Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Config - Touring or no-Touring? Can't decide...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 06:53 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Help with Config - Touring or no-Touring? Can't decide...

Hey all... I don't yet have allocation, but on waitlist and they want my config. I am torn so much between Touring and Standard GT3... I always wanted a GT3 Wing car, BUT with the Touring option, being a sleeper and probably a car that I'd own for 10yrs minimum, it's becoming intriguing to say the last. I do track my car, but max 4-5 times a year.

So, what is everyone doing? So far looks like very few Touring, but I am not sure if they have started production on those... Touring is also more restrictive to option out, like you can't do deviated stitching for some stupid reason. Here's my two configs... let me know your thoughts?

PS. I also wanted to do PTS, but holy cow, $12K!!! It used to be like $5.5K! Is it worth it?
PS2. Is there an option to get rid of "Gray" tachometer to make em all black? You can do that on Carrera, but not here? That's why I picked all white for dials.

Standard - more aggressive, red stiching
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJFAL1L8

Touring - More luxurious
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBNE7H4
Old 11-20-2017, 07:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Hey all... I don't yet have allocation, but on waitlist and they want my config. I am torn so much between Touring and Standard GT3... I always wanted a GT3 Wing car, BUT with the Touring option, being a sleeper and probably a car that I'd own for 10yrs minimum, it's becoming intriguing to say the last. I do track my car, but max 4-5 times a year.

So, what is everyone doing? So far looks like very few Touring, but I am not sure if they have started production on those... Touring is also more restrictive to option out, like you can't do deviated stitching for some stupid reason. Here's my two configs... let me know your thoughts?

PS. I also wanted to do PTS, but holy cow, $12K!!! It used to be like $5.5K! Is it worth it?
PS2. Is there an option to get rid of "Gray" tachometer to make em all black? You can do that on Carrera, but not here? That's why I picked all white for dials.

Touring - More luxurious
When has any 911 been "a sleeper" - the absence of the wing is unlikely to "fool" anyone?
Old 11-20-2017, 07:14 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

4-5 track days/yr is moderate to frequent track use. Also sounds like you like the notion of having a GT3 with wing. The wish for deviated stitching implies you like some bling. All point to winged GT3.

Touring or not, it’ll be a great car for the 10yrs you plan to own. Neutral.

No, the GT3 tach dial cannot be ordered in black, unfortunately.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:19 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Your money, your decision.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:26 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76

Touring - More luxurious
Sleep on it, wake up and go with your first thought, you'll love either.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:35 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 0to60
Your money, your decision.
Wish I could see the two side by side...
Old 11-20-2017, 07:48 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It seems to me that to get at THE answer to the question "to wing it or not to wing it," you need to get in touch with yourself and answer the questions - how much praise can I stand, and how much ridicule can I stand?
With wing - your fellow trackers will offer praise, while your fellow highway drivers will point and giggle.
Without wing - your fellow trackers will point and giggle, while your fellow highway drivers will offer praise.
Good luck in your deliberations!.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:57 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

It'll probably be a long wait, so I wouldn't stress out about the decision right now...

I submitted my build sheet a long time before touring option was released (no allocation yet) but am still not 100%.

Hard to pass up the gorgeous wing, but I'm enamored by the idea of the touring, and it's probably the way I'll ultimately go when/if the time comes. Other touring positives for me aside from low profile: lighter trim elements including tailpipes, no stripes/GT3 on seats, and cleaner lines out back as result of missing two large black plastic air scoops.

Like most, I'd be happy either way. I'd think Touring makes more sense if you're going manual transmission route. Just my two cents.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:07 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys... so, they let you change config right until before production? Another question, WTH happened to European delivery?
Old 11-20-2017, 08:25 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My production week is 03/02-03/08, and my build locked few days ago. I wasn’t given any warning that build was going to lock. I made few additional options last week and only by luck did I get them into the build.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:03 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

I'm doing a touring because I was one of those that loved the R so this is as close as I'm going to get. I have an RS and that does track duty 5-8 times a year, if I didn't have it and needed a car that did dual purpose I would probably do with a wing and a PDK. I think the touring is for non-track intensive use and those of us who already have track cars.

I also want so badly to do PTS but I realized trying to do a PTS GTS I don't have the patience to wait an extra 3-6 months so I convinced myself between that and saving $12K I picked GT Silver.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:02 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

The biggest thing for me between touring and wing was that I am not a fan of alcantara. That plus 99% of people will think I am in a “normal” 911 made it an easy decision for me.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:16 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Most stop thinking about the wing shortly after ownership. I've not noticed other drivers really giving a care one way or another, seems to be a bigger issue here than in the world. Most 911s have a wing spoiler of some kind, even Pana's get a sizable retracting wing. I can't see value diverging between the models for a long, long time with the winged manuals staying on top.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:49 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
.... I can't see value diverging between the models for a long, long time with the winged manuals staying on top.
I disagree. If there is just one thing I’ve learned about Porsche values in my relatively short time owning them, it’s that rarity seems to trump all else....

While 991.1 GT3 values dropped from the $150K-$170K range 2 years ago to $115K-$130K today, 50th Anniversary editions, of which “only” 1963 were made, have held steady in the $120K-$130K range. 981 Spyders have held around MSRP with only about 1,000 or fewer delivered to USA. The 991.1 GTS Rennsport Edition, nothing more than a sticker job, is trading over $200K (well over MSRP) just for how few were made. And look at 911R.

My point is, 5-10 years from now, a 991.2 GT3 w/wing will be a great car, but like 991.1, will be a commodity due to the relatively higher number of cars that will have been made and delivered and the fact that it will be another entry in the relatively long line of model years of 991 GT3s. Certainly manual, PTS, well-optioned examples of it will probably do better than run of the mill colors with PDK, sure.

The GT3 Touring has never existed before the 991.2, so it will be more rare for sure, since at least it won’t compete in market with all pre-2018 GT3s. It’s unknown now how many will be delivered, as it will depend on the take rate as well as whether Porsche continues it into future model years, which will depend again on how popular it proves to be of course. Certainly if Touring version isn’t continued beyond 1-2 model years and/or if future 992 version of it is turbo then 991.2 GT3 Touring may end up being very rare and very in demand indeed.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:51 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Between the shorter front splitter and the altered rear diffuser, I'd love to see a review of the Touring to know if the overall aero balance changes from front-to-rear.

Quick Reply: Help with Config - Touring or no-Touring? Can't decide...