Service interval question and PCCB question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 08:01 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb Service interval question and PCCB question

I'd appreciate input on these topics:
So I'm in final negotiations on a '15 GT3. Current mileage 9,000. Tracked 2 times. Has PCCB's.

1. I called the dealership to get service records and learned that the car had its "12K service" performed at 4,600 miles.9,000 miles. I aked why a 12K mile service at 4,600 miles and the service person explained it is 12,000 miles or a time period of a year, whichever comes first. He said looking at the records the plugs were done but not the brake fluid. He said the car is overdue and needs another complete service including plugs, brake fluid, engine filter, oil, etc. He also explained if this wasn't done and documented that it could make the car ineligible for the 100,000 mile engine replacement warranty. Thoughts on this....

2. The car is currently having an oil change at a reputable race shop (they prepare a number Porsche Cup cars....that have won) and the owner is being helpful with a PPI. He said the car has PCCB's and from their extensive experience, he recommends changing the pads and rotors to steel if I plan on tracking at all. My plans are for DE weekends a few times a year. He said for their clients, they recommend changing to steel if you do over three events in a year. Thoughts or experience with this is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:09 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Last edited by vodavoda; 11-29-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:58 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

The service interval mileage will vary depending on how hard the car has been driven. I like to change the oil every 5-6 track days and change the plugs more frequently than the factory recommendations, but this sounds a little off. With only a couple of track days declaring this mandatory seems absurd.
With regards to the PCCBs, if you are doing relatively light track duty as described, you should be just fine leaving the PCCBs in place. I did 36 track days on my 2014 GT3 and still had not reached the wear limit, although it was getting close by the time I sold it. I have 16 days on my PCCBs on my 2016 RS and they are going strong.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:58 AM
Mad Manx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although it is often said that pccbs are best for road use and steels for track, I know many people who do a lot of track work with ceramics and no issues - just the normal pad wear, which I think are a similar price to the pads used with the steel discs. Certainly there are pccb equipped cars that have been hammered for thousands of miles at the Porsche Experience Centers with no ill effects.

Quick Reply: Service interval question and PCCB question