Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedster - Calling All Cleaning Ladies

Old 11-07-2018, 02:10 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
porsche has their act together in regards to allocations or production BETTER than any other brand. i deal with other brands. i see it. other than Ferrari I have a handle on the politics of production for all the other brands
Very interesting perspective, and one that's nice to see from someone who would have a better sense for that than most—both in coming to this with a "fresh" perspective and in having multiple stores/marques.

Thanks, man.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:19 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

I still feel like I'm getting 7/8th's trolled here but I'll bite.

I'd rather grow my store exclusively through my local clients and personal relationships. I'd have an easy time filling GT car orders just by checking my inbox on here- so would any dealer. The GT cars are going to sell. That's not an issue- it's finding the right people who have either been early adopters (their stock is worth the most) or structured support. They're investing in my store and my brands.

Guys just wanting to show up and skip the line or the process are always bouncing around store to store in and out of state which for a store like mine can wreak havoc on local customer goodwill. Every guy on here who is getting an RS from their store has had to go through some hoops for that allocation, me included-

I didn't even get my 3RS from my own store because I was too far down the list and only got to pick a slot after 15 guys had already put their names down. So I paid up for a sport turismo turbo (which I really enjoy with rear axle steering) at another store and got an RS that way...I had done lots of business with the GM before so it was ok.

I ended up 3rd on the GT2RS list and 2nd for GT4RS. We'll see how that one shakes out.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:28 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Hope all is well CJ. Isn't the new GT4 have to come out first, then the following year the GT4RS?

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

I'd rather grow my store exclusively through my local clients and personal relationships. I'd have an easy time filling GT car orders just by checking my inbox on here- so would any dealer. The GT cars are going to sell. That's not an issue- it's finding the right people who have either been early adopters (their stock is worth the most) or structured support. They're investing in my store and my brands.

Guys just wanting to show up and skip the line or the process are always bouncing around store to store in and out of state which for a store like mine can wreak havoc on local customer goodwill. Every guy on here who is getting an RS from their store has had to go through some hoops for that allocation, me included-

I didn't even get my 3RS from my own store because I was too far down the list and only got to pick a slot after 15 guys had already put their names down. So I paid up for a sport turismo turbo (which I really enjoy with rear axle steering) at another store and got an RS that way...I had done lots of business with the GM before so it was ok.

I ended up 3rd on the GT2RS list and 2nd for GT4RS. We'll see how that one shakes out.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:12 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

What I don’t understand is that couldn’t you just order some cool 911s for yourself(targa gts, gts etc) and a Panamera ST from your own store? You are a driver, so you would enjoy them and then list them for sale to help your allocation numbers? I think you may be in the minority of owners who actually enjoy using the cars as intended.

I am totally naive because I have been buying all my Porsches/Audis/Benz from the same family dealerships for 15 years. The owner is not a car guy at all, but a RE developer. He has over 20 dealerships, but could probably care less about GT cars etc. The only time I have switched is Mclaren, got 4 from 1 dealer, but have ordered my next from a new dealership/owner who seem to be good to work with and I really like their Mechanics.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

list and 2nd for GT4RS. t.
don't forget one is mine!
Old 11-07-2018, 10:50 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

FastMd- I got myself a manual trans GTS and am getting a GT2RS from the store. I have taken sedans and SUV's to ' Build my portfolio.' If I "had to have" one of everything (I passed on GT3/Touring) then I'd be taking allocations from customers. I was not planning on getting a GT3RS but the offer was floated so I did it as a short cut.

So far from my store I've bought/ leased:
Cayenne S E Hybrid - great employee lease program and tax credit - super cheap, dad drives when he is in town.
911 GTS- "my fun car" - by employee leasing it, my store earned another 911 allocation.
A8- daily, carried for 18 months- for sale
Q7- wife mobile, will trade in for eTron Quattro
M5 - keeper- literally last built manual trans M5 on earth, did Euro delivery.
Sq5 - carried for year than sold as CPO.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:56 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

FastMd- I got myself a manual trans GTS and am getting a GT2RS from the store. If I "had to have" one of everything (I passed on GT3/Touring) then I'd be taking allocations from customers. I was not planning on getting a GT3RS but the offer was floated so I did it.

CJ, I commend you for this. There are too many dealerships that have their dealer principals /employees buying cars before their customers.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:03 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JAM2
CJ, I commend you for this. There are too many dealerships that have their dealer principals /employees buying cars before their customers.
My priority is more for cars like 918/ P1 - I will be in a tough spot if I love the GT2RS because then I will definitely have to sell a few cars to justify keeping the 3RS or buying speedster.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:46 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd

What I don’t understand is that couldn’t you just order some cool 911s for yourself(targa gts, gts etc) and a Panamera ST from your own store? You are a driver, so you would enjoy them and then list them for sale to help your allocation numbers? I think you may be in the minority of owners who actually enjoy using the cars as intended.

I am totally naive because I have been buying all my Porsches/Audis/Benz from the same family dealerships for 15 years. The owner is not a car guy at all, but a RE developer. He has over 20 dealerships, but could probably care less about GT cars etc. The only time I have switched is Mclaren, got 4 from 1 dealer, but have ordered my next from a new dealership/owner who seem to be good to work with and I really like their Mechanics.
FastMd- I got myself a manual trans GTS and am getting a GT2RS from the store. I have taken sedans and SUV's to ' Build my portfolio.' If I "had to have" one of everything (I passed on GT3/Touring) then I'd be taking allocations from customers. I was not planning on getting a GT3RS but the offer was floated so I did it as a short cut.

So far from my store I've bought/ leased:
Cayenne S E Hybrid - great employee lease program and tax credit - super cheap, dad drives when he is in town.
911 GTS- "my fun car" - by employee leasing it, my store earned another 911 allocation.
A8- daily, carried for 18 months- for sale
Q7- wife mobile, will trade in for eTron Quattro
M5 - keeper- literally last built manual trans M5 on earth, did Euro delivery.
Sq5 - carried for year than sold as CPO.
Got it. Must be tough to have the car disease and own the stores. Your level of self discipline must be much higher than us other car fanatics, lol.

Would have been nice if you bought Mclaren of North Jersey(previously Bergen County), new owners are good they seem to encourage motorsports. The NY/NJ could have used an enthusiast owned Mclaren dealer like yourself.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:09 PM
cacpa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CJ - Major props to you for confirming that there is no such thing as a free lunch.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:51 PM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Good grief.

It's a good thing you're married CJ, or you'd have an entire internet forum trying to date you.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 89 Posts

I think it's really CJ's straight talk and openly trying to be fair to develop a mutually beneficial relationship that people appreciate. The buy this now and we'll see if you might get a GT car at some point, or hiding allocations only to mark them up when they finally show up at the store is a real turnoff. Do you really want to date someone who is always waiting for a better offer to come along?
Old 11-07-2018, 01:38 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I commend the openness but not the strategy. For me at least ADM is much fairer, and I don't exactly like that.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:38 PM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

CJ,

No one is trolling you. I'm genuinely curious how you pull this off. Previously, I thought forcing clients to buy cars they don't want in order to get a GT allocation would surely pis** off your client base. It's clear the Rennlist community supports and prefers this, so I'm just trying to figure out the nuances of it. If you can be successful with it, there is no reason why other dealers can't be successful with it, as well. And of course, every dealer would love to dump the cars they can't easily sell, so this could be a win/win for everyone.

How do you handle the other people who have already given you a deposit for the Speedster, and have been told they are number 1 or number 2 on your list? Do they get upset when someone else bumps in front of them because they took you up on your offer to buy your old-age inventory?

Also, you said "it depends on who the person is" with regard to whether or not the GT allocation is guaranteed. Do people get upset when they buy cars they don't want to get the GT allocation, and then they're told they can't have the GT allocation because of "who they are?" How on god's green eerf do you handle this? Doesn't that person who just bought those cars get incredibly angry?

Friendly regards,
CW
Old 11-07-2018, 01:42 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Something akin to spinning plates I reckon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speedster - Calling All Cleaning Ladies