Sponsored by:

Porsche rental in Italy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 09:26 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
We did the Amalfi coast in June and I looked into a Porsche. In the end we passed and I don’t regret it. Roads were narrow and extremely crowded- the only time I was able to enjoy them was 5 am, and even then only for short bursts. The over the hills from Pompeii was better, but honestly IMHO you’ll have more fun (from a driving perspective) in something like a Fiat Abarth- much more in scale with the roads. Or something vintage (and slow).

Other areas in Italy are ideal for a modern Porsche- up along the boarder near Como, the Apennine mountains, west of Florence near the coast, etc. Unfortunately along the Almafi coast I’d recommend setting low expectations.
At Christmas time, likely not anywhere near as busy as in June. Having said that, agree that streets around Amalfi and not really ideal for spirited driving. Parking is also a problem in the area. If you are driving a nice car here probably more trouble than its worth.

For those suggesting rental in Switzerland and elsewhere, there is something to be said for having local number plates when driving around in a nice car. I would try to rent in Italy if I could.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:29 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
We did the Amalfi coast in June and I looked into a Porsche. In the end we passed and I don’t regret it. Roads were narrow and extremely crowded- the only time I was able to enjoy them was 5 am, and even then only for short bursts. The over the hills from Pompeii was better, but honestly IMHO you’ll have more fun (from a driving perspective) in something like a Fiat Abarth- much more in scale with the roads. Or something vintage (and slow).

Other areas in Italy are ideal for a modern Porsche- up along the boarder near Como, the Apennine mountains, west of Florence near the coast, etc. Unfortunately along the Almafi coast I’d recommend setting low expectations.
I’m from Milan and spend summers in como and Sardegna. I’ll be the first to say that my country, like most parts in Europe, is going through some troubled times. Our problems include organized crime in the south and mass refugee crisis using Italy’s shores as entry point to Europe. While one can say driving a sports car in certain parts of Italy is inadvisable, we all do it, it’s not Brazil... and there are incredible areas to explore perfectly fit for a sports car (not even mentioning all the amazing track days).

Anywhere in mountains in North and basically down to Rome is heaven. Island of Sardegna is heaven of all driving Road heavens... THATS where you go for your european delivery trip by the way.

driving into rome is inadvisable because of traffic, and yes.. Naples is 100% no-go country. But I’ve driven all over south of Italy into Sicily, Puglia and Calabria, and With the right parking structures, you can go almost anywhere.

From a driving perspective, petevb is correct... a small tossable fast hatch is better. When mine arrives I go from Germany to Geneva auto show, then it will stay in Italy until June and I plan to drive all over my country.

Just use precautions like you would anywhere in the world outside of small ultrarich enclaves, by not leaving sports cars out in an urban street and you’ll be ok. I can’t think of a single urban neighborhood except maybe Dubai or Monaco or Knightsbridge where it’s advisable to leave a sports car out at night.

Don’t miss driving Italy, you’ll get fat and happy by visiting... in equal portions
Old 07-01-2018, 07:18 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Bari, Italy has a couple of GT3RS on the floor

Old 07-01-2018, 11:27 PM
TuonoR
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Google luxe of italy. Great service...will deliver a car to your hotel and pick it up at your destination. Have used them a few times but in the north.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:43 AM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter

Correct.. The new cars of good friends of mine.. :-) ..
If you need some advices about Puglia.. Give me a shout :-)
Old 07-02-2018, 05:04 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I was in the area last week I would have loved to see the Lizard!!!
Old 07-02-2018, 09:10 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Thanks, just finished a week in Maranello for our Ferrari Dino 50th anniversary meet (174 Dinos !) and have some free time afterwards.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=bRTkneCRJ84

This is a first chance to see the area. Love it!

Had an amaxing 5 star lunch with refreshing local wine rampone &, verdak at Grotta Palazzese, food coma avoided with a swim at Polignano a Mare

Last edited by Perimeter; 07-02-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:22 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That restaurant looks sick!
Old 07-03-2018, 04:27 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah!
True bucket list, the whole coast is dotted with wonderful grottos, paradiso maximo

Branzino spettacolo

Calamarati and fabulous olive oil tasting .... DeCarlo oil was my favorite, such a heavy aroma
Old 07-03-2018, 04:55 PM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah!
True bucket list, the whole coast is dotted with wonderful grottos, paradiso maximo

Branzino spettacolo

Calamarati and fabulous olive oil tasting .... DeCarlo oil was my favorite, such a heavy aroma
Few kms from my home. Wonderful location... :-)
Old 07-03-2018, 04:58 PM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah!

Branzino spettacolo

Few kms from my home. Wonderful location... :-) Puglia is beautiful... Great sea, food and wine.... But very bad roads... :-((((
Old 07-03-2018, 07:06 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Was Stephen Lee there with his v8 dino conversion?
Old 07-03-2018, 09:34 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

^ It was at the Rodeo Drive Concours two weeks ago.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:34 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Was Stephen Lee there with his v8 dino conversion?
He was not there but Kevin from MotoTechnique was there with his prior version

Quick Reply: Porsche rental in Italy?