Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2GT3 vs GT4 (both manual)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 05:19 PM
BLACKMAMBA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a GT4 and now have the .2 GT3. The only advantages of the GT4 from my perspective were the lower price and the mid engine balance / handling. In every other area, I prefer the GT3. Engine, performance, gearbox, looks, interior are all better on the GT3 although I appreciate a couple of those are subjective.

On the cost, once you have got passed the purchase price, I think the depreciation and running costs are not materially different. So if you can get one and have the funds, the cost argument largely goes away. While the handling is better on the GT4, I like the rear engine feel of the GT3 which is definitely there. I drove some good roads recently and the traction out of corners and weight shift is an absolute joy.

Biggest thing I like about the GT3 is it has that special “it” factor. The GT4 grew on me because it was such a good all around package. I fell in love with the GT3 on the first drive and get excited every time I pull it out of the garage.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:02 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

On my personal scale, which is admittedly warped, I think the GT4 came in at a 6.5 out of 10 in the end. Everything was “really good, but...”.

Engine- really good, but underpowered for a competition car and carrying a big mid-range dead spot.
Gearbox- really good shifter but geared far too tall (especially 2nd).
Driving position- really good but lacking in helmet room (I’m 6’ 3.5”).
Chassis- really good up to 7/10ths but ragged as you get to and over the limit; doesn’t love to slide.
Styling- really good but a little over the top.
Brakes- really good. Period. Ok, so not everything got a “but”...

In comparison I’d give the GT3 T a 9.5 so far (not long out of break in). Sure it could be a little smaller, a fraction less coddling, etc, but the number of “buts” have gone down by a factor of 5 or more. That makes all the difference as you’re getting out of the car post-drive. On paper I could quote all the reasons the GT3’s not worth the premium for a few scant on-track seconds that really didn’t cost Porsche that much to liberate. But I’d be lying, because to me I can already tell- it absolutely is.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:09 PM
JRidge
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I traded my GT4 for my .2 manual GT3. The .2 GT3 is awesome, and I wish I could say it was better in every single way, but to me there are some trade-offs. My initial impression after going from GT4 to GT3 was wow, this is a BIG, heavy, car. Still feel that way. For me it's not so much a preference for mid-engine vs. rear-engine, it's preferring lighter, smaller and nimbler to bigger and heavier. Yes, the GT4 is about chassis and handling, the GT3 is about the 4 ltr, 500 hp, 9k rpm, motorsport engine. But even if they put the GT3 motor in the GT4, there's a part of me that would still prefer the 911 layout. Just a smaller, lighter version of it. Don't get me wrong. I love it. But I'd love it more if was more similar to the GT4 in weight and dimensions.

If I'm completely honest, and was capable of being completely objective, if I could remove everything I know about the history of Porsche, the allure and aura of the 911, brand, marketing and model positioning, price, etc., from my brain, if I had been raised by wolves or came from Mars and the words "Cayman" and "911" meant nothing to me, there is a good chance I'd give the nod to the GT4. But as others have said, the 911 GT3 has that special "it" factor, the 911 heritage, etc.(and of course that motor!), and it scratches a major, deep-seeded, primal itch for me. I still pinch myself that I even own one. And it is a great car, and great to drive. But one day I may conclude that the GT4 was just a better overall package. Maybe by the time I reach that conclusion, they will have put the 4.0 motorsport engine in the GT4 platform!

I'm sure I've only added to the confusion. Conclusion: It's really hard to go wrong with choices like these. Even if I end up back in a GT4 (whether 981 or 718), I'll always be glad I owned both, and never regret having experienced a GT3. If you've never had one, I'd just do it. You can always go back.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:30 PM
Gtsilvergt4
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JRidge,
Thanks for your thoughts which I think I agree with totallly.
although I have not driven a GT3, I decided to stay with my GT4.
When I was test driving several 911’s, I didn’t get that cockpit/wow feeling like I get every time I take the GT 4 out.
911 just felt too bulky and less nimble on road.
with regards, to other comments which of course are subjective,
I cant imagine a gearbox/clutch combo being any meaningfully better than the GT4. I hear GT3 clutch is light which I despise. GT 4 clutch is perfect.
Except from the rear, I prefer looks of GT4 to 911 but from behind, 911 without wing wins by a wide margin.
Interior the same to me quality wise but again GT 4 feels tighter which this short skinny guy prefers.
obviously engine wins in GT3 but I don’t track and for the driving I do, More power might actually make driving GT 4 less fun on road.
in summary, there are good reasons why some have touted the GT4 as one of the greatest sports car ever made. Quite the value too.
cheers,
Brian

Old 04-18-2018, 07:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
On my personal scale, which is admittedly warped, I think the GT4 came in at a 6.5 out of 10 in the end. Everything was “really good, but...”.

Engine- really good, but underpowered for a competition car and carrying a big mid-range dead spot.
Gearbox- really good shifter but geared far too tall (especially 2nd).
Driving position- really good but lacking in helmet room (I’m 6’ 3.5”).
Chassis- really good up to 7/10ths but ragged as you get to and over the limit; doesn’t love to slide.
Styling- really good but a little over the top.
Brakes- really good. Period. Ok, so not everything got a “but”...

In comparison I’d give the GT3 T a 9.5 so far (not long out of break in). Sure it could be a little smaller, a fraction less coddling, etc, but the number of “buts” have gone down by a factor of 5 or more. That makes all the difference as you’re getting out of the car post-drive. On paper I could quote all the reasons the GT3’s not worth the premium for a few scant on-track seconds that really didn’t cost Porsche that much to liberate. But I’d be lying, because to me I can already tell- it absolutely is.
So Pete, what if (or should we say when) the next gen GT4 gets a de-tuned 4.0L GT3 motor and its 6sp box + final ratio...
Old 04-18-2018, 08:04 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

I love the GT4

I love my .2 GT3 w/Manual

I do not miss the GT4 because the 4.0 does not let you think about any thing else. It is just on e of the best NA engines mated to one of the Best manuals.

If they dropped the 4.0 in the GT4- I would buy another GT4 but until then- not trading this for any thing else. Unless/when/maybe- they come out with the new Vantage S( figure 550 hp) with a manual in a couple years. Really impressed with the new design.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:22 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I loved my GT4, still prefer the 6MT in that car to the .2 GT3, as well as the slightly heavier clutch, but the GT3 motor is so far above and beyond the GT4's in performance and sound, I could not go ever go back. I haven't had a chance to drive the GT3 in 2 days due to weather but just thinking about that engine note has me reaching for the keys, it's _that_ addictive.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:52 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I think many here, including Myself ,would have an interest. But if they put a GT3 engine in a GT4 expect the price to go up $30,000 just on MSRP alone. Which - would still be a bargain
+1,
Big respect for Jimmy-D's succinct summaries on these cars, but $30k seems too low. I see adjustment not just for the cost of a $30k engine but past marketing misreads, (I'm thinking add $15K). I bet Porsche INTL marketing was caught off guard (Porsche USA knew tho) on how the GT4 climbed and commanded ADMs on both the primary and secondary market. These strong sales relay that they had underpriced the MSRP and could have charged more in the USA.

I bet they noticed and will not make that mistake again.

I understand the sentiment "it is only a Cayman" but they created a true contender, which is why I am convinced if they install a 4.0L race engine that the GT4 WILL infringe on GT3 territory. Having a far lower price point car apply purchasing pressure on their top eschelon GT3 is not in their business model

PS - great topic, thanks for starting this
Old 04-19-2018, 03:48 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
So Pete, what if (or should we say when) the next gen GT4 gets a de-tuned 4.0L GT3 motor and its 6sp box + final ratio...
I think that will cure about half the issues. My biggest problem with all the Boxsters/ Caymans remains the rear suspension behavior on and over the limit. This is indirectly noticeable in the understeer led balance that can unexpected flip in certain conditions when dialed out with the swaybars (wet) or with certain camber. Interestingly I found this less of an issue in Spyder (due to the ride height and wheel/ tire package?).

On the Boxster Spyder launch the engineers commented that they felt the rear strut suspension design was good to about 500 hp. If they swapped it for multi-link I could see it being very nearly the perfect car (Touring version!). Without that I'm betting I'd still go for the 991 despite the fact that I highly prefer the Cayman's smaller feel.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:53 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

After having my GT3 for a few months I would say there are only a few things I miss anout the GT4.

1. The nimble chasis and lightweight feel of the GT4
2. Being able to access the rear with the hatch
3. The biggest thing I miss.......5 lugs
Old 04-19-2018, 03:59 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Very tough call...those new .2 GT3's are very very good cars and we've been getting a lot of seat time in them around Sebring. That new drivetrain is epic to say the least. But at the end of the day there is an "X-factor" the GT4 has that is somehow missing in the GT3s. It has the potential for so much more of a rewarding experience than people give it credit for, but unfortunately there are a lot of factors that are dampening that experience out of the gate. The power of the car isn't as impressive as it should be, the rear suspension is strut-style and not nearly as sophisticated as the GT3, and the gearing is much too long.

Now, as many of you know we have dedicated a lot of time with the GT4 as we were quite determined to unleash the true spirit of the car. We've been putting powerkits on the car to unleash about another 40whp with little drawback in driving experience on the street (race headers with factory PSE/intake/tune). We've developed a multi link rear suspension conversion that has absolutely transformed the handling of the car, and now we have our final drive ratio that is 19% shorter to resolve the long gearing complaint and increase the thrust of the car a nice bit. The resulting experience has been nothing short of impressive. The car is now a solid 9/10 in our book and arguably the best car I have ever driven and tracked. That is not just our sentiment, it is shared by those that have driven these builds on and off the track. If I were to nitpick the car at this point, I would still very much like to see it with the new 4.0L in it as the car could still use another 50hp to hit that 10/10. But at the end of the day, I'd still take a current GT4 with the weak points knocked out over a .2 GT3 even if it cost a significant bit more money...which it doesn't.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:11 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

How much cost the tuning package ?
(Engine, multilink, gearing) incl. work/installation.

Last edited by DK7; 04-19-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:02 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DK7
How much cost the tuning package ?
(Engine, multilink, gearing) incl. work/installation.

I can't speak for the labor costs involved with other shops, but if you include some complimenting suspension geometry tweaks to the front as well like adjuster caster bushings, toe links, etc I'd estimate all three of those to be in the $20-$25k range for us to do it depending on the extent of additional tweaks to be done at the same time.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:40 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACKMAMBA
I had a GT4 and now have the .2 GT3. The only advantages of the GT4 from my perspective were the lower price and the mid engine balance / handling. In every other area, I prefer the GT3. Engine, performance, gearbox, looks, interior are all better on the GT3 although I appreciate a couple of those are subjective.

On the cost, once you have got passed the purchase price, I think the depreciation and running costs are not materially different. So if you can get one and have the funds, the cost argument largely goes away. While the handling is better on the GT4, I like the rear engine feel of the GT3 which is definitely there. I drove some good roads recently and the traction out of corners and weight shift is an absolute joy.

Biggest thing I like about the GT3 is it has that special “it” factor. The GT4 grew on me because it was such a good all around package. I fell in love with the GT3 on the first drive and get excited every time I pull it out of the garage.
My brother has a GT4 and we often switch it up. I am not a huge fan of the car EXCEPT price point. The car is geared way to high and motor is beyond not special. But this was coming from multiple GT3 (manual and PDK) and RS's. For 100k its great but not even i the same league as a GT3.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:16 PM
merc5326
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Keep the Intel coming...

Originally Posted by JRidge
I traded my GT4 for my .2 manual GT3. The .2 GT3 is awesome, and I wish I could say it was better in every single way, but to me there are some trade-offs. My initial impression after going from GT4 to GT3 was wow, this is a BIG, heavy, car. Still feel that way. For me it's not so much a preference for mid-engine vs. rear-engine, it's preferring lighter, smaller and nimbler to bigger and heavier. Yes, the GT4 is about chassis and handling, the GT3 is about the 4 ltr, 500 hp, 9k rpm, motorsport engine. But even if they put the GT3 motor in the GT4, there's a part of me that would still prefer the 911 layout. Just a smaller, lighter version of it. Don't get me wrong. I love it. But I'd love it more if was more similar to the GT4 in weight and dimensions.

If I'm completely honest, and was capable of being completely objective, if I could remove everything I know about the history of Porsche, the allure and aura of the 911, brand, marketing and model positioning, price, etc., from my brain, if I had been raised by wolves or came from Mars and the words "Cayman" and "911" meant nothing to me, there is a good chance I'd give the nod to the GT4. But as others have said, the 911 GT3 has that special "it" factor, the 911 heritage, etc.(and of course that motor!), and it scratches a major, deep-seeded, primal itch for me. I still pinch myself that I even own one. And it is a great car, and great to drive. But one day I may conclude that the GT4 was just a better overall package. Maybe by the time I reach that conclusion, they will have put the 4.0 motorsport engine in the GT4 platform!

I'm sure I've only added to the confusion. Conclusion: It's really hard to go wrong with choices like these. Even if I end up back in a GT4 (whether 981 or 718), I'll always be glad I owned both, and never regret having experienced a GT3. If you've never had one, I'd just do it. You can always go back.
This was my favorite post so far. Unfortunately, I'm still undecided. I've made continual upgrades along my Porsche journey, 996 to 997 S to GT4, which, I feel, is hands down the better machine than the previous two. I've grown accustom to the simplicity of the three gauges so much so, that I don't even know why the other two are there on a 911, LOL. The GT4 is more unique IMO, but I find myself slowly gravitating back to my roots, back to the 911. I frequently go on weekend drives with two pals that have new (.1 & .2) GT3's and I must say my exhaust is much throatier than theirs
Sure their cars are faster, but mine has a slight edge through the twisties and I enjoy the smaller, nimbler package. In Southern California, it seems GT3's are a dime a dozen, especially the .2, which me makes wonder if that will have a negative effect on values. Just throwing my thoughts out here to keep some additional input coming in. Thanks!

Last edited by merc5326; 07-23-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 991.2GT3 vs GT4 (both manual)