Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedster - Calling All Cleaning Ladies

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 12:16 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

^^ that's a great idea. i thought Rennlisters had no creativity?? see, they're wrong.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:25 AM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Can't Porsche integrate the reverse camera display into the rear view mirror like some GM cars do?
Old 06-11-2018, 12:59 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Why is radio delete important on a speedster? Excess weight? Is this a purist thing?
Old 06-11-2018, 01:01 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Can't Porsche integrate the reverse camera display into the rear view mirror like some GM cars do?
^ This is the BEST setup. Had it in a rental car and my jaw dropped. Now you see it, now you don't. Seamless, and where you expect to look to see behind you. Brilliant.

Have thought about why doesn't Porsche they put the rearview video feed next to the tach to maintain the option of radio delete...except they get near zero orders for radio delete. But GM's solution is by far the best. And how often do you type that?
Old 06-11-2018, 02:13 AM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Why is radio delete important on a speedster? Excess weight? Is this a purist thing?
Radio delete is not important on a car like a Speedster, and yes - it's a purist thing. It's another way to tell everyone how hardcore you are. These are dangerously hardcore people. These are the same people who swallow their pills/vitamins raw, without a swig of water. Very dangerous individuals and you should not attempt to socialize with them.

As the gentleman above mentioned, the take-rate on radio delete or AC delete is near zero, and the few goofball cars that got produced without them are nearly sale-proof. Most dealers will send them to the auction with the hopes that some used car manager bidding on the car from behind a computer screen won't notice and pay way too much for it.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:16 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM2

and then thereare guys like me and my friends who put on 1500 miles immediately doing European delivery. When I sold my 997 Speedster, it had over 5k miles on the dial. Drive it, enjoy it, and if you break even, call it a bonus. If you don’t, that’s a car for you, it depreciates; some less than others.
More folks like you should be buying cars like this and properly enjoy them.

I'm telling you, if they slap a wing on it (an RS version) I'll buy it and take it to the track.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:20 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Excellent idea!
Old 06-11-2018, 02:42 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM2
and then thereare guys like me and my friends who put on 1500 miles immediately doing European delivery. When I sold my 997 Speedster, it had over 5k miles on the dial. Drive it, enjoy it, and if you break even, call it a bonus. If you don’t, that’s a car for you, it depreciates; some less than others.
My european delivery saw two separate trips everything from snow to keeping with Italian v12's.. ended up at 5k KM on the dash before she finally said "dad, I'm ready to go home now"
Attached Images        
Old 06-11-2018, 06:01 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I pulled the radio in my Spyder because I would never listen to it. in the future the radio would be useless and it would date the car. Right now if I need satnav my phone is as good as any in-car system.

I like the look of no radio and the purity but those are personal. I can't feel the weight saving obviously.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:56 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
I pulled the radio in my Spyder because I would never listen to it. in the future the radio would be useless and it would date the car. Right now if I need satnav my phone is as good as any in-car system.

I like the look of no radio and the purity but those are personal. I can't feel the weight saving obviously.
exactly. Antiquated tech before it leaves the showroom.

then there are dealers that feel they need to tick every option to sell a car or line their pockets; essence of Porsche is completely lost on them.

Petersen last week (for those that forget or more likely never knew the origin of the Speedster)...

Old 06-11-2018, 09:09 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
My european delivery saw two separate trips everything from snow to keeping with Italian v12's.. ended up at 5k KM on the dash before she finally said "dad, I'm ready to go home now"

What an an epic experience!!! Personally, those miles driven on the continent of motherland should be counted as bonus points. 2 years ago to the date, we were flying out to pickup the 981 Spyder at Zuffenhausen. Looking forward to another ED. It’s addictive.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:57 AM
Whoopsy
Drifting

Received 1,161 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Pretty sure it will be well over 200k, as CAlexio surmises the price could eliminate the prospect pool a bit (turbo s exclusive style)

I also think that it will be incredibly fun to drive on the track (as all open top cars are) but very curious what tire profiles/ characteristics the car shows up with.

CW- my comment was more inside joke (for the 20 people who know now) than reality (I'm definitely not going to break a story here before a Flacht embargo) and I think a lot of people took it that way. I however will (once embargo is lifted) post a nice write up of my own Story and Futuristic Driving Experience behind the small windscreen.

In order to avoid confusion I capitalized it for hiding and emphasizing contextual clues. Of course if you follow a few key people on instagram you might be able to put it together. I know you get so excited.
I really really want the write up on that hybrid you drove the other day!!!!

Old 06-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Petersen last week (for those that forget or more likely never knew the origin of the Speedster)...
stunning car. stood there and stared at if for better part of 20 minutes. oh, that and the Ferraris upstairs. But, sometimes history is best left in history. A little taste of retro is fine here and there, but this thing... give it ALL the retros. all at once. maybe the design is fantastic, just can't see through the mess of bolt ons.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:46 PM
Whoopsy
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
Hilarious quote.

I think it was Whoopsy who told us the 8th, but if it ends up being tomorrow, I think we can forgive him on that claim.

I’m more concerned about the “inside information” being posted about the over-all car. It seems we have three people who are claiming to know what the Speedster will look like, and they seem to have different "inside information." Here’s my summary of their claims… please correct me if I’ve stated something incorrect:

1. The Honorable Whoopsy: It is just a GT3 Touring convertible that has lost its soul and purpose. Same windshield. GT3 engine.

2. The Honorable CJ: It is less like a GT3/RS convertible, and more like a 911R convertible because the focus was weight savings.

3. Chris3963: GT3RS engine/power. The Speedster is actually something very special this time around, and is not just another exercise in depleting the parts bin; it has its own unique identity, even if it does share the 911 GT platform.

It should be noted that Chris3963 has been consistent with all his claims since December.

I'll join the other gentleman above, and put my money on Chris. If I were to bet, I'd say that no one will think of the 911R nor the GT3 Touring when they see it.

Not bad but you are lacking in breading comprehension.

Over 2 years ago I believe I said something special, a Speedster, will come. They did the prototype by taking a C4S cab body and built a mock up, with a chopped windshield and no roof, the 911R engine and 6 speed.

Fast forward a couple years. The 911R is no more, in it's place is the GT3 Touring. What's the main difference? Engine is of the new type. Not the old one with the single mass. So what's the Speedster now? Basically a GT3 Touring convertible. Well there is the small difference of between the GT3's 500hp engine vs the GT3RS's 525hp engine. O't think anyone would complain about having either engines.

Deleting the radio and A/C doesn't make it super light weight btw. And those can also be added back later as a cost option.

LWBs, big deal, all GT cars uses hem now so it's not even consider a 'lightweight' option, more like a standard option.

Where else can they skim on weight? Face it, a 991, be it .1 or .2, isn't that light weight like the older cars.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Whoopsy
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
Nope. I don't have any "inside" information.

Just 12 hours ago, I was still trying to decide if Whoopsy, CJ or Chris was correct. I think we all can agree Chris nailed it.
You mean you haven't been sitting behind a desk going though the Porsche internal system checking on which car CJ bought and sell? Shocking.

Quick Reply: Speedster - Calling All Cleaning Ladies