Sponsored by:

COG: Final Outcome and Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 09:08 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

Rob
I just received my letter so it is now officially official. Did you notice the letter is signed by Glenn Garde, now VP of Customer relations. His position when we met with him was VP of After Market Sales.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:27 PM
datapath
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks so much, Rob, Ed, and co. Fantastic outcome! I also wrote Mr. Garde and thanked him, PCNA, and PAG for this fair remedy of the problem.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:51 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,795 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by CYKBC
Glad it all worked out, but this is something they should've done on their on volition. Actually, we should've never had to deal with it in the first place. No kool aid for me.
When you're pushing mechanical limits, things sometimes fail. I can forgive Porsche for not being perfect, and I'm glad they push limits. And I give them credit for producing cars which withstand heavy track use better than rival cars, regardless of whether they cost less or more than Porsches.

As far as doing this on their own volition, in their defense, they did cover all engine issues to date under the warranty.

Another glass of kool aid for me, please?
Old 12-05-2017, 10:55 PM
jj99c2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I received my letter today as well - thank you Rob and team!
Old 12-05-2017, 11:18 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

And suddenly... the world’s tracks were filled with GT3’s... Robmypro went from producing world-famous Hitler videos, to massively revaluing the gt3.1, while simultaneously freeing this car to be used on tracks as was their intended purpose. AMAZING WORK, you have positively influenced many peoples ownership experience.

(Oh, and Sean Groer too)
Old 12-06-2017, 01:20 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
@Rob thank you again sir!

Any idea how i can get this letter for people not living in the US?
Thanks. No idea, but fingers crossed that you are notified soon.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:21 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Thanks guys. Team and community effort!
Old 12-06-2017, 10:39 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Rob,
Got my letter a day ago and was surprised at the wording. We thought we had a great solution and this reads to be better! Thanks for your hard work and perseverance in making this happen. Glad I kept my .1 and at 19k miles it will continue to see more track duty!

With a smile,

Last edited by CDinSing; 12-06-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:49 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by CDinSing
Rob,
Got my letter a day ago and was surprised at the wording. We thought we had a great solution and this reads to be better! Thanks for your hard work and perseverance in making this happen. Glad I kept my .1 and at 19k miles it will continue to see more track duty!

With a smile,
Hey Carmen, yeah I was surprised, too. But i think it really makes sense, since finger follower wear could be attributed to just about any internal failure. Porsche probably just decided to cut to the chase and get ahead of it. Very cool. Makes the .1 GT3 a very special animal!
Old 12-06-2017, 12:07 PM
AlvinHuyN
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is amazing news and thank you Rob, Ed, and everyone else who have made this possible!

I assume this warranty stays with the car (I might want to pick up a second GT3 if that’s the case!)
Old 12-06-2017, 12:16 PM
robmypro
Race Director

BTW guys, I just got confirmation from PCNA that the program turned out better than they originally planned. So enjoy the engine warranty for 10 years, or 120,000 miles.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:23 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Got my letter from Porsche yesterday. Many Thanks for your efforts Rob, and BIG KUDOS to Porsche for standing 100% behind their products.
My bet is that most other Car companies would not have been so generous nor treated their customers as well as Porsche has.
In 2012, BMW also had an Engine issue which affected all owners of newly purchased S1000RR Motorcycles. Apparently the Connecting Rod
Bolts were Torqued incorrectly and several Engines self destructed. We were advised by BMW not to ride our bikes until WE fixed THEIR Engines.
FMI: https://www.sportrider.com/sportbike...d-bolt-problem.
I, and many owners in the BMW Owners Club requested the Engines be exchanged. BMW REFUSED TO EXCHANGE THE DEFECTIVE ENGINES..
We then requested they be returned to the BMW factory for repair. BMW REFUSED TO RETURN THEM TO THE FACTORY FOR REPAIR.
The only alternative BMW offered us was to return the Bike to our local Dealer for dismantling and rebuilding. The S1000RR was their Track Bike
equivalent to our GT3's with a 14,000 RPM Race Engine. To remove the Engine required extensive dismantling of the entire Motorcycle and
very few, if any, of the dealers had ever overhauled our Model Engine. All would be learning on the job and our bikes would no longer be a "BMW" product.
When a Motorcycle engine blows up, their is a good likelihood that the rider will lose control from the oil thrown under his tires and, in traffic,
this can easily be fatal. I, and many other affected owners in our BMWMOA, felt we had no alternative but to "dump" our bikes at a huge loss.
After many decades of owning many BMW Cars, in my case starting with a 1970's 2002, and many Motorcycles, most of us, like myself, swore
we would never again own any BMW product.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:07 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by CAlexio
And suddenly... the world €™s tracks were filled with GT3 €™s... Robmypro went from producing world-famous Hitler videos, to massively revaluing the gt3.1, while simultaneously freeing this car to be used on tracks as was their intended purpose. AMAZING WORK, you have positively influenced many peoples ownership experience.

(Oh, and Sean Groer too)
Thanks! I need to make a new Hitler video!
Old 12-06-2017, 01:29 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Thanks! I need to make a new Hitler video!
Please do. Lol
Old 12-06-2017, 02:10 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Got my letter from Porsche yesterday. Many Thanks for your efforts Rob, and BIG KUDOS to Porsche for standing 100% behind their products.
My bet is that most other Car companies would not have been so generous nor treated their customers as well as Porsche has.
In 2012, BMW also had an Engine issue which affected all owners of newly purchased S1000RR Motorcycles. Apparently the Connecting Rod
Bolts were Torqued incorrectly and several Engines self destructed. We were advised by BMW not to ride our bikes until WE fixed THEIR Engines.
FMI: https://www.sportrider.com/sportbike...d-bolt-problem.
I, and many owners in the BMW Owners Club requested the Engines be exchanged. BMW REFUSED TO EXCHANGE THE DEFECTIVE ENGINES..
We then requested they be returned to the BMW factory for repair. BMW REFUSED TO RETURN THEM TO THE FACTORY FOR REPAIR.
The only alternative BMW offered us was to return the Bike to our local Dealer for dismantling and rebuilding. The S1000RR was their Track Bike
equivalent to our GT3's with a 14,000 RPM Race Engine. To remove the Engine required extensive dismantling of the entire Motorcycle and
very few, if any, of the dealers had ever overhauled our Model Engine. All would be learning on the job and our bikes would no longer be a "BMW" product.
When a Motorcycle engine blows up, their is a good likelihood that the rider will lose control from the oil thrown under his tires and, in traffic,
this can easily be fatal. I, and many other affected owners in our BMWMOA, felt we had no alternative but to "dump" our bikes at a huge loss.
After many decades of owning many BMW Cars, in my case starting with a 1970's 2002, and many Motorcycles, most of us, like myself, swore
we would never again own any BMW product.
IMO, the challenge for Porsche in this case is they knowingly kept producing a unreliable/flawed engine. They changed the design on the GT3 RS and 911R after GT3 R testing, while keeping on producing GT3s as MY2016s overlapping the 4.0L and 3.8L production. I don't view it as an act from an amazing company, but rather an action to hopefully stave off litigation.

Quick Reply: COG: Final Outcome and Thoughts