Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS value impact on MK1 RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 05:52 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
The 991.1 RS production is like triple the 997.2 3.8 then.

Honestly, I wasn't aware of the connection to the 2015 R. Thanks for pointing that out. If that's true than I think that's great thing for you guys that own one.

You misinterpreted my intent on the comparison of the engine in the 991.1 to the 996. I wasn't referring to the looks of the engine in any way. I was stating that those were the big items that would keep future purchasers from the models.
in today’s world more enthusiasts actually prefer PDK. It makes cars like a GT3/RS less intimidating to a purchaser. Even with hardcore GT3 buyers it’s damn near 50/50. There are fewer average modern enthusiasts interested in an old school 997 GT3 than the 991 GT3.

Everything is relative. 992 GT3/RS likely mid engine maybe turbo too. Doesn’t this make the 991RS the last of the real rear engines “old school” GT3/RSs? Maybe last of the NA to boot. That makes them old school over night and 997s classics.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:06 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

1. Good to know .1RS values will tank. I’ll put mine out for recycling tonight.

2. Huge is a relative term. 1500 unite in U.S. is not a lot of cars. Trust me, there are only roughly 3000 WW. PDK also makes these cars more user friendly and accessible. A lot of people prefer PDK. Sales prove that. Have you been to any WC races this year? Find me a MT race car in the paddock.

3. .1RS engine absolutely has Motorsport connection. It was raced in the 2015 GT3R and used and sold in the 2015 GT3R. I’ve pointed this out many times here. Ran flawlessly too.

4. I didn’t know you had xray vision. When I try to see my RS engine I can’t see chit without bumper removal. Moreover, .2 and .1 RS engine are visually identical.

My garbage man will likely be surprised to see this out for recycle.
The RS won't become worthless, at all, but it won't hold MSRP like previous cars, the 997.1 RS hold it, because it was more reliable than the .2 hold it because the fixes to the problems were found and the car is pretty much the epitome of driving in the Porsche from this century (discussable, but the car is very competent, fun, light (enough), good-looking, extravagant enough and people thought it was the last manual of the GT department).

The 991.2 RS will just be a better RS at every level, mainly reliability, probably power, dynamics, usability. The 991.1 RS will still be baller as hell, but not as relevant as the 997.1 GT3 RS when the 997.2 GT3 RS was showing all the problems.

As for the engine, was it really used? The 2015 991 R used a Mezger engine, the only DFI engine used in CUP, RSR, R cars was this one, the one in the 991.2 GT3. I would like to be proved otherwise, but I was pretty certain that just a couple of cars were using the DFI engine for testing and none were on the Porsche Factory Team, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:07 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The funny part of all of this value talk is the minimal if any hit anyone takes on these gt cars. Realistically i will lose more money on purchasing a $50k daily driver than purchasing a Porsche gt car over 2 to 3 years. That itself there is the value $$$ wise. Basically get a free ride in a f’ing awesome vehicle. Just my 2 cents
Old 11-24-2017, 06:14 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
The RS won't become worthless, at all, but it won't hold MSRP like previous cars, the 997.1 RS hold it, because it was more reliable than the .2 hold it because the fixes to the problems were found and the car is pretty much the epitome of driving in the Porsche from this century (discussable, but the car is very competent, fun, light (enough), good-looking, extravagant enough and people thought it was the last manual of the GT department).

The 991.2 RS will just be a better RS at every level, mainly reliability, probably power, dynamics, usability. The 991.1 RS will still be baller as hell, but not as relevant as the 997.1 GT3 RS when the 997.2 GT3 RS was showing all the problems.

As for the engine, was it really used? The 2015 991 R used a Mezger engine, the only DFI engine used in CUP, RSR, R cars was this one, the one in the 991.2 GT3. I would like to be proved otherwise, but I was pretty certain that just a couple of cars were using the DFI engine for testing and none were on the Porsche Factory Team, but maybe I'm wrong.
.1RS 4.0 is as reliable as an anvil. Has none of the issues .1 GT3 had. Walliser made clear what the issue was with the .1 GT3. Has no connection to .1RS. Point us to one, just one .1RS valve train failure. You will be looking a long time. Doesn’t exist.

Yes, .1 RS 4.0 was run in the ‘15 GT3R. Flawless.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:21 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

The only way the .1 RS loses value is if multiple current .1 RS owners trade in their cars for .2s (if they have an allocation), thereby increasing supply of the .1 RS cars on the market. Given that this scenario is unlikely, (because (1) .1 RS owners don't appear to be itching to dump their cars & (2) .2 RS production while not limited will not be produced in large quantities), I suspect the .1 RS will hold its value just fine with the release of the .2 RS.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:38 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

t).

The 991.2 RS will just be a better RS at every level, mainly reliability, probably power, dynamics, usability.
Totally agree that the .2 RS will be better in every form of the word. Just not sure if better equals an extra 100-150k in cost.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:42 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
The only way the .1 RS loses value is if multiple current .1 RS owners trade in their cars for .2s (if they have an allocation), thereby increasing supply of the .1 RS cars on the market. Given that this scenario is unlikely, (because (1) .1 RS owners don't appear to be itching to dump their cars & (2) .2 RS production while not limited will not be produced in large quantities), I suspect the .1 RS will hold its value just fine with the release of the .2 RS.
While I can't state if for a fact, I would venture that the vast majority of .1 RS owners are in fact itching to dump their cars for the new .2 since it's probably the better vehicle in every way imaginable outside of price and availability.

As to availability; I'm sure Porsche is going to make a ton of them for the US market specifically since AFAIK they can't produce any for Europe starting September 1st.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:55 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Theoretically the .2 RS is to be announced in March. Then likely delivery later in the year- so figure these cars hit a year from now. Are you going to sit on the sidelines for a year not driving either the current .1 RS or the new .2 GT3 hopefully trying to get a .2 RS allocation? Not me. I got my RS. Have a deposit on a GT3 - we will see what happens to the .2 RS when the time comes. till then, no one knows what the prices are going to do. But they aren't tanking. I paid about 12k over MSRP for my .1 RS - Ill probably take a bath when it comes time to sell- I dont care. The last two days of driving were worth every bit the potential bath I take. The car is brilliant and fun.

Live in the now and don't worry about what may or may not come. And even if I can potentially get a .2 rs, 100-150k additional to maybe another 20 horsepower?? No thanks. Im good with the current status quo.
I agree. Buy and enjoy now. I know I willl lose money on my RS some day. It’s okay. That’s not why I bought it. I bought it because it’s a special car.

We dont know what the .2 RS will be so I prefer not to speculate. The same argument could be made that the RS is not worth the additional money over a GT3 .1.200cc and 25 HP and almost double the price.

.1RS values are set up to tank.

It feels like this generation has had more speculation than any non-limited RS models before it setting it up for a bigger crash.

Huge production compared to previous RS models.
This is actually a valid point.

I’d just like to say that you responded to one “ad hominem” attack with a slew of additional attacks. Kind of hypocritical and puerile.

Last edited by Unconscionable; 11-24-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:06 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

997.2 RS is a much better car than 997.1 RS.
And the last Mezger 997 RS manual.
997.2 RS is rarer too.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Love that white! Mine is similar:

right on
price...
dep'n...
will the next one be better...
i have no idea and i dont really care... most of the time i just drive what i got. and wait for my next GT3/RS to arrive. it the price tanks, so be it.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:39 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
right on
price...
dep'n...
will the next one be better...
i have no idea and i dont really care... most of the time i just drive what i got. and wait for my next GT3/RS to arrive. it the price tanks, so be it.

yup. Someone buy this man a beer!!

Spend rhe the next year pontificating on depreciation and resale values while waiting for the next rs to arrive.

or spend the next year actually driving and worry about depreciation and resale whenever the next one comes.

I choose the latter.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:47 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Unconscionable

I’d just like to say that you responded to one “ad hominem” attack with a slew of additional attacks. Kind of hypocritical and puerile.
Honestly, you're venturing into someone else's debate and claiming I acted puerile when you clearly don't even understand the definition of "ad hominem" if you're telling me that what I did was hypocritical.

...at no point did I attack him to order to attempt to invalidate his argument because in case you failed to notice - he never had one.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:51 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

yup. Someone buy this man a beer!!

Spend rhe the next year pontificating on depreciation and resale values while waiting for the next rs to arrive.

or spend the next year actually driving and worry about depreciation and resale whenever the next one comes.

I choose the latter.
Yet here you are; in a thread about values throwing insults at everyone else and what they can and can't afford. Did the title to this thread confuse you and you made a wrong turn into here or what?
Old 11-24-2017, 07:56 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Yet here you are; in a thread about values throwing insults at everyone else and what they can and can't afford. Did the title to this thread confuse you and you made a wrong turn into here or what?

thank you for your thoughtful insight. It’s greatly appreciated.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:56 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, you're venturing into someone else's debate and claiming I acted puerile when you clearly don't even understand the definition of "ad hominem" if you're telling me that what I did was hypocritical.

...at no point did I attack him to order to attempt to invalidate his argument because in case you failed to notice - he never had one.
Let’s do this. I’m in the mood to win an online argument.

Where to start... first off, your debate is on a PUBLIC forum and therefore is fair game for anyone to comment on.

Secondly, I did not use the term ad hominem. I quoted you and your use of it which, ironically, actually WAS incorrect. I said you responded with attacks which you totally did. Your hypocrisy was attacking someone (multiple times) that attacked you. Being ad hominem or not does not negate that hypocrisy. Shall we continue? lol

You actually attacked him several times like when you implied he’s a red-headed stepchild... Case closed.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS value impact on MK1 RS