Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Brewster Green v Viola Metallic ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 03:16 PM
niqui7ladoo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Brewster Green v Viola Metallic ??

So,

Since my last post asking about whether PTS was worth it haha, I just got approved this week and have to confirm my color by tomorrow. Can you guys help me out with Viola Metallic v Brewster Green please? I was originally set on Brewster, but I fear it will be too subdued. I like the idea of some pop and subtle specialness - more cool and less obnoxious.

I have never seen either in real life, but based on my googling, Brewster often looks underwhelming, but I haven't seen many GT3's with fun builds in Brewster. Viola always looks vivid in pictures, but who knows what filters and stuff they are doing. Whenever I speak to true Porscheheads, they undeniably say Brewster is the way to go.

I understand that this is all subjective, but would love some help or even to know your preference. If it makes any difference, I am a young guy (under 30) and it would be a weekend toy (every few weekends, I travel for work a lot)...If resale value implications are likely significant, I would consider them.

Thanks for any help,

nick

My build would be the same for both colors essentially - key features below:
black headlights
black rims
race seats with stripe delete
leather cabin with yellow cross stitch
PCCBs
yellow belts
CF trim

PS: I also asked the PTS gurus in the sticky, but need the help haha and thought this would be easier!

Last edited by niqui7ladoo; 11-23-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:31 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Color very subjective. But here are some objective facts:

1. Brewster is more common than Viola Metallic, (for what that matters to you in terms of your wish to have a unique car. )

2. Because Brewster is more common, there *may* be a better resale market for it vs. Viola Metallic, especially since it’s considered a Porsche heritage color.

3. Viola Metallic is rare (and also quite beautiful, IMO, though I’ve not had the pleasure of seeing it in person). There’s a good example pic of it earlier in the history of Instagram PTSRS that I absolutely love, where it looks dark and lovely. I’ve also seen some nice pics of it on a 918 Spyder that look pretty real life.

4. Brewster, which I’ve seen plenty on Porsche official sample pieces in comparison to other greens, can look somewhat dark olive drab, almost bordering on a greenish black, in some lighting. (Which I find unattractive.)

A little subjectivevism...

If it were me choosing between these two, I would get Viola Metallic since it’s very rare/special and IMO more beautiful. But I also think both these colors would look better with the added contrast that having silver or satin aluminum wheels would add, as well as NOT getting blacked out headlights. When you do all the trim items in black on a dark metallic color in black , I think it causes the paint color to almost disappear. But when you do bright trim on a dark metallic color, it really helps the paint color To pop. Since you’re doing PCCB, you won’t have to worry about brake dust, so why not get the silver wheels and either the standard bi-xenon or standard LED headlights (both would be bright silver), which would look great against the dark metallic paint?
Old 11-23-2017, 03:37 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I personally like the black accents and wheels with Brewster. Another example of how subjective it is.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:42 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 119 Posts

I think Brewster is Mega.

Wheel and light would be a harder choice for me although I am a fan of black wheels in general. After surfing a lot of pics on google images, Brewster is already dark and I just think it pops with silver or platinum wheels and regular LEDs.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:45 PM
smyers528
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Get Brewster......so I can buy the car from you in 2-10 years ......he he he
Seriously though, I think that color looks amazing on GT cars, congrats on PTS!
Old 11-23-2017, 03:46 PM
niqui7ladoo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lapis
Color very subjective. But here are some objective facts:

1. Brewster is more common than Viola Metallic, (for what that matters to you in terms of your wish to have a unique car. )

2. Because Brewster is more common, there *may* be a better resale market for it vs. Viola Metallic, especially since it’s considered a Porsche heritage color.

3. Viola Metallic is rare (and also quite beautiful, IMO, though I’ve not had the pleasure of seeing it in person). There’s a good example pic of it earlier in the history of Instagram PTSRS that I absolutely love, where it looks dark and lovely. I’ve also seen some nice pics of it on a 918 Spyder that look pretty real life.

4. Brewster, which I’ve seen plenty on Porsche official sample pieces in comparison to other greens, can look somewhat dark olive drab, almost bordering on a greenish black, in some lighting. (Which I find unattractive.)

A little subjectivevism...

If it were me choosing between these two, I would get Viola Metallic since it’s very rare/special and IMO more beautiful. But I also think both these colors would look better with the added contrast that having silver or satin aluminum wheels would add, as well as NOT getting blacked out headlights. When you do all the trim items in black on a dark metallic color in black , I think it causes the paint color to almost disappear. But when you do bright trim on a dark metallic color, it really helps the paint color To pop. Since you’re doing PCCB, you won’t have to worry about brake dust, so why not get the silver wheels and either the standard bi-xenon or standard LED headlights (both would be bright silver), which would look great against the dark metallic paint?
Thanks a lot - I had very similar thoughts.

Brewster is the no-brainer heritage color that you "can't not like" and resale should be strong, if it comes to that. With the added yellow flashes, it could have enough pop to be fun for a young guy. But by the same token, it often looks a bit "drab" or very subdued, boring...especially considering that we are paying an extra 15k for it.

By contrast, I think deep down that the purple is more striking and I wouldn't be embarrassed to park it in front of my office or a restaurant (miami blue, i would be)...but it is subdued enough to not be obnoxious. Like you, I think it has no real history or heritage and gets less love on resale. The other thing which bothers me, is that my city will have maybe 6 PTS GT3s...I know mine would be the only Brewster, but I know another guy is doing Viola. I sound like a child, but it bugs me. However, like you said, I am sure there are more Brewsters generally.

Not sure if my rambling got us anywhere and if i should give any wait to the fact that my PTS car will be identical to one other persons, lol.

Lastly, I really did think about your point re contrasting trim. If anything, i thought it about it more on the Brewster build...but then decided, if i went with silver trim, then i would go touring...if I stayed with the wing, i would stick with the black race look. But I will go back and play around. Since I am paying for the PCCBs, i could do the silver wheels and clear headlights on the viola, but not sure how that would look honestly...

thanks,

nick

Also - thank you to the second poster re Brewster comment...i asked a few friends, and it is amazing how the split is dead even haha.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:47 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

GT3 Touring: Brewster
GT3 w/ wing: Viola Metallic

I'm not a fan of Brewster on 911's with wings. It's look much better on the classic 911 shape.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:49 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Irish green looks awesome in my opinion
Old 11-23-2017, 03:51 PM
niqui7ladoo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jarhead32
I think Brewster is Mega.

Wheel and light would be a harder choice for me although I am a fan of black wheels in general. After surfing a lot of pics on google images, Brewster is already dark and I just think it pops with silver or platinum wheels and regular LEDs.
didn't expect this much help - thanks guys!

yeah, i hummed and hoed about the silver v black trim bit. I honestly wish i could build it with these choice on an actual Brewster color sample, but the configurator won't let me, which i find makes this all harder.

I have always loved the sinister look that the dark headlights give...but this was always on lighter color lights. I will give it a shot on a black or grey build to give me an idea of the look, but I am currently leaning Viola by just 1 percent !
Old 11-23-2017, 04:01 PM
niqui7ladoo
Advanced

I wish i would've clicked "post a poll" with this thread...can't seem to add it, sucks!
Old 11-23-2017, 04:12 PM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

Why do you ask about those two colours only?
​​​​
Old 11-23-2017, 04:14 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Here are a couple pics of Porsches in Viola Metallic that I like a lot. They both have silver wheels and headlights, which I think helps make the color pop for sure.

By contrast, at very bottom are pics of a 991.1 GT3 RS in Viola Metallic with black wheels and headlights. Sure, maybe it looks more "sinister", but the color kind of goes a little dull with all the black trim.

(Note this is not the same color as "Viola Purple Metallic" which is much lighter and flatter looking.)

Old 11-23-2017, 04:20 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Would be nice to post some example pictures. More people may chime in.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:21 PM
niqui7ladoo
Advanced

Originally Posted by 928cs
Why do you ask about those two colours only?
​​​​
honestly, i am scared to ask about any others...since i finally narrowed it down to two options...

i am scared to reopen the can of worms...unless there are some subtle but cool/pop colors that you really love that i may not have considered.

My short list was:

1. dark greens
2. viola metallic
3. viper green
4. signal yellow
5. golf blue/voodoo
Old 11-23-2017, 04:22 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lapis
Here are a couple pics of Porsches in Viola Metallic that I like a lot. They both have silver wheels and headlights, which I think helps make the color pop for sure.

By contrast, at very bottom are pics of a 991.1 GT3 RS in Viola Metallic with black wheels and headlights. Sure, maybe it looks more "sinister", but the color kind of goes a little dull with all the black trim.

(Note this is not the same color as "Viola Purple Metallic" which is much lighter and flatter looking.)

I think satin aluminum would look great, but with black headlights, I'd go platinum on the wheels. Agree is black it too close to the color, but just off.

Quick Reply: Help: Brewster Green v Viola Metallic ??