Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev Matching on the .2 GT3 Manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 04:38 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

That's too bad. The clutch on the 997 GT3 & GT3RS was perfect.
Is this on a GT3 or a Touring? I wonder if the Touring includes a lighter clutch?
The rev-match sounds goofy for sure.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:02 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
That's too bad. The clutch on the 997 GT3 & GT3RS was perfect.
Is this on a GT3 or a Touring? I wonder if the Touring includes a lighter clutch?
The rev-match sounds goofy for sure.
Regular GT3 (with wing). I think the clutch is same as 911R. I think the 997 clutch was a little stiffer than necessary (but some may find the 991.2 GT3 clutch a bit lighter than necessary).
Old 11-28-2017, 05:13 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

I find the Rev matching to be nice in traffic and slow speeds. Allows for easier/smoother shifting between gears without having to match revs on your own.

But I don't think I'm going to like it during spirited driving or at the track. I haven't been able to push my car yet due to the break in, but I'm concerned it will not be reliable enough to match revs and could cause the rear end to break loose during a downshift.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:21 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
I find the Rev matching to be nice in traffic and slow speeds. Allows for easier/smoother shifting between gears without having to match revs on your own.

But I don't think I'm going to like it during spirited driving or at the track. I haven't been able to push my car yet due to the break in, but I'm concerned it will not be reliable enough to match revs and could cause the rear end to break loose during a downshift.
If it's anything like the GT4, you will never be able to come close to the reliability of the Auto Rev Matching on your own on the track. I'm sure the system will shine there - totally seamless downshifts without upsetting the chassis balance. Not saying it isn't fun to do on your own on the track, but if your concern is consistency of the automatic system, you needn't worry.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:38 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
That's what I meant - thanks for clarification

Like anything- will take some time getting used to. Starting to like the lighter clutch.
That's better than I had in my Targa4S, where I would be decelerating gently towards a stop light/sign, push the clutch but not downshift to 1st and it would blip. Hated it but got used to it.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:38 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
If it's anything like the GT4, you will never be able to come close to the reliability of the Auto Rev Matching on your own on the track. I'm sure the system will shine there - totally seamless downshifts without upsetting the chassis balance. Not saying it isn't fun to do on your own on the track, but if your concern is consistency of the automatic system, you needn't worry.
agreed.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:36 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

The clutch on the GT4 was perfect but will admit that in traffic could be a PIA.

I prefer heavier clutches but what Grant says below is perfect. You can also shift a little quicker on the .2 compared to the GT4. I also like where the clutch engages. A little higehr than the GT4.

The brake also appears to be slightly higher than the top of the clutch which most will not notice but i am very particular.

No doubt this car was more set up for the track than was the GT4. But that should come to no surprise. I am now interested in driving an "R" to see what differences they made to set it up more for the street

Originally Posted by GrantG
On many cars, a light clutch is devoid of feel and feeback (hard to modulate and adjust the bite). On this car, it's light but easy to modulate. Can't imagine choosing PDK only for its ease in traffic (clutch is so light that traffic is not a problem, aside from usual annoyance with traffic itself).
Old 11-29-2017, 07:24 AM
Gesler
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Took delivery of my car at the Atlanta PEC. Drove their stick GT3 for a 90 min session. The clutch was lighter but after the first few minutes it wasn't intrusive on the shifting process. The transmission is very similar to the GT4, although I felt the throws were more shorter/crisper in the GT3. Could have been a placebo effect.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:40 AM
Scott_997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never owned a cayman but have had a 997.2 GT3. The clutch is much lighter however not soft. It has a clear engagement point. It is a spectacular clutch. I have had many manual Porsches even air cooled. This clutch is the best yet. The auto-blip works perfectly for me. The software is spot on in my car and it is quite addictive.
I can't wait to drive Daytona this weekend with it.

Also, the transmission is reminiscent of the 997.2 GT3. That was a damn good gearbox. I have driven a GT4 box and it is not as good.

Quick Reply: Rev Matching on the .2 GT3 Manual