Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My .2 GT3. Running commentary, ownership update, small mods.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 08:10 PM
GRPerformance
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 55 Posts

Everyone has their preference, and all I know is no design is stolen from anyone else. Its a fairly basic design across the board, lets make that clear. However, what can separate one shop from another is integrity, honesty, treating a customer really well, taking care of them on any and all future purchases and things of this nature. I do happen to think mine sounds the best, but we all are going to be biased I am sure.

At the end of the day, the customers buying experience and the responsiveness a customer gets when something does go wrong is what differentiates us. This is where I know, and I can guarantee GRP is the best. That along with the best possible product is priority #1 for us. Making money falls quite a ways down that list. As we have learned from our dealerships, making money is second to customer satisfaction. If the customer is happy, they will continue to come back, thus you will make money. Its pretty simple, but not a lot of people nowadays believe in this.

I would also stress that if you are going to buy headers, get clear proof they make gains. Truth of the matter is, through BBi experience and testing a huge variety of headers on the dyno, for the money there is very little performance to be gained. Porsche engineers are some of the best in the world, and they have absolutely done this right.

Lastly, why work with BBi. Well, Betim and I go a long ways back. I have raced Professionally for Porsche before in the RSR models, and Betim was there with Porsche Motorsport. If the man has the brains and the faith of Porsche Motorsport, I have faith in him. We are working together to improve BBi, we are working together to sell more systems, to increase inventory so everything is on hand at our facility in Indianapolis, and to continue to bring better products to the market. I am currently buying an in house dyno, we won't fib you guys, we will show everyone proof there is a gain or not. If there's not a gain, we will make that clear so you don't spend money on something thats not worth it.

I am one of you guys, I am not a "performance shop" like many of us have experience. I am an end user who got frustrated with the business, and fortunately through racing and other fronts have the ability to try and change it. I am fortunate in that sense, but I think all of you will be very pleased if you give us a shot as well!
Old 12-28-2017, 08:15 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
Fair enough, but my I ask: why do you prefer the GRP over the GMG bypass ? I think this is a fair question.
Fair question it is- I have heard( on video but not my first rodeo) both the GMG and GRP and they both sound great and have the bass that I am looking for. I like more bass(Porsche) than higher pitch(Ferrari). I had a SW on my .1 and also a very good bypass but like the 100 MM tips attached and figured why not try some thing different. I figured go GRP on Bypass(plus like the longer tips that extend beyond rear end) and possibly combine with GMG headers. So this way both can capitalize on my business. Also- my head Mechanic at my Dealer knows Graham and said he is the real deal so why not give it a shot.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:49 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Fair question it is- I have heard( on video but not my first rodeo) both the GMG and GRP and they both sound great and have the bass that I am looking for. I like more bass(Porsche) than higher pitch(Ferrari). I had a SW on my .1 and also a very good bypass but like the 100 MM tips attached and figured why not try some thing different. I figured go GRP on Bypass(plus like the longer tips that extend beyond rear end) and possibly combine with GMG headers. So this way both can capitalize on my business. Also- my head Mechanic at my Dealer knows Graham and said he is the real deal so why not give it a shot.
Being new to exhaust/bypass systems, is Sharkwerks the only one that allows you to keep the OEM tips on? That is important for me with any bypass option I go for (if I go for one). Also curious about the other side if any of these solutions have a higher pitch sound opposed to deep bass, I like that noise more *personally*
Old 12-28-2017, 09:13 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

SW allows you to keep the stock tips. I would say that SW takes the Volume from a 7 to a 9 while really not changing the actual OEM sound/pitch. Which may be a good thing for many. I had it on my .1 and was very satisfied. Also - their CS is top notch

I like more Bass gut some one else may be looking for more of a shriek. It all depends what you are looking for but for some may never be able to tell the difference. It depends how sensitive you are too sound. My Wife thinks I am nuts because every light switch in my house is on a dimmer. Lighting is very important to me. I do not like bright lights- to each their own.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:53 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 14 Posts

This is all helpful discussion! I tend to make decisions in changing anything on a car as well engineered as this very seriously so I love the input and definitely helped in making a decision for me!

Everytime I hear the engine run up the revs I want MORE.

Hope you you all are enjoying your cars as much as I am. Racking up miles over here!
Old 12-28-2017, 10:58 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

SW allows you to keep the stock tips. I would say that SW takes the Volume from a 7 to a 9 while really not changing the actual OEM sound/pitch. Which may be a good thing for many. I had it on my .1 and was very satisfied. Also - their CS is top notch

I like more Bass gut some one else may be looking for more of a shriek. It all depends what you are looking for but for some may never be able to tell the difference. It depends how sensitive you are too sound. My Wife thinks I am nuts because every light switch in my house is on a dimmer. Lighting is very important to me. I do not like bright lights- to each their own.
Looks like Sharkwerks is the bypass for me (if I go that route) as its a must to keep OEM tips for me - but obviously a personal choice and I am sure GMG and GRP etc are great options as well
​​
Originally Posted by Icutyou
This is all helpful discussion! I tend to make decisions in changing anything on a car as well engineered as this very seriously so I love the input and definitely helped in making a decision for me!

Hope you you all are enjoying your cars as much as I am. Racking up miles over here!
Can't wait!! Any thoughts or impressions after driving your car some more?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:24 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,101 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Looks like you are really enjoying the car a lot, props for driving her and enjoy many more miles.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:04 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,227 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Looks like you are really enjoying the car a lot, props for driving her and enjoy many more miles.
agree 100%. It’s great to see people driving these things, not just garage queens! Enjoy, keep us posted on what mods you’ve done.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:17 AM
Icutyou
Racer

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Looks like Sharkwerks is the bypass for me (if I go that route) as its a must to keep OEM tips for me - but obviously a personal choice and I am sure GMG and GRP etc are great options as well
​​

Can't wait!! Any thoughts or impressions after driving your car some more?
Yea it's a dream! I swear it keeps getting better and better. I am at this point used to resisting the urge to shift at about 7k rpm and let the engine scream throughout the rev range.
I got used to the stiff suspension completely. I don't even notice it until my small blonde passenger gets in and grumbles a little over bumps haha.
Even with slightly compromised grip with the winter tires the car is just stuck to the road an unbelievable. The steering feel is absolutely dreamy. So much input! I have to say I'm glad I have alcantara, it feels great to the touch and I feel like I have a better grip on it than the leather in my other cars.
Everything about the car is extreme yet predictable. Even with the back end coming out and nannies off, I can snap it right back to where I want it to go. This is with limited spirited driving in an autocross type situation. Can't wait to track it!! Was tempted to ship it somewhere and get some track time haha.

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Thanks! Clear markers are sitting at the dealer I just have to go get them. Both of us completely forgot to put them on when I went to get my headlights adjusted. For some reason they were completely off and re calibration made a world of difference,
Originally Posted by disden

agree 100%. It’s great to see people driving these things, not just garage queens! Enjoy, keep us posted on what mods you’ve done.
Will do! I have some things in mind but need to take a break before I end up divorced. I think next mod will be a chanel bag so I can justify dropping yet more money on the car haha.

Never understood garaging a mass produced, built for the street car. Plus I lack self control so no way in hell could I park it most days.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:44 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

I really think if you did the hood, alone, it would look pretty cool.

I actually thought about that! My friend has a GTS done exactly that way and I don’t wanna copy him too much haha.
Novel idea there, I like it!

Icutyou..... tastefully executed, your car looks great!
Old 12-29-2017, 03:54 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
Reach out to James at GMG for his bypass, he will work with you. The GRP is a rebranded BBI system and a rip off of GMG. I have purchased numerous exhausts from James and always a great experience, and I always deal with him the owner of GMG.
It actually is not a rip off of GMG. They have a different design. They are both tonally different. The GRP/BBI has an x-pipe design before exiting, this gives it a more high pitch sound. GMG and Sharkwerks bypasses are linked via a rear pipe, they tend to have a lower tone.

BBI/GR, RSS, CMS - X-pipe design with higher pitched tone BBI/GR has separate tail pipes and good build quality, RSS is cheaper, CMS has connected tail pipes

Sharkwers/GMG- Rear cross pipe design. GMG good build quality. Sharkwerks interchangeable exhaust tips.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:55 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like a fun road.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:19 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
Looks like a fun road.

shocked there is ino white stuff , is that near West Point or did you head south?
Old 12-29-2017, 08:07 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17

shocked there is ino white stuff , is that near West Point or did you head south?
yep that’s near west point was taken on Xmas eve.
Storm king highway and bear mountain. Not a snow flake in sight! Really beautiful drive. And a lot of fun when empty!
Old 12-30-2017, 03:13 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Quick Reply: My .2 GT3. Running commentary, ownership update, small mods.