Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me understand Porsche's Business Model...

Old 12-08-2017, 10:09 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
First of all, if there is a car representing Porsche "Halo car" is the GT3, it's supposed to be the cup car for the street, it's these cars that represent the brand in tracks around the globe, with it's owners. 918 was a tech showdown, an halo car, but it has gone now, so GT cars are the actual Halo cars of a brand that has 90% of a line up with cars less powerful and fast than any GT car. Then, Porsche isn't making limited GT3 or GT4 or even GT2 RS, they are making as many as they can produce in a time stamp. You will ask "Why don't they make more?" Because they don't need to and they already make a LOT of them.

But even if they didn't made a lot of them, A LOT of people buy GT3's and RS because they know they can drive the **** out of it for a year or half a year, sell it, and in the worst case scenario, they will not lose money. So this could very well be part of Porsche business model, to have limited production of GT cars, but it isn't. They did limited runs of the 4.0 and GT2 RS because people were scrapping for coins and no one had ***** at the time.

You don't have an allocation, because you don't have a relationship with your dealer, try another one. Pay ADM, wait it out, or you should had remembered that you wanted one earlier and put a deposit on the car before everyone else.
As for the PTS thingy, that's a fantasy, so it's not really a "let's say" type of thing.
US has the 918 program, because they were pretty sure they wouldn't sell the 918 and it would end up like the XJ220, so they did this just to sweeten the deal and the clients that bought the 918 were pretty charitable with Porsche, remember the economy was about to tank even more in 2012-13, so people that bought them took Porsche out of a pickle, in Porsche mind, they deserved a reward. In the end they have to honor the program until today. What's your point? They flip them, so what? More cars in a limited buyers market, faster depreciation, you should be thankful.

Plus, why would Porsche sell a GT3 (RS) to you instead of the guy that deposited a LOT of trust (1M for a car in 2012 was A LOT of trust) in your brand for a car that no one really knew what to expect? Or even other people that never got a 918 but have a better car history? Or the Mootys or Trakcar of this Porsche world? What makes you so entitled to one? Money? Plenty of people have money.

But at the end of the day, if you go around, you will find an allocation, if you don't, just wait it out, Porsche pumped up so much GT cars and between this year and next there will be so many nice Porsche cars, flooding the market, that you will be able to get a nice GT3 for MRSP or less in less than a year. So don't stress it out.

And for Porsche, they don't even need to sell a lot of cars, they could sell less and be a standalone, very profitable company, as they have the biggest profit margins of any manufacturer today. So no point on diluting the brand even more.
I've read a few of your posts in the last month. They are spot on. You must be the oracle.

One point I don't agree with is the 'put a deposit early'. Date you placed a deposit doesn't mean much of anything for the most part, my experience and what many are experiencing.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:00 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 293 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
One point I don't agree with is the 'put a deposit early'. Date you placed a deposit doesn't mean much of anything for the most part, my experience and what many are experiencing.
I've got mixed feelings on this one. While I agree that getting in early is no guarantee and the "lists" are absolutely not handled in any sort of order based on when you got in... if you're not a big money buyer guaranteed to get an allocation regardless, then getting in early is still important.

I mean... you can be first on the list and still not get an allocation... but if you're not one of the privileged few AND you're late to the game then you're DEFINITELY not getting one unless you're ponying up serious ADM in one way or another.

I got in early and got one of the very last (maybe THE last) allocations from my dealer. If I hadn't been in early and so persistent with my begging and pleading, I doubt I'd have landed one. Once the obvious choices were dealt with though... I'm sure my persistence and early ask played a factor in the "which of all these people will make the cut" decisions at the end.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:21 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I've got mixed feelings on this one. While I agree that getting in early is no guarantee and the "lists" are absolutely not handled in any sort of order based on when you got in... if you're not a big money buyer guaranteed to get an allocation regardless, then getting in early is still important.

I mean... you can be first on the list and still not get an allocation... but if you're not one of the privileged few AND you're late to the game then you're DEFINITELY not getting one unless you're ponying up serious ADM in one way or another.

I got in early and got one of the very last (maybe THE last) allocations from my dealer. If I hadn't been in early and so persistent with my begging and pleading, I doubt I'd have landed one. Once the obvious choices were dealt with though... I'm sure my persistence and early ask played a factor in the "which of all these people will make the cut" decisions at the end.
My comment was on interpreting RennOracle's statement as early deposit = allocation. It does not, which you recognize. Sure what it might help is when all else is equal and you were in there early, you might be top of mind for the dealer. It also depends on your dealer. My experience is with the largest dealer where they have many big fish. I was told differently when I placed the deposit as well. Now it's all bets are off and my deposit of 2 years doesn't seem to mean much. I was naive being my first go around and eligibility requirements for getting an allocation seem to be cranked up a notch in this cycle compared to last. I'm being told no more allocations. I still have my hopes up.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 293 Likes on 168 Posts

My comment was on interpreting RennOracle's statement as early deposit = allocation. It does not, which you recognize. Sure what it might help is when all else is equal and you were in there early, you might be top of mind for the dealer. It also depends on your dealer. My experience is with the largest dealer where they have many big fish. I was told differently when I placed the deposit as well. Now it's all bets are off and my deposit of 2 years doesn't seem to mean much. I was naive being my first go around and eligibility requirements for getting an allocation seem to be cranked up a notch in this cycle compared to last. I'm being told no more allocations. I still have my hopes up.
Yeah,. Agree with that 100%.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:02 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I've read a few of your posts in the last month. They are spot on. You must be the oracle.

Well, first of all, thank you.
Next, I mentioned because that's pretty much all one can do, freely and without much work. Besides, that, buying a fleet of diesel macans and panameras for your executives and/or trying to buy the seller/manager/owner of your dealer with expensive gifts.
Another way is to go shop at this time of the year and help the dealer out of a pickle of sales quotas and they repay you with an allocation for a car you want.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me understand Porsche's Business Model...