Sponsored by:

Speedster - Calling All Cleaning Ladies

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 05:24 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 150 Posts

Looks like a LOT of fun!

IMO, Porsche is going to completely disappoint everybody when the production car has a cabriolet roof...or they are going to make a GT3 (RS?) Cabriolet as well. The 'spy' photos of finished prototypes without disguise in both US and ROW configuration cannot have been solely for internet speculation.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:33 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale

AC Delete, radio delete and manual were available on the Boxster Spyder, too. Doesn’t mean much...

I don’t think anyone looks at this “concept” version of the Speedster and thinks it’s a 911R convertible. All the “spy shots” showing generic “GT3 convertibles” we’re wrong, too. This car is completely unique and stands on its own 4 feet. According to Porsche’s own press release, the Speedster’s body has been borrowed from the 911 Carrera 4, and the horsepower is “over 500.” I still think Chris will be proven right at 525hp.

Anyway you slice it, I think it’s a beautiful car.

Hope you have a nice time at the Investor Conference. Tell everyone hello from me.

I wonder what happens if CJ says the sky is blue

Old 06-08-2018, 05:37 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,385 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino

Oh let's start a new thread
Old 06-08-2018, 05:40 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

This thing looks great, not my cup of tea but a cool interpretation of the old school speedster. I never like cars that have to chop the top to make the convert version, the rigidity is just never the same. I wonder how this one will feel...
Old 06-08-2018, 05:47 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Im in the "looks a little Frankenstein" camp, but those wheels, fuch they look good
Old 06-08-2018, 05:59 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Haven't been following the thread, I've been busy doing weird stuff, (betraying the brand kind of stuff) but I came here to say......

I heard some partial info that there might be a 356 Speedster commemorative edition of some sort?.. is that real.. ? It all started when I was sitting at dinner in Torino two days ago with Porsche Italy CEO and started peppering him with questions to which he kept saying "I don't know".. but then someone in the group mentioned a very special "356 edition" car and his eye cracked and betrayed.. a few others were discussing this car. It's all I got but... now I'm curious. anyone else?
I guess now I understand what everybody was muttering about at the Porsche executive dinner a few nights ago in Turin
Old 06-08-2018, 06:15 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Looks like a LOT of fun!

IMO, Porsche is going to completely disappoint everybody when the production car has a cabriolet roof...or they are going to make a GT3 (RS?) Cabriolet as well. The 'spy' photos of finished prototypes without disguise in both US and ROW configuration cannot have been solely for internet speculation.
Those "cabriolet" spy shots show clear differences from the normal
Cabriolet top. If you didn't have a cab, you might not notice. To me, they are clearly camo trying to conceal a Spyder / Speedster style top. Don't forget the Boxster Spyder tops were based on a cabriolet body with a completely different roof and deck lid.

No way this car has a standard cabrio top in production guise.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:20 PM
horns
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

I think the 1.1 Spyder looks better. The 911 already has a big rear end from the side including the long overhang. The changes on the back of this car accentuate the size.

For those guessing over 520hp, do you really think they will give this car more power than the RS? The car that is supposed to be all about speed to the point that it can't have a MT.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:24 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by horns

For those guessing over 520hp, do you really think they will give this car more power than the RS? The car that is supposed to be all about speed to the point that it can't have a MT.
I’d be surprised if it’s more power than the Gt3. The RS has some massive air inlets on either side too which helps it achieve that power.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:28 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Ugliest 911 I've seen in a long time, perhaps ugliest production car this year.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:30 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Love it, but no chance of getting it. Cool story Porsche.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:37 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 653 Likes on 407 Posts

Dealer just confirmed my order for one at MSRP in any PTS color I want. Really excited.
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
...And then I woke up.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:46 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

TBH the more I look at it, the worse it gets for me. I feel like I'm/we're giving it the benefit of the doubt since it's a super expensive exclusive.

I really like a lot of the elements, fuchs, rear clamshell with wide hips, awesome leather carbon seats.

But many of the parts look tacky, in the traditional sense and in the tacked-on sense. Hood pins, mirrors, big number, garish white bumper scheme, singer gas cap just don't look like they belong or really flow at all. The 90s gold package speedster lettering tops it off.

Maybe this "concept" will get a good polish before production.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:47 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 991.2 Speedster

Originally Posted by sampelligrino

He'd be correct.

I can probably spill now. At the time I was sworn to secrecy. I saw a 911R Speedster over two years ago. It had no top and possibly it never will. I was told it was lighter than the 911R and they only took it out at night to prevent any spying. The car was not as "fancy" as the Concept car; that is I don't recall the center bonnet fuel filler and the gold package. I would have remembered both. The car had a Boxster A-pillar and this car may as well. But it's hard to tell. I don't think there is any chance of a car meeting current NHTSA regulations without one.

The concept Speedster Tonneau didn't make production in 1989 and I haven't seen a photo of the 991.2 with one. When I saw the car we spoke about a top. I felt strongly that the car should have manual top that works as a 964 Speedster or 981 Boxster. I went further to say that one of the great joys of my '94 Speedster is that it has been everywhere in all weather conditions. That includes a scary couple of 360's approaching the Eisenhower tunnel in a snow storm. I also believe this car will have 425hp.

Maybe the topless car is the collector edition like the 911R and there is a more pedestrian GT3 Cab (as spy photos) coming as well. Although unplanned, I think unobtainium 911R and and GT3 Touring marketing strategy worked pretty well for them. .

My soon to be 25 year old '94 getting groceries last week.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:51 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Speedster HP edit

sorry. 520 hp.

Quick Reply: Speedster - Calling All Cleaning Ladies