Sponsored by:

991.1 vs 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 03:20 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

I really don’t care what the non-Porschefiles think, but to my eyes they are very different after seeing them side-by-side. The key differences are:

1. The black air intakes.
2. The rear taillights.
3. The new front with the black aero and redesigned turn signals.
4. The black lower part of side mirrors.
5. The redesigned lower rear bumper.
6. The air grill that is now integrated into the back of the wing.
7. The height of the wing and aoa.
8. Dropping the gloss black wheels for flat black.
9. The black tips on the wing.
10. The stripe on the seat.

In my opinion all of these are a step back from the .1. Not saying the .2 is ugly, but Porsche nailed the looks perfectly on the .1. If i had any input on the .2 i have just done two things. First, keep the slightly redesigned front air intakes, but without the black bits or redesigned turn signals. Second, i would have redesigned the rear intakes to be similar to the 997 RS 4.0, of course painted to match the rest of the car. Slap the 4.0 on the wing and call it a day.
I don’t disagree that there are differences between the two cars (when I accompanied a friend in my .1 to pick up his .2, we meticulously categorized as many differences as we could). They are there but subtle. Then we stood back 15ft and looked at the two cars again, with the exception of the black air intakes on the rear deck lid and the redesigned front bumper, none of the other differences stood out to us (of course the Black tips on the rear wing are obvious). BTW, my .1 also has black lower parts on the side mirror, nothing new. All I meant to say was that IMO the two cars aren’t that different from 15ft away. Most RLers will know which is which right away though!
Old 01-21-2018, 03:48 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

I really don’t care what the non-Porschefiles think, but to my eyes they are very different after seeing them side-by-side. The key differences are:

1. The black air intakes.
2. The rear taillights.
3. The new front with the black aero and redesigned turn signals.
4. The black lower part of side mirrors.
5. The redesigned lower rear bumper.
6. The air grill that is now integrated into the back of the wing.
7. The height of the wing and aoa.
8. Dropping the gloss black wheels for flat black.
9. The black tips on the wing.
10. The stripe on the seat.

In my opinion all of these are a step back from the .1. Not saying the .2 is ugly, but Porsche nailed the looks perfectly on the .1. If i had any input on the .2 i have just done two things. First, keep the slightly redesigned front air intakes, but without the black bits or redesigned turn signals. Second, i would have redesigned the rear intakes to be similar to the 997 RS 4.0, of course painted to match the rest of the car. Slap the 4.0 on the wing and call it a day.
I will bet you most .1 owners think the .1 is the more beautiful car, and most .2 owners think that the .2 is the more beautiful car so we might end up in circles here....

That being said, I think that the .1 is the more beautiful car and the .2 is the more aggressive looking car. If I have to choose between the two in terms of looks, I would go with the .2 looks (and I put my money where my mouth is and did), but at the end of the day I'd be happy with either car.

The .1 and .2 look very very similar to most, more IMO than 997.1 compared with 997.2 GT3, where it comes down to more than looks for someone to choose one over the other (price point, if you want MT, engine, rear camera, updated PCM, etc).
Old 01-21-2018, 04:06 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

^ Agree 100%
Old 01-21-2018, 04:18 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I went .1 PDK to .2 PDK, that's how I feel the two compare.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:19 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Psup4s
I agree with you Rob and have often thought that the .1 looks should be the updated look (minus the tail lights) and not the other way around. I still like both cars and would have no problem having either one. Anyway, it's just another opinion don't flame me for it LOL
I still like both cars too! And they are pretty close. I don’t think anything done to the .2 aesthetically would turn me off from buying one. But i would be lying if i said the .2 looked better - to me. Because it doesn’t. Again, imo. But for most, aesthetics play very little in the decision to upgrade. The new engine and tranny trump everything else. And some will like the “bad” nature of the .2 looks. I am just not that guy.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:24 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I will bet you most .1 owners think the .1 is the more beautiful car, and most .2 owners think that the .2 is the more beautiful car so we might end up in circles here....

That being said, I think that the .1 is the more beautiful car and the .2 is the more aggressive looking car. If I have to choose between the two in terms of looks, I would go with the .2 looks (and I put my money where my mouth is and did), but at the end of the day I'd be happy with either car.

The .1 and .2 look very very similar to most, more IMO than 997.1 compared with 997.2 GT3, where it comes down to more than looks for someone to choose one over the other (price point, if you want MT, engine, rear camera, updated PCM, etc).
Agree 100%. Beauty vs Aggressive. I wonder if Porsche figured most manual lovers also like it more aggressive looking? In any case, they sure found a way to distinguish the .1 from .2. Pick your flavor. Both are great.

Quick Reply: 991.1 vs 991.2 GT3