes with either (standard tire on the Performante is the Pirelli Corsa). So for the SportAuto test, both cars used the optional go-fast tire that doesn't come standard with the car
What chance the trofeo used by the performante used isn't a 'standard' trofeo either but they simply brought a less sticky tyre than Porsche this time... This is really a serious case of the laptime war gone nuts....

Quick Reply: GT2 RS vs Performante