Speedster - Calling All Cleaning Ladies

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 04:53 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale

My mistake. I could have sworn you were very vocal about ADM’s and stealerships. Never mind, then.
No big deal, I just think it is funny because I got a lot of flak for offering ADM to get the car I wanted. I also do my best to share info about cars available at whatever ADM as I believe transparency in the market helps buyers more than sellers.

I think I said it initially and it remains true, I rather pay ADM than do what it takes to be a “good customer” and get an allocation at MSRP.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:03 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

On the face of it all this points business sounds like profiteering. But if I think about it more then I realise it definitely is. Lol. Anyhow, it's very hard to think of another way. If you went with what is ostensibly the fairest way, I.e. first come first served then you simply get people saying right I'll put myself on the list for the next 14 generations of GT3. Actually I have just worked out the only fair way: ballot. This is what they do for Wimbledon tickets, which are similarly massively oversubscribed.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:15 PM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Obviously you know what’s best for your store. Being honest, your post caught me by surprise.

Great job in 2018, and I wish you much success in 2019.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
CW
Let’s just get back on topic and leave the personal digs aside.

CJ, thanks for your info and transparency.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:52 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,385 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
On the face of it all this points business sounds like profiteering. But if I think about it more then I realise it definitely is. Lol. Anyhow, it's very hard to think of another way. If you went with what is ostensibly the fairest way, I.e. first come first served then you simply get people saying right I'll put myself on the list for the next 14 generations of GT3. Actually I have just worked out the only fair way: ballot. This is what they do for Wimbledon tickets, which are similarly massively oversubscribed.
Profiteering? That would be just holding non charity auctions. I'm trying to grow the size of the dealership so it's worth more money and returning better on the investment. The size of the store is related to the amount of cars it sells. People buy regular cars (macan/cayenne/718) and those who refer friends and stuff all get credit in my book. Whoever is best for the Business long term gets the best cars offered to them.

It's not a Star Wars movie- can't just let people show up early and wait to try and steal the best seats just to resell them (sneaker market, watch market also)
Old 11-05-2018, 10:47 PM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

C.J.,

If someone buys your 911 S cabriolet and your Panamera ST, are they *guaranteed* a Speedster allocation?

Thank you!
CW
Old 11-05-2018, 10:54 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

C.J.,

If someone buys your 911 S cabriolet and your Panamera ST, are they *guaranteed* a Speedster allocation?

Thank you!
CW
Depends on who it is. I know we will get a few based on our SoN.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:07 PM
James Walker
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Depends on who it is. I know we will get a few based on our SoN.
I get this completely, why buy a car anywhere else?
Old 11-06-2018, 12:16 AM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Depends on who it is.
Have your clients responded well to this? Obviously James (above) supports it, too. With such uncertainty, I would never have thought a buyer would agree to that. Maybe other dealers should do the same rather than charge market prices? It would be hugely beneficial to the dealers who are stuck with aged, undesirable inventory. And if clients prefer this, then everyone wins. Buy XX and YY and maybe I’ll give you a GT allocation if other things fall into place. If nothing else, It demonstrates loyalty from the buyer to your store.

At first glance, it seems very risky to the buyer and would lead to some heated, difficult conversations. But I fully admit I don’t have the experience you have with this particular process.

Thanks! I appreciate the level-headed conversation.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:44 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

It’s pretty common in my experience. In fact, that is the deal my dealer offered me (buy car(s), get PTS GT3 at MSRP — we just agreed to a reasonable ADM instead as I did not want the other cars “what will you give me on trade 5minutes from now” was my pitch.). As long as it is in writing, seems sensible for buyer, especially if you want the other car(s). Even if you don’t, maybe you can find someone who does at a discount which you fund (at worst wholesaler). Lots of ways to get to the same spot which is a deal buyer and dealer are happy with.

It is the ferrari model (at least it used to be). Buy a used Ferrari over sticker or a four seat Ferrari and a Maserati for your wife and you can have a 430. Do that a number of times and you get a special Ferrari.

Another model is trade in your desirable car, but do so at much less than trade in value.

I am sure there are some that still have a list and that list is first come first served, but even most of those have caveats (prior deals, locals only, trade required, buy Xpel and warranties etc.). The ones that don’t I think are not running their business very well.

I rather do deals one off, but for the dealer the other methods means more sales, not just more money. Of course, those dealers could get more sales by using my ADM money to increase discounts.

Back on topic, I want a speedster, amd I want it in green (I can probably live with black), and I like my dealer a lot, but that preference is limited somewhat by price, so CW or CJ or anyone else, offer me a deal. As long as you are upfront about how it works (I have no doubt about CJ or CW), I am game.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:02 AM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Originally Posted by evilfij
It’s pretty common in my experience. In fact, that is the deal my dealer offered me (buy car(s), get PTS GT3 at MSRP — we just agreed to a reasonable ADM instead as I did not want the other cars “what will you give me on trade 5minutes from now” was my pitch.). As long as it is in writing, seems sensible for buyer, especially if you want the other car(s). Even if you don’t, maybe you can find someone who does at a discount which you fund (at worst wholesaler). Lots of ways to get to the same spot which is a deal buyer and dealer are happy with.

It is the ferrari model (at least it used to be). Buy a used Ferrari over sticker or a four seat Ferrari and a Maserati for your wife and you can have a 430. Do that a number of times and you get a special Ferrari.

Another model is trade in your desirable car, but do so at much less than trade in value.

I am sure there are some that still have a list and that list is first come first served, but even most of those have caveats (prior deals, locals only, trade required, buy Xpel and warranties etc.). The ones that don’t I think are not running their business very well.

I rather do deals one off, but for the dealer the other methods means more sales, not just more money. Of course, those dealers could get more sales by using my ADM money to increase discounts.

Back on topic, I want a speedster, amd I want it in green (I can probably live with black), and I like my dealer a lot, but that preference is limited somewhat by price, so CW or CJ or anyone else, offer me a deal. As long as you are upfront about how it works (I have no doubt about CJ or CW), I am game.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. So you’d rather just pay the ADM instead of being forced to buy two cars you don’t want if that was the choice presented to you. I initially thought that, as well. But I know C.J. has a very loyal following on RL, so I’m thinking maybe others prefer his process.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:32 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Thanks for taking the time to respond. So you’d rather just pay the ADM instead of being forced to buy two cars you don’t want if that was the choice presented to you. I initially thought that, as well. But I know C.J. has a very loyal following on RL, so I’m thinking maybe others prefer his process.
Back on topic, do you have a speedster for me CW? . I promise I will drive it home non-stop from Chicago.

Correct I preferred just paying ADM, but only because I did not want/need the other cars that my dealer wanted to move at that time. Had they had a MT base 911 (or MT C2S cab or something with three pedals) they were looking to move, I would have taken it and driven it until my car arrived. I think that is what dealers are after (I don’t want to speak for CJ), but I interpret it as someone happy to drive a C2S cab until the speedster arrives and give the panny to a spouse or use as a daily or something. All that makes good sense, it was when I was offered the deal just I did not want a panny — I love my Jag too much. In fact, without even having a firm deal, I ordered a C2 (because I would have been happy with a C2 until I could upgrade to a GT3 and I needed my color to go to feasibility — that did not work out). But really it makes no difference straight ADM or some other permutation, I would buy six Kias it that is what my dealer wanted, I just do the math as to what it costs me to buy and sell and translate that to ADM. As I said, money is fungible. The advatange of the buy other cars get GT car at MSRP is that, for a lot of people, they want the other cars too, and for the dealer it means more sales and more local cars to service and have come back on trade. You can see how this works, especially for those who cycle through cars quite a bit as a number of RL members do.

Anyway, when does the speedster configurator go online? I need to submit my build so at least I get some swag.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:21 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

i think the speedster will have the availability or desirability of a 911R to some (which is to say that some people don't care if it's not a track car )

i think stateside it will be slightly less available than a GT2RS

stick only so that will remove a lot of ferrari/ lambo buyers.

to me i'm into it- but only because it's the new 'fun car' like the R was
Old 11-06-2018, 02:47 AM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’d love to hear you and doc dog chat about the speedster in detail on throttle dogs.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:48 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It is really good having the level-headed and transparent discussion on this. But if I step back a bit, how have things come to this?! I need to get a spreadsheet going but it feels like Porsche and dealers would make more profit if Porsche simply made more of the cars people want to buy. No ADMs, no dealer games, no 5-year waiting lists, everyone gets a GT3 at list, world a happier place! Ho hum, pipe dream!
Old 11-06-2018, 07:37 AM
ruuddevil
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fact that not everyone can buy one is what makes people want them even more. Porsche knows that, they know how brand value is created and why they make huge profits.

Quick Reply: Speedster - Calling All Cleaning Ladies