Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailed Designs Auto Spa's Perpetual 991.2 GT3 Projects Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 12:11 PM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Amazing work.. I love the satin wrap concept but how does the wrap hold up on places like the door handles and leading edges of the more prominent surfaces of everyday abuse. Does the Modesta coating double as a seal for the wrap?
Old 01-02-2018, 12:14 PM
Carrara Design
Former Vendor

Received 364 Likes on 158 Posts

Wow, Agate Grey looks absolutely incredible with the satin finish!
Old 01-02-2018, 12:50 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtrom
Amazing work.. I love the satin wrap concept but how does the wrap hold up on places like the door handles and leading edges of the more prominent surfaces of everyday abuse. Does the Modesta coating double as a seal for the wrap?
The satin PPF will age the same as clear PPF does in that they both age with impacts. But when you have satin PPF, impact marks look different than clear. In both cases, you can see where something hits and it depends on what irritates your eye more you may prefer one over the other. In short, there is not an absolute answer. But as a wear and tear product designed to be the barrier that protects your paint, they both work pretty much as identically as one can perceive.

The Modesta on top of the wrap makes ongoing cleaning easier. It also enhances the gloss on glossy film and the richness on satin PPF.

Originally Posted by NS2 Media
Wow, Agate Grey looks absolutely incredible with the satin finish!
We think it looks "pretty okay". Thanks!
Old 01-03-2018, 12:22 AM
Lava Fire
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you explain why it was necessary to remove the door cards for the ppf install (or was it for a different purpose)?
Old 01-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lava Fire
Can you explain why it was necessary to remove the door cards for the ppf install (or was it for a different purpose)?
The only thing that could have one feel it's necessary is if they wanted to minimize the visible seams. Without removal of the door card, we can't remove the handle nor the mirror. In both cases, it's not possible to leave them in place and not have an unsightly seam which is also kind of a gap in the armor of the film. It's not a problem to leave those 2 items in place if one is either bothered by removal of the door card or they wish to save a few coins on the labor savings. It's up to our client. But if it were my car, that's how I would do it. To date, we've had no wonky noises reported back nor things not working and I am pretty sure I could do it with my eyes closed(though I won't try ).

It's the same with dropping the bumper for wrapping behind the headlights. Some installers like to pull back the fine rubber seal and tuck a small edge of the PPF behind it to limit their need to drop the bumper. I totally understand, both an installer and an owner not wanting the bumper dropped. But for us, we like wrap all the way under and behind a headlamp. My reasoning is that I know how anything consistently rubbing on PPF could manage to work film loose and to wrap a fine edge inside and behind the headlamp seal is to take a risk of it working loose as well as potentially damaging the rubber seal. So we opt to safely and responsibly drop the bumper to remove the headlight. This allows us to not force that rubber seal to lift away(anyone with a 991.2 can go press the rubber seal behind their headlamp to see how much they feel that seal is supposed to be forced open while installed...) and install PPF all the way to the bottom edge of the opening(as pictured below). I personally feel this is the best way to do it. And it's not that I would ever treat a client's budget/money as if it should be just throw around but when you're at this price point, why not spend a little more to have the most beautiful and responsibly installed clear bra wrap possible? Just my .02.

For posterity's sake though. We do have clients who once in a while prefer nothing be removed except for the frunk shield/badge. And for those clients we work to give the tightest tolerances possible around the headlamps, mirrors, handles, etc. But we will not force those seals open to snug a fine edge of PPF into them. As they say, different folks, different strokes.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:41 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

A new challenger arrives!

Long time Rennlister's new GT Silver is getting a truly unique look. A sweet livery wrap plus a full-body satin PPF wrap and Modesta on the wheels. More to come soon!

Old 02-01-2018, 01:04 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
We wrapped up on the Agate Gray Satin PPF wrap project. Hope you all enjoy it. Be sure to follow us on Instagram for regular behind the scenes shots and videos of projects we are working on.

https://youtu.be/QnqTg-XXLnQ
If you want to get up close and personal with this car in-person, I will be taking it to Caffeine and Octane in Atlanta this coming Sunday morning. My client wants miles on it and it's been a long time since I have been able to enjoy the show. Look forward to seeing some of you!
Old 04-19-2018, 11:13 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

We've been a bit busy so it's hard to update but when I have time I will put up some pretty neat stuff. Till then, here are some pics of a couple projects.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:39 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I am not a fan of this stealth/satin wraps to be completely honest but as long as the owners are happy that's what matters looks to be exemplary work as always from you guys
Old 04-20-2018, 12:53 AM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I am not a fan of this stealth/satin wraps to be completely honest but as long as the owners are happy that's what matters looks to be exemplary work as always from you guys
What about matte paint?
Old 04-20-2018, 07:53 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I think pictures don't do justice, it's not something I'd do myself but I've seen some in person and they look real good.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:36 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the stealth look and think these cars look amazing - makes them stand out from the rest.

JC, a question for you - if you get a car wrapped in vinyl to change the color would you advise putting PPF over the top of the wrap to protect the underneath wrap and the car or would the vinyl wrap act as PPF? I'm assuming PPF would be better at protection but is a wrap plus PPF over the top? Thanks,
Old 04-20-2018, 08:42 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
I love the stealth look and think these cars look amazing - makes them stand out from the rest.

JC, a question for you - if you get a car wrapped in vinyl to change the color would you advise putting PPF over the top of the wrap to protect the underneath wrap and the car or would the vinyl wrap act as PPF? I'm assuming PPF would be better at protection but is a wrap plus PPF over the top? Thanks,
It’s PPF, matte finish (satin) instead of clear
Old 04-21-2018, 08:00 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM

It’s PPF, matte finish (satin) instead of clear
I know - I was asking if you get a car wrapped does JC suggest that the vinyl wrap is then covered in PPF to protect the wrap and the car or does the vinyl wrap protect the paint on its own??
Old 04-22-2018, 08:56 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

You do excellent work and don't skimp on materials.

That said, one needs to be very **** about their car to get the full monty.

Quick Reply: Detailed Designs Auto Spa's Perpetual 991.2 GT3 Projects Thread