Best Paint Protections Film for a GT Silver GT2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 11:37 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Best Paint Protections Film for a GT Silver GT2 RS

I am not well informed on PPF wraps but I have a few questions please:
1) What is regarded as the best wrap currently available?
2) Is it necessary to wrap the entire car or just the front end?
3) what would be considered a very good price for the entire vehicle or just the front end?

Please note this car will be rarely, if ever, tracked (I am not good enough, yet).

Thanks
Old 12-05-2017, 11:51 AM
Obturate
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I think choice of PPF depends on which model of Porsche you have.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:08 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Obturate
I think choice of PPF depends on which model of Porsche you have.
991 GT2 RS in GT Silver Metallic
Old 12-05-2017, 01:03 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
991 GT2 RS in GT Silver Metallic
Wrap the whole car in Xpel. This is a very special car that you want to protect and take care of.

In your case consider the Xpel Ultimate,or better yet, Xpel Stealth to give the car a unique Satin finish which is not much more to go this route.

Picking your installer is more important than the Film. I have seen it all and been thru it all. Years ago went the cheap route and cost me $2000 to have the it removed and installed by a different installer. This type of work is an art and your car is just the canvass
Old 12-05-2017, 01:05 PM
Hashlak
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the case of this specific car, dont hold back.

Highly recommend you get the whole car detailed, coated and then covered in Xpel Ultimate or Stealth depending on your preference
Old 12-05-2017, 01:15 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

I strongly advice to go see different films installed in person on a GT Silver metallic 991 and judge yourself both quality of installation and film transparency.
In my experience Suntek is a better film and provides the best clarity (and overall a better product).
Old 12-05-2017, 01:16 PM
go-ran
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Theres expel and suntek. Check which one your installer likes working with the most and go from there. There outcome will be more dependant on the installer rather then the film.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:17 PM
mrhamamg
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Wrap in xpel ultimate and don't look back

I just wrapped mine in full xpel on Friday. On saturday I was driving and an R8 blew by me. His diffuser clipped the pavement, caused a barrage of rocks and gravel to fly up and hit my bumper at ~70 mph. Was strong enough to put a chip in the winshield and nicked the xpel film on bumper and hood a bit but didn't get through to the paint. If I weren't wrapped, I'd be crying still

Old 12-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

One contrarian vote for going commando.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:50 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

I'd also leave it alone.
I would venture a guess that the vast majority of GT2RS will not be driven much, if at all.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:55 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

I just went through this exact exercise. If you'd like some information overload, you could dig into this.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:59 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did entire front end and mirrors and rear quarter panel to get rid of Porsche stone guard. I have a problem with the many look and the shop I use suggest Clear Guard Nano. Not sure how others look but had paint corrected and you can't tell what is wrapped vs uncovered.

http://prestige-films.com/clearguard-nano-sr/
Old 12-05-2017, 02:05 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 383 Posts

I think there are good films for different purposes. Are you going to track the car a lot or drive it on gravely roads? If so, I'd want a thicker film like 3M or Xpel. Do you want amazing clarity and for it to be more about the color than the protection? If so, maybe Suntek.

I had 3M on my 997.2 GT3 twice over the years and never so much as one puncture through to the paint despite some sandblasting. On the other hand, I had Suntek on my GT4 and the first month I had it, a small rock pierced the film and nicked the hood. The protection was nowhere near as good. Consider thickness/protection when considering which film.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:10 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
One contrarian vote for going commando.
You’re not alone I agree with you
Old 12-05-2017, 02:43 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 770 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
I am not well informed on PPF wraps but I have a few questions please:
1) What is regarded as the best wrap currently available?
2) Is it necessary to wrap the entire car or just the front end?
3) what would be considered a very good price for the entire vehicle or just the front end?

Please note this car will be rarely, if ever, tracked (I am not good enough, yet).

Thanks
1. BEST is purely up to YOUR needs. It's like saying "Guys, what's the BEST PORSCHE?" For a family, a Cayenne will fit the bill. For a speed enthusiast that has an unlimited budget, perhaps a 918 is the BEST choice.

With that said, is your 911 a daily driver, track car, something fun to drive once in a while, etc? There are a few great films out there that many speak of highly, but each one has its pros and cons...so it comes down to what your needs are. I can guide you based on that input.

2. Most 911s, full front is adequate. With the wide bodies, definitely get extended rockers as well. For the ultimate in protection AND aesthetics, do the whole car.

3. This now comes down to the skill of the installer, the depth of coverage, and how seamless of an installation you're after. Once installer may only offer pre-cut kits for the door. This is fine, but you'll have a seam at the mirror and the door cups. Another installer may be more advanced in skill and can remove the mirror and door handle and do a custom door and give you a seamless installation.

A healthy budget based on location and level of coverage by a proficient installer would be around $6-10K depending on region,scope of installation, and expertise of installer. Hope that helps.

For what it's worth, we're running a Group Buy on PPF installation:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...group-buy.html

Quick Reply: Best Paint Protections Film for a GT Silver GT2 RS