First drive ever in a GT3: my new 2018 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 10:42 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 91 Posts
Default First drive ever in a GT3: my new 2018 GT3

https://imgur.com/a/yKA5k

So, I’ve driven a couple regular 911’s and they are nice, but the GT3 is otherworldly. Immediate responses and the SOUND. This engine is something special. I got a few hundred varied miles on it and then did a few rolling acceleration runs and let the engine and PDK-S do their thing. WOW. I’m a convert. This thing wants to run.

Ride isn’t bad, but it gets a little busy on multiple bumps. Still daily driveable for sure if you want. There is definitely more road noise coming into the cabin, but on most roads, you can actually use the Bose when cruising. That said, you do turn off the radio when accelerating. Has to be one of the best sounding cars on the planet. I gave several family members rides and they all commented on the race car sounds with the transmission and engine. I concur.

i want to thank my local salesman and dealer (PP Dallas) for the integrity in which they do business. That goes both ways as I will always deal with them on my P-car transactions buying and selling. I am grateful to have them local and have a great relationship with my sales guy. Got my first P-car through him (GT4) and now this masterpiece.

So, on transmission and my 18 ways. I really didn’t like the cable shifter in my GT4 as I am used to linkage shifters like in my ZR1. The GT4 worked great on the track and around town mostly, but sometimes it felt like there was a bit more resistance going into gear like a little extra detent especially at lower rpm. So, shift action wasn’t 100% consistent. It annoyed me. So PDK-S it is and it’s sublime. Does everything right and in milliseconds. On the seats, I drive around town 95% of the time and my Dad is a big guy. I wanted him to enjoy it. Plus, I like heated seats with my problematic back. Yes, I’m a sissy.

Anyway, in love with the car. It’s everything you all have read and seen. I feel very fortunate to have one in the garage.

Last edited by Quikag; 11-24-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:44 AM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats!!!!
I still wake up and drive in disbelief of this thing. Fellow wuss and connoisseur if bucket seats as well.
im still in break in but can’t wait to hear it sing!
Old 11-24-2017, 11:05 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

awesome!

you and I have similar taste in cars---I too had a ZR1 and still have the GT4 and 991.1 GT3...never noticed the issues you describe with the GT4 shifter, as a matter of fact, I like it a lot better than the ZR1 shifter and I had both the stock and MGW shifters in that car.

time for pics and the cars specs

(anxiously awaiting my allocation for 991.2 RS)
Old 11-24-2017, 11:24 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Congrats!
Old 11-24-2017, 12:15 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Congrats. I recently picked up a new silver gt3 as well and wanted sofa, heated seats and bose stereo. Great options to have if you drive a lot and get in/out often.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:53 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. Yeah it’s still an edgy ride but with the sofas, PDK, Bose, and some nice interior options, it’s still a fun balanced ride that will still be quite capable on track but easier around town.

More comments:

-oil pressure gauge is a joke. They should have redone the range as the pressure is at the upper end all the time except at idle. Heard from others that’s normal.

-engine warms up VERY fast. Idled for about 5 minutes after overnight cold start while waiting for the wife yesterday morning and temps were almost up to operating range.

-looking in the rear view mirror, those intake ducts under the wing look awesome!

-you can really tell when the intake and exhaust flappers are opening and closing. It’s quiet and subdued at low throttle and low rpm but it comes alive as you climb near 4K and above.

- the whoosh sound when you lower the front axle lift sounds cool.

-sport cup 2 tires love to pick up gravel and other loose stuff on road and it likes rattling in the wheel wells. No biggie and expected.

-I like the rear back-up camera, but wish there was a front one too.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:15 PM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 59 Posts

Quickag...congrats on your car and I hope you're enjoying the unseasonably warm DFW weather! I agree with your assessment of PP and have been a customer there for years. I have a GT3 on the way with Bose, heated seats, extra leather, etc. There's nothing sissy about any GT3 and for what it's worth, I think you were wise to build the car for your own enjoyment as opposed to the perceived expectations of a future buyer or other forum members.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:21 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Pics?
Old 11-24-2017, 01:23 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Akunob
Pics?
sorry link is at very top of first post. I can’t figure out how to link specific pictures to pop up yet since photobucket went to crap.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:38 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
sorry link is at very top of first post. I can’t figure out how to link specific pictures to pop up yet since photobucket went to crap.
Thanks, missed the link at the top of the 1st post. Your car looks really nice in Silver/Gt Silver Metallic? Sounds like you're having a blast with it.

That kid solving the 9x multiplication table though...
Old 11-24-2017, 01:46 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Einmalig
Quickag...congrats on your car and I hope you're enjoying the unseasonably warm DFW weather! I agree with your assessment of PP and have been a customer there for years. I have a GT3 on the way with Bose, heated seats, extra leather, etc. There's nothing sissy about any GT3 and for what it's worth, I think you were wise to build the car for your own enjoyment as opposed to the perceived expectations of a future buyer or other forum members.
Yes, very thankful I got car day before Thanksgiving. Weekend is looking awesome weather wise so time away from work to put on a lot of miles. Yeah, I built the car for what I wanted. If I sell it for a .2 RS or whatever, people can either want it or not.

The color is GT silver. I really like it.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:59 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,815 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Congrats on the car. Funny that PP hasn't contacted me about a GT3 allocation even though I've had my deposit in for it since May 2015, probably bc I'm an out of towner.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:00 PM
EST
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

2018 ??
It's still 2017 now !
Old 11-24-2017, 04:48 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Congrats on the new ride!
Old 11-24-2017, 07:56 PM
csfastp
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats on your new ride. I love GT Silver. I picked mine 2 weeks ago from PP they are great to deal with.

Quick Reply: First drive ever in a GT3: my new 2018 GT3