Sponsored by:

PTS Repaint

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 09:36 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts
Default PTS Repaint

I don't have a GT3 yet, waiting for almost 2 years now. Will see if I luck out on an allocation. I'd ask for PTS. I'd probably go nuts and PPF the whole thing.

Curious on the quality and colour accuracy from a body shop in case there is an accident, paint chip etc. It's a paint formulation so should be repeatable but from experience it's not that simple.

Does anybody have experience with getting a PTS car repainted by a body shop?
Old 12-05-2017, 09:53 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Honestly doesn't matter if it's PTS or a normal paint color. All of Porsche's paint formula's have a paint code, which specifies the formula for the color. Depending on color/age, etc , there maybe fading. But a good shop should be able to match the paint and blend the panels. Not something I would worry about. A metallic color can be difficult due to the metal flake that can lay differently in the paint and make it more obvious the panel was painted. But a good shop should be able to make things match if they know what they are doing.

If PTS was true paint to sample, matching would be very difficult, since the color on your car would truly be one of a kind.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:06 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Todd B
Honestly doesn't matter if it's PTS or a normal paint color. All of Porsche's paint formula's have a paint code, which specifies the formula for the color. Depending on color/age, etc , there maybe fading. But a good shop should be able to match the paint and blend the panels. Not something I would worry about. A metallic color can be difficult due to the metal flake that can lay differently in the paint and make it more obvious the panel was painted. But a good shop should be able to make things match if they know what they are doing.

If PTS was true paint to sample, matching would be very difficult, since the color on your car would truly be one of a kind.
My PTS choice would be the truest sense but an already produced colour. My bad experience was on a 2012 Acura TL, got a stone in the hood to the metal within a week of ownership. Required repaint and another repaint and still was not 100%. It was a metallic black paint and under certain lighting looked very different from the adjacent fender panels. Especially evident when a photo was taken in my underground parking garage. Brutal.

How do they match to existing paint? Paint sample chips and hold up o existing panel?
Old 12-05-2017, 04:33 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
My PTS choice would be the truest sense but an already produced colour. My bad experience was on a 2012 Acura TL, got a stone in the hood to the metal within a week of ownership. Required repaint and another repaint and still was not 100%. It was a metallic black paint and under certain lighting looked very different from the adjacent fender panels. Especially evident when a photo was taken in my underground parking garage. Brutal.

How do they match to existing paint? Paint sample chips and hold up o existing panel?
For what it's worth, a lot of Acuras roll off the line with unmatched paint. Bumpers and other panels are sprayed at a completely different location. Your TL may not have matched to begin with.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:59 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

PTS is just normal paint unless you are having them custom mix something. Suspect that is not what we are talking about. If it is just an out-of-production or non-standard color then any body shop that is decent should be able to color match.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:33 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I had the rear quarter panel of my Guards Red, not an easy match, '10' GT3 painted and no one could tell. Use a well trusted shop and you should be fine.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:55 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

You guys sound pretty confident that it's an easy thing to colour match pts. Have you ever tried?

i wanted to shoot my GT4 wheel centres in gelb grun, sa said Porsche won't reveal formula. In the end, I had to pick a vinyl to match.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:22 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
You guys sound pretty confident that it's an easy thing to colour match pts. Have you ever tried?

i wanted to shoot my GT4 wheel centres in gelb grun, sa said Porsche won't reveal formula. In the end, I had to pick a vinyl to match.
Why would anyone consider Porsche PTS and not be able to match it?
Old 12-05-2017, 07:52 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Codes never match perfectly, and paint can change color vs time. A good shop will mix / adjust on test panels until it’s a great match.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:11 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
You guys sound pretty confident that it's an easy
thing to colour match pts. Have you ever tried?
i wanted to shoot my GT4 wheel centres in gelb
grun, sa said Porsche won't reveal formula.

Jamie140: You should have asked me! I mix 'Gelbgrün'
every Monday at 10 AM & every-other Thursday at 3PM
in my kitchen sink! Here is the color formula. You need
to get a more resourceful SA or one that is at least better
educated about the modern automotive paint 'scene' in
Canada & elsewhere in the World today!

Seriously, do any of you guys think that
a respectable auto manufacturer would
paint a car a certain color (regular or PTS)
at their factory & then withhold the color
formula from you (the customer) or your
representative (dealer or auto paint shop)
so that you can NOT properly do a touch
up or repaint a panel in case of an accident
or anything else?

Please......

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 12-05-2017, 08:16 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

What is the paint code for the green on the 911R stripes?
Old 12-05-2017, 09:08 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Craigy
For what it's worth, a lot of Acuras roll off the line with unmatched paint. Bumpers and other panels are sprayed at a completely different location. Your TL may not have matched to begin with.
I had before and after pics under the same conditions, particular like that. It was so obvious. Interesting comment on poor paint from Acura though, why that would be acceptable is beyond me.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:10 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Interesting comments all.

Not sure I feel better. Guess the ticket is in finding a solid reputable shop that does excellent paint work.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:20 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
I don't have a GT3 yet, waiting for almost 2 years now. Will see if I luck out on an allocation. I'd ask for PTS. I'd probably go nuts and PPF the whole thing.

Curious on the quality and colour accuracy from a body shop in case there is an accident, paint chip etc. It's a paint formulation so should be repeatable but from experience it's not that simple.

Does anybody have experience with getting a PTS car repainted by a body shop?
So you are “curious” about matching PTS in an accident that you have not had and may never have. IMO many other things to occupy your time instead of
“what if’s”
Old 12-05-2017, 09:29 PM
bretster
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a PTS 987.1 Cayman S in Linen Metallic with the center console painted in exterior color. While my Indy was reinstalling a seat, his back gave out and the seat scratched the center console. They sent pictures of the damage and told me they would repaint the console. I feared the worst, but everything matched perfectly in the end. I would not worry too much about matching the paint is needed, but I would also apply PPF liberally!

Quick Reply: PTS Repaint