.1 and .2 GT3 stock spring rates? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

.1 and .2 GT3 stock spring rates?

Reply

Old 12-05-2017, 12:49 AM
  #1  
Mvez
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Mvez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,121
Default .1 and .2 GT3 stock spring rates?

Does anyone know or have info about the actual stock spring rates for either the .1 or .2 GT3/RS ? I can't find it anywhere.

The eagle has landed and the work begins.....
Mvez is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:07 AM
  #2  
SmokinGTS
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SmokinGTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 900
Default

Yes The spring rates for the 991-I GT3 and 991-II GT3 are as follows...
991-I GT3

Front: 45 N/mm (257 lb/in)

Rear: 120 N/mm (685 lb/in)

991-II GT3

Front: 45 N/mm (257 lb/in)

Rear: 120 N/mm (685 lb/in)
SmokinGTS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:59 AM
  #3  
Mvez
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Mvez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,121
Default

Thanks, those looks almost identical to 997.2 GT3 spring rates.

I confirmed with Bilstein that their Clubsport kit will be identical for the .2 GT3, with rates of 90 N/mm (456 lb/in) and 160 N/mm (913 lb/in).

Last edited by Mvez; 12-06-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Mvez is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:48 PM
  #4  
FastLaneTurbo
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
FastLaneTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Port Orange, FL
Posts: 842
Wink

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS View Post
Yes The spring rates for the 991-I GT3 and 991-II GT3 are as follows...
991-I GT3

Front: 45 N/mm (257 lb/in)

Rear: 120 N/mm (685 lb/in)

991-II GT3

Front: 45 N/mm (257 lb/in)

Rear: 120 N/mm (685 lb/in)
Thank you. Very interesting. Some early .2 owners felt like the .2 was firmer than the .1.
This could be differences in Tire Side wall stiffness between the MPSC2 N0 vs the MPSC2 N1's or differences in Shock Absorbers.

Does anyone know if the same Shock Absorbers are used on the .1 vs the .2?

BTW, A "modified" GT3RS with unstated HP (very unusual) driven by Christian Gebhardt has recently set a new Hockenheim Short Track Lap Record @ 1:05.8,
faster than the Porsche 918 Spyder time of 1:06.30 with 887 HP. Same Driver drove the MB AMG GT-R with 585 HP in 1:06.4 and ZO6 C7 Corvette, 659 HP in 1:06.9,
Ferrari 488 GTB in 1:07.0, Lamborghini Hurracan 610-4, 609 HP in 1:07.50, Porsche 911 GT3-2, 500 HP in 1:07.9, Porsche GTS, 450 HP and presumably on "Street tires" in 1:08.00.

Porsche TTS-2 Time is 1:07.5, TTS-1 is 1:08.2, 991-1 GT3RS-1 is 1:08.5 with GT3-1 Time of 1:09.2

I suspect the "Modified GT3RS", the new Lap Record Holder of Hockenheim, is actually the new GT3RS-2. WOW!!!!! And the new GTS with "only" 450 HP is likely as fast as the GT3 WOW-WOW
FastLaneTurbo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:52 PM
  #5  
TomTomTom
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 41
Default

Wasn't that the "Manthey" GT3 RS?

That is not the 991.2 GT3 RS.
TomTomTom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:16 PM
  #6  
Mvez
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Mvez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,121
Default

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo View Post
Thank you. Very interesting. Some early .2 owners felt like the .2 was firmer than the .1.
This could be differences in Tire Side wall stiffness between the MPSC2 N0 vs the MPSC2 N1's or differences in Shock Absorbers.

Does anyone know if the same Shock Absorbers are used on the .1 vs the .2?

BTW, A "modified" GT3RS with unstated HP (very unusual) driven by Christian Gebhardt has recently set a new Hockenheim Short Track Lap Record @ 1:05.8,
faster than the Porsche 918 Spyder time of 1:06.30 with 887 HP. Same Driver drove the MB AMG GT-R with 585 HP in 1:06.4 and ZO6 C7 Corvette, 659 HP in 1:06.9,
Ferrari 488 GTB in 1:07.0, Lamborghini Hurracan 610-4, 609 HP in 1:07.50, Porsche 911 GT3-2, 500 HP in 1:07.9, Porsche GTS, 450 HP and presumably on "Street tires" in 1:08.00.

Porsche TTS-2 Time is 1:07.5, TTS-1 is 1:08.2, 991-1 GT3RS-1 is 1:08.5 with GT3-1 Time of 1:09.2

I suspect the "Modified GT3RS", the new Lap Record Holder of Hockenheim, is actually the new GT3RS-2. WOW!!!!! And the new GTS with "only" 450 HP is likely as fast as the GT3 WOW-WOW
The shocks are the same for the .1 and .2, but the internal valving and electronic control have been re-worked a bit, per Porsche.

The modified 3RS is the Manthey car, which has a set of KW racing shocks from the GT3R on it, which is where most of the lap time is coming from. Stiffer spring rates and manually adjustable shocks are really what help this car shine on track. Exactly why I'm adding a set of Bilstein Clubsports to mine.
Mvez is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:33 PM
  #7  
C2Spin
User
 
C2Spin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: KY, USA
Posts: 362
Default

Did anyone notice that their .2 sat higher at the front lip than the .1? My .2 was 1/2” higher. Wasn’t sure if I need to drive the car (only10 miles) to get springs to settle(?) or should I just go ahead and lower the 1/2”-1” that I can with stock suspension? Appreciate your feedback.
C2Spin is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:33 AM
  #8  
SmokinGTS
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SmokinGTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 900
Default

The RS has the same spring rates, I just want my car to handle like a RS. So whats the difference? The Box?
SmokinGTS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:39 PM
  #9  
FastLaneTurbo
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
FastLaneTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Port Orange, FL
Posts: 842
Default

Originally Posted by Mvez View Post
The shocks are the same for the .1 and .2, but the internal valving and electronic control have been re-worked a bit, per Porsche.

The modified 3RS is the Manthey car, which has a set of KW racing shocks from the GT3R on it, which is where most of the lap time is coming from. Stiffer spring rates and manually adjustable shocks are really what help this car shine on track. Exactly why I'm adding a set of Bilstein Clubsports to mine.
In 1995 I had the privelege of working with Hans Stuck at Sebring on our newly delivered 993 GT2 Race Cars. Our cars had 4 sets of Springs, each with different Spring Rates. Each set had a 4 position rotating collar which locked the adjacent coils further adjusting Spring Rates. His lap times kept improving with each increase of
Spring Rates until we had maxed out both Front and Rear Spring until we had reached the absolute stiffest spring rates available. My recollection is they were
about 1,750 Lbs / corner, practically "Locked and Welded" which I used during the next 10 years of successfully racing that car.
Re the Manthey GT3RS, considering the incredible Laptimes, I would expect Porsche has been carefully observing those results and I would be surprised
if they did not incorporate many of those modifications in both the new GT2RS and GT3RS.
FastLaneTurbo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:19 AM
  #10  
Chris R.
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Chris R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,749
Default

Since we are talking setup, what's a good baseline alignment, ride height for the new car (or the 991.1) for track use?
Thanks
Chris R. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:10 PM
  #11  
NoleenELT
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
NoleenELT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: OH - 1995 C2
Posts: 169
Default

Does anyone know the spring rates for the KW Clubsport kit for the 991 GT3 (part # 39771255)?
NoleenELT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:16 PM
  #12  
FourT6and2
User
 
FourT6and2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 578
Default

If the 991.1 and 991.2 GT3 both have the same shocks and springs, then why is the ride of the new .2 GT3 softer and more compliant on public roads?
FourT6and2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:35 AM
  #13  
Cay_PI
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 77
Default

Slightly modified dampers and softer PASM setup.

I would like to have stiffer springs in my .1.
Cay_PI is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:55 PM
  #14  
doba_s
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
doba_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Danville, CA
Posts: 376
Default

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS View Post
Yes The spring rates for the 991-I GT3 and 991-II GT3 are as follows...
991-I GT3

Front: 45 N/mm (257 lb/in)

Rear: 120 N/mm (685 lb/in)

991-II GT3

Front: 45 N/mm (257 lb/in)

Rear: 120 N/mm (685 lb/in)
where does these data come from?

I just measured rear 991.1 GT3 spring and its 560lb/in

Also 991.1 GT3 springs have different part numbers compare to 991.2

also spring shape on 991.1 is different vs 991.2 . Coils are a lot thicker on 991 and spacing is different. 991.2 looks more like a progressive spring.
doba_s is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: .1 and .2 GT3 stock spring rates?


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: