Sponsored by:

COG: Final Outcome and Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 03:06 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Default COG: Final Outcome and Thoughts

The official letter from Porsche regarding the 991.1 GT3 extended engine warranty came in the mail today, and there was a surprise. Here is the exact wording of the letter:

Dear Mr. Carr

We are writing with pleasure to inform you of an enhancement to your New Vehicle Limited Warranty on your 2015 Porsche 911 GT3 model having Vehicle Identification Number (XXX). In addition to the bumper-to-bumper coverage, which you have for four years from your vehicle's original in-service date, or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, we are extending the coverage on your vehicle's engine.

Effective at once, the limited warranty on all your vehicle's internal engine components continues for ten years from your vehicle's original in-service date, up to 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

All other terms and conditions of your New Vehicle Limited Warranty remain unchanged and still apply as they appear in the Porsche Warranty Booklet that came with your GT3 model. You do not need to do anything in order to place this extension into effect; we already have applied it to your vehicle. This extended engine coverage, like all other terms and conditions of the Porsche New Vehicle Limited Warranty, are transferable to subsequent owners. Please keep this letter in your Porsche Warranty Booklet and ensure that it remains with your Porsche GT3 should you sell it.

You selected a flagship Porsche model and we are committed to offering you a delightful and worry-free ownership experience. All of us at Porsche appreciate your business and your loyalty.

Sincerely yours,

Glenn Garde
Vice President, Customer Relations

A few thoughts. First, this warranty extension does not limit coverage to finger follower-related issues only. This is huge. From all of our (COG's) dealings with Porsche this is not surprising at all, but I wasn't expecting it! They have gone above and beyond at every step of the process. Really good people. So to recap, we sent a letter to Porsche asking only for a meeting to share our concerns about the 991.1 GT3 engine. Porsche not only agreed to meet us, but they also sent key members of their team, and did a lot more than just hear our concerns. They ultimately decided to give us all a nice long warranty on a race car engine.

My hope is that this resolution once and for all puts to rest any notion that Porsche does not hear our concerns, or take them seriously. Porsche is a fabulous company, employing lots of amazing people. What more proof do any of us need now?
Old 12-05-2017, 03:13 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

That's really excellent, Rob! The GT3 community owes you a huge Thank You
Old 12-05-2017, 03:13 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

I want my 991.1 GT3 back now! Thanks for your hard work. Wish my RS got the same extension.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:15 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
A few thoughts. First, this warranty extension does not limit coverage to finger follower-related issues only. This is huge. From all of our (COG's) dealings with Porsche this is not surprising at all, but I wasn't expecting it! They have gone above and beyond at every step of the process. Really good people. So to recap, we sent a letter to Porsche asking only for a meeting to share our concerns about the 991.1 GT3 engine. Porsche not only agreed to meet us, but they also sent key members of their team, and did a lot more than just hear our concerns. They ultimately decided to give us all a nice long warranty on a race car engine.

My hope is that this resolution once and for all puts to rest any notion that Porsche does not hear our concerns, or take them seriously. Porsche is a fabulous company, employing lots of amazing people. What more proof do any of us need now?
Very well put Rob.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:22 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

While I'm not a part of this I had loosely read your threads on the matter out of interest.

Congrats and good on you and the team in getting a reasonable solution to the issue!
Old 12-05-2017, 03:44 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Never had any interest in a 991.1 GT3 because of PDK, but this is great for owners. Well done. And good for us hoping to eventually get a 991.2 allocation if more 991.1 owners hold on to their cars...
Old 12-05-2017, 04:27 PM
FredGT3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately in the UK there has been no acknowledgement of this whatsoever from Porsche or dealers from what I've experienced personally and heard from others.

Good for those of you that have received the warranty.

Regards
Fred
Old 12-05-2017, 04:29 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by FredGT3
Unfortunately in the UK there has been no acknowledgement of this whatsoever from Porsche or dealers from what I've experienced personally and heard from others.

Good for those of you that have received the warranty.

Regards
Fred
It is a worldwide extension. No worries.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:34 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

I got my letter last night and read that sentence about 10 times. I was very surprised to see ALL internals will be covered. Awesome work and thanks to you all. It was certainly the reason I just bought a lightly .1 GT3 for sure.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:35 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 119 Posts

Am I reading this correctly?? It is the entire engine warranty that is being extended? Not just warranty limited to the parts of the engine related to the publicized fires and failures?

if this is true I might just keep the .1 and forget about trying to get a .2 for now.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:37 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jarhead32
Am I reading this correctly?? It is the entire engine warranty that is being extended? Not just warranty limited to the parts of the engine related to the publicized fires and failures?

if this is true I might just keep the .1 and forget about trying to get a .2 for now.
Your eyes have not failed you.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:50 PM
pimpinon
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

This is extremely generous. To put in perspective, the warranty on my '16 will extend 3 years longer than the warranty on the new .2 GT3. Not sure there is any reason not to drive these cars now.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Your eyes have not failed you.
Rob, you have done great work on behalf of 991.1GT3 present and future owners.

Though I do not now own a .1, do you know what Porsche means when they say the warranty is limited? In what why is it limited?
Old 12-05-2017, 05:03 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nick
Rob, you have done great work on behalf of 991.1GT3 present and future owners.

Though I do not now own a .1, do you know what Porsche means when they say the warranty is limited? In what why is it limited?
Thanks Nick. All warranties are limited in some way, and this is no exception. Standard legal term and not something specific to this issue.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:03 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by pimpinon
This is extremely generous. To put in perspective, the warranty on my '16 will extend 3 years longer than the warranty on the new .2 GT3. Not sure there is any reason not to drive these cars now.
I don't think there was ever a good reason not to drive these cars! Mine has 21,000 miles and counting. I am slacking!

Quick Reply: COG: Final Outcome and Thoughts