Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2GT3 vs GT4 (both manual)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 12:01 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

It has arrived! Very nice and congratulations. That green turned out beautiful. Love the color.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:11 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I have finally gotten used to rhe Rev matching on the GT3. I do not track so I am thinking they tuned it more for tracking than GT4- but what do I know
Old 08-22-2018, 10:43 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Rev matching is definitely a little wonky in the GT3. It doesn't always reliably rev match for me on the street (though I rarely put it in sport on the street). On track I've never had it miss a rev match and works just fine.
Sounds about right... drive it hard and things work better.

Originally Posted by iammacey
It has arrived! Very nice and congratulations. That green turned out beautiful. Love the color.
hey thanks!

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I have finally gotten used to rhe Rev matching on the GT3. I do not track so I am thinking they tuned it more for tracking than GT4- but what do I know
It works great... just different than the GT4 which rev matches as soon as you put it in the lower gear. The GT3 seems to have some combo timing of the downshift and the clutch release. Can't wait to feel it on the track.

A few other observations at the 850 mile mark.
  • The Bose / nav pre-sense functionality comes up when shifting into 3rd sometimes. Menus start lighting up like I'm about to touch them. Is there a setting for this sensitivity? Minor distraction.
  • In 4th (only) on mine the gearshift has noticeable play up and down when revving or coasting. Prob 2-3mm up and back. No big deal... shouldn't be holding the **** anyway but I can see it move out of the corner of my eye. Again feels like it wants to be driven hard and this would tighten up. I read about this on another thread.
  • So instead of holding the shiftier I found I had accidentally rested on the hazard button just below and had 'em flashing for who knows how long.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:05 AM
TurboDogue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So here’s my two cents on owning both cars.

As background I had a GT4 for about a year, drove it about 4800 miles and tracked the car at COTA. I also recently ordered and took delivery in April of a 991.2 Gt3 Manual. Drove it 1500 miles and did not track. It. Recently I traded the manual 991.2 Gt3 at my dealer for a used 991.2 Gt3 pdk. Have put 1800 miles on the pdk car now. First reason for the trade to pdk included the fact that I also have a 997.1 RS, so the new Gt3 Manual felt overkill on rowing and for me the post Mortem on delivery was having one of each transmission made more sense for me. Post securing the pdk I made the right choice for me. The pdk wakes this car up IMO. Flame suit on here.

But the real reason I started down the path of moving from thte Manual to PDK was the dual mass flywheel being slower to accelerate compared to the mezger RS LWF. Not just my opinion but several friends who drove both cars and or also owned both. Could talk more on this but that out of the scope of the thread. Additionally the clutch felt extremely light compared to my 997 and arguably IMO even lighter than the Gt4 clutch. That was my biggest disappointment. A GT3 imo should have a more racy and aggressive clutch feel to me. Still love the manual, just not ideal.

So comapring the GT4 manual VS 991.2 Gt3 Manual. I think the actual gearboxes are so close it’s hard to say any material differences. Slight nod to the feel being ever so tighter on the new Gt3; but I really liked the way the clutch engaged lower with more feedback and the overall weight of it on the GT4. Hard to say one better than the other. Just different. Maybe more seat time and I would have learned the 991 feel better.

With respect to the motor, forget it. Not even close. The crowning achievement of the 991.2 is the motor. It’s flawless, its ANGRY, it’s loud. I NEVER tire of the sound of any Gt3, but this 991.2 is my fave tone. However this engine is also simply too much for the street at any sane point of view. Which makes the case for the manual to create invioclement with less speeds. Others here have said that also. Lastly I am set for COTA in October with the new Gt3 and cannot wait to put the car in its element As an ex WERA bike racer, I know this car will be a handful. And if you choose to buy one, I think you have to plan to track it regularly or why own one? You can’t exploit it on the street?

So, enter the Gt4. Reliable motor. Sleak lines, smaller car look and feel. Have to admit the new Gt3 is big. Until then991.2 styling I preferred the gt4 over the 991 styling in general. I do like the new Gt3 black matte accents better though. The Gt4 Engine sound is not great but does sound good (except when being passed by any model Gt3) and has the ability to make you feel like you are getting more out of your ability VS the car’s. Proof of this for me was the Gt4 on track never felt intimidating. It’s was just me getting close to my driving limits. Now that comment will turn some folks off, as they want a car to scare them, so if that’s you, the gt3 has to be your car. If not, have to say the mid engine balance and lesser HP make the car far more suited and easier to enjoy on the street as you can dance around it’s peak in each gear without being at 150 in an instant on the road. Granted you have to address the third gear issue to track it regularly but it’s such a great all around, multi purpose car that can be used sanely on the back roads, can drive it to work easily and is a competent track weapon on the weekend. Add the money diff and it’s a strong performer all around.

Overall the GT3 due to the motor, better suspension parts, and revised handling and nannies makes the Gt3 tower over the GT4 in performance. To debate that just says you haven’t driven both ornchoose to ignore the lap times. . However performance alone isn’t the only merit of car ownership. I’d honestly be hard pressed to say I couldnt get as much enjoyment out of the GT4 on street or track. At is price point putting 50k miles on it between now and when I die driving all over the US is a bucket list item and a depreciation cost to car value likely all of us can afford. So no wrong choice. Blonde or brunette. To each his own. Having one of each wouldnt though suck either! 😛. Hope this helps.

QUOTE=Gtsilvergt4;14628684]Starting this thread to seek opinions from those that have had both.
I have a GT4 that I only use as a road/ weekend car.
I remain undecided on upgrading the GT4 to a manual GT3.
Jimmy D’s thoughts are always helpful.
Thanks in advance for any input!

Cheers,
Brian[/QUOTE]
Old 08-23-2018, 01:24 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboDogue
So here’s my two cents on owning both cars.

As background I had a GT4 for about a year, drove it about 4800 miles and tracked the car at COTA. I also recently ordered and took delivery in April of a 991.2 Gt3 Manual. Drove it 1500 miles and did not track. It. Recently I traded the manual 991.2 Gt3 at my dealer for a used 991.2 Gt3 pdk. Have put 1800 miles on the pdk car now. First reason for the trade to pdk included the fact that I also have a 997.1 RS, so the new Gt3 Manual felt overkill on rowing and for me the post Mortem on delivery was having one of each transmission made more sense for me. Post securing the pdk I made the right choice for me. The pdk wakes this car up IMO. Flame suit on here.

But the real reason I started down the path of moving from thte Manual to PDK was the dual mass flywheel being slower to accelerate compared to the mezger RS LWF. Not just my opinion but several friends who drove both cars and or also owned both. Could talk more on this but that out of the scope of the thread. Additionally the clutch felt extremely light compared to my 997 and arguably IMO even lighter than the Gt4 clutch. That was my biggest disappointment. A GT3 imo should have a more racy and aggressive clutch feel to me. Still love the manual, just not ideal.

So comapring the GT4 manual VS 991.2 Gt3 Manual. I think the actual gearboxes are so close it’s hard to say any material differences. Slight nod to the feel being ever so tighter on the new Gt3; but I really liked the way the clutch engaged lower with more feedback and the overall weight of it on the GT4. Hard to say one better than the other. Just different. Maybe more seat time and I would have learned the 991 feel better.

With respect to the motor, forget it. Not even close. The crowning achievement of the 991.2 is the motor. It’s flawless, its ANGRY, it’s loud. I NEVER tire of the sound of any Gt3, but this 991.2 is my fave tone. However this engine is also simply too much for the street at any sane point of view. Which makes the case for the manual to create invioclement with less speeds. Others here have said that also. Lastly I am set for COTA in October with the new Gt3 and cannot wait to put the car in its element As an ex WERA bike racer, I know this car will be a handful. And if you choose to buy one, I think you have to plan to track it regularly or why own one? You can’t exploit it on the street?

So, enter the Gt4. Reliable motor. Sleak lines, smaller car look and feel. Have to admit the new Gt3 is big. Until then991.2 styling I preferred the gt4 over the 991 styling in general. I do like the new Gt3 black matte accents better though. The Gt4 Engine sound is not great but does sound good (except when being passed by any model Gt3) and has the ability to make you feel like you are getting more out of your ability VS the car’s. Proof of this for me was the Gt4 on track never felt intimidating. It’s was just me getting close to my driving limits. Now that comment will turn some folks off, as they want a car to scare them, so if that’s you, the gt3 has to be your car. If not, have to say the mid engine balance and lesser HP make the car far more suited and easier to enjoy on the street as you can dance around it’s peak in each gear without being at 150 in an instant on the road. Granted you have to address the third gear issue to track it regularly but it’s such a great all around, multi purpose car that can be used sanely on the back roads, can drive it to work easily and is a competent track weapon on the weekend. Add the money diff and it’s a strong performer all around.

Overall the GT3 due to the motor, better suspension parts, and revised handling and nannies makes the Gt3 tower over the GT4 in performance. To debate that just says you haven’t driven both ornchoose to ignore the lap times. . However performance alone isn’t the only merit of car ownership. I’d honestly be hard pressed to say I couldnt get as much enjoyment out of the GT4 on street or track. At is price point putting 50k miles on it between now and when I die driving all over the US is a bucket list item and a depreciation cost to car value likely all of us can afford. So no wrong choice. Blonde or brunette. To each his own. Having one of each wouldnt though suck either! 😛. Hope this helps.

QUOTE=Gtsilvergt4;14628684]Starting this thread to seek opinions from those that have had both.
I have a GT4 that I only use as a road/ weekend car.
I remain undecided on upgrading the GT4 to a manual GT3.
Jimmy D’s thoughts are always helpful.
Thanks in advance for any input!

Cheers,
Brian

[/QUOTE]

Well put and agreed on most counts! Though I’ve owned a .1 GT3 PDK, GT4, and .2 manual, and tracked them all, and I sold the PDK because it was so boring in the street and not as fun on track. What can I say, I love the mechanical feel of being part of the car rowing the gears...

My main issue with the .2 is the clutch as you mentioned. Too light for a GT3, but the lightness plus high engagement point does make for faster shifting on track...

Last edited by Mech33; 08-25-2018 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:07 AM
merc5326
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Chassis

I currently have a GT4 and when I enter a steep driveway one of the wheels comes off the ground from the chassis being stiff. I’m assuming (hoping) the .2 GT3 is just a stiff, yes?
Old 08-25-2018, 01:33 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by merc5326
I currently have a GT4 and when I enter a steep driveway one of the wheels comes off the ground from the chassis being stiff. I’m assuming (hoping) the .2 GT3 is just a stiff, yes?
Yes
Old 08-25-2018, 04:35 PM
merc5326
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=GrantG;15241878]

Yes
Thanks Grant!

Quick Reply: 991.2GT3 vs GT4 (both manual)