Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedster - Calling All Cleaning Ladies

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 09:27 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

I’ve been on the waiting list since 1997 for this car. Dealer just called me and said I was bumped at the last minute. Oh well. Back to the end of the line.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:39 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I’ve been on the waiting list since 1997 for this car. Dealer just called me and said I was bumped at the last minute. Oh well. Back to the end of the line.
20+ years waiting list and bumped. I call BS.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:09 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

1997???

have you spent some time with them sunce then?
Old 06-08-2018, 10:10 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
20+ years waiting list and bumped. I call BS.
I'd be flinging lawyers at them like grenades in an Arnie movie.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:26 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Lol. Of course I was kiddin. Just poking fun and the fake dealer list.

These cars are unobtanium.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:38 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Just waive some ADM money and you can get one. I honestly think these will not be too hard to get. I will be at the dealer tomorrow for the party if you are going (BTW the dealer did not exist in 1997 lol) with my 993 C4 cab (white over blue) so say hi if you see me. I will do the same if I see you (I loved your euro delivery videos).

Last edited by evilfij; 06-08-2018 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:42 PM
2006Z06
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Unique...yes. Compelling...not for me, and based on opinions above it’s about 50-50 by my rough count. Desirable....only if they make a few and infuriate many of their customers by doing so. Conclusion...they’ll poll this thread, builds a few, make some money and retool for 992!
Old 06-08-2018, 11:08 PM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

I like the little touches, wheels, hood latches etc.. It was why i like the 50th. So a retro throw back on a GT3 chassis and drivetrain.

Want one:
Available:

Guessing we may see more details or production confirmation at Goodwood ??
Old 06-08-2018, 11:12 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Some people are going to love this, and hope for a production car as close as possible to it.

I'm open to the idea of a CGT-ish driving experience in an open 991—and those wheels definitely conjure the CGT. So color me interested, as this Speedster concept is mechanically compelling where the 997 Speedster was some bodywork on a Carrera GTS for twice the price. This car has nicer proportions than the last Speedster, too....wonder how much the 21s help there, and whether PAG will actually equip a customer car with 21-inch fronts. However, as much as I like the exterior and interior color, here's to hoping the retro touches—the door mirrors, gold badging, metallic center filler, headlight treatments, etc—are part of an optional appearance package. This car just made me realize that my personal preference for "period correct" doesn't apply only to old cars.

Would be interesting to see it in 1955 Speedster colors...particularly a more vintage silver and Rubinrot.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:04 AM
uberm3
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I might be alone in this but that thing is ugly. Some nice details but an odd combination of old and new (e.g. retro mirrors, modern hood latches). The gt3 front looks completely out of place on it.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:05 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well - I’m giving up my allocation - haha.

In all seriousness - i think the Boxster Spyder looks nicer (and Mooty’s boxster isn’t that bad either). May just be the paint scheme, albeit historic.

If this is truly lightweight + that engine = oh my! Still not digging the overall package though.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:51 AM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Speedster

Where the 911R had no dealer allocation in North America I believe the Speedster will. There are less 918 VIP's than in 2016. I know of at least 2 918 VIPs that don't want one. Almost nobody turned down the 911R. There are twice as many cars. There are two other 500HP MT GT cars available. It's also not for everyone. And if it truly has no top even I may have second thoughts.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:55 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

As an homage to 70 years of Porsche sports cars, the goal appears to incorporate as many iconic styling cues as possible; however, it does make the MT only decision somewhat difficult to reconcile since PDK harks back to the 80s 962 era and has become an integral element of modern Porsche performance. Use of 356 era colors also seems unnecessary. Any of the 70s dark greens (Irish, Emerald) would work, and the early 90s Rubystar would be interesting.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:59 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

So I have noticed a few things (if anyone has a link to the full high res pictures let me know please and I will repeat my OCD with them):

The front badge is a sticker, but noteworthy, it is an orange bar badge. We saw the orange bar badge on the 1 million 911. The orange bar badge is also on the steering wheel. Hard to tell, but I suspect the wheel caps as well.

Same with the gold badges, first seen on the 1 million 911 (at least first seen recently, they were available on Long hood 911 and maybe even later).

The gear shifter is black, but also has a round insert (like all the fancy ones with the insert—carbon, wood, aluminium) and the insert is in black. It is hard to tell, but I suspect it is black anodized aluminium like the trim on a GT3 touring.

I love the interior. Interestingly, it says it is analine cognac. Analine is another word for “natural” leather (which the factory cognac leather is), the only thing is the pictures look darker than the existing cognac. Also of note, the interior does not follow the two tone pattern seen on the normal 911. It has the armrest, door pulls, door handle straps, lower dash panels and seats (all of which are available CXX so you could have this interior in a GT3 for example). The leather dash vents are a nice touch. Not available except for CXX on current GT cars (they were probably saving the option for this model when it comes out). Also of note, no deviated stitching and radio and AC delete (again, hard to tell but seems AC delete). I wonder if they offer this interior on the production car they will use black analine leather aka natural leather to go with the cognac? I suspect so.

I find the graphics and color scheme odd, but it would not surprise me to see in the production car a speedster special color similar to a 356 color and maybe offer the graphic pattern. The paint scheme obviously cribbed from the 356 from the video they release (with the driver smoking a cigarette), but I don’t think it has any other significance (I could be wrong). Maybe a Meissen or Etna blue (or a blue or a green — Auratium cough, Auratium).

I cant quite make out the buttons, but it seems no FAL. I did not see a power top button. ;-)

Looks like carbon fiber inside the xenon front headlights. That’s cool. Add lightness to the lightest lights.

There are little pins on either side of the sport chrono panel. These look like the clips for a tonneau cover, otherwise I have no idea what they would be for.

The wheels (in their normal 20in form) are cast, not forged. I hope that does not carry over and it gets proper forged wheels.

Black calipers with PCCB. So much want. I find red and yellow calipers gaudy.

Press release says “over 500hp” so GT3RS engine (nod to Chris). Maybe a bit less than the RS hp because of the intakes.

Still looking for more easter eggs, but this is what I have so far.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:59 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Will have to wait and see the final production as the car is a little conceptual looking at this point.

It will be interesting to see it in person.

Modern speedsters have always been love em' or hate em' cars.

Quick Reply: Speedster - Calling All Cleaning Ladies