Sponsored by:

Reduced Touring Package Options on US Configurator

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 06:01 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Reduced Touring Package Options on US Configurator

I was playing around with the configurator and noticed that a couple of options weren't available on the US configurator with the Touring Package selected:

> PORSCHE logo painted
> Interior Trim Package with Decorative Stitching and Embroidery in Deviated Thread (only red stitching as available as per one of the standard options)

Has anyone noticed any others?
Old 11-21-2017, 01:53 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
I was playing around with the configurator and noticed that a couple of options weren't available on the US configurator with the Touring Package selected:

> PORSCHE logo painted
> Interior Trim Package with Decorative Stitching and Embroidery in Deviated Thread (only red stitching as available as per one of the standard options)

Has anyone noticed any others?
Rear spoiler and air ducts. Sorry couldn't resist
Old 11-21-2017, 07:11 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by motorwerksgroup
Rear spoiler and air ducts. Sorry couldn't resist
LOL! No, those are real things, too Though I guess those are exchanged for cleaner lines...

I do wonder why the '4.0' symbol from the side of the rear wing didn't get moved to the silver badge on the Touring grille.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:36 AM
spydersmiley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Immediately after availability of the Touring, all Alcantara options were incompatible with the Touring. This has been changed a few weeks ago, and you now can opt for Alcantara sunvisors at least.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:03 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spydersmiley
Immediately after availability of the Touring, all Alcantara options were incompatible with the Touring. This has been changed a few weeks ago, and you now can opt for Alcantara sunvisors at least.
That's interesting... I guess they're still working through the various options?

The black trim that's offered on the Touring (darker than anthracite)... is that black painted brushed aluminum?
Old 11-21-2017, 10:12 AM
spydersmiley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
That's interesting... I guess they're still working through the various options?

The black trim that's offered on the Touring (darker than anthracite)... is that black painted brushed aluminum?
That's how it looks like. And you can see that Alcantara sunvisors may actually make sense!
Old 11-21-2017, 10:23 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Touring has black brushed aluminum interior trim that’s darker than anthracite brushed aluminum. It’s similar if not identical to the black brushed aluminum offered on the 991.1 GTS.

Touring also comes standard with darker (anthracite it appears) door sill guards instead of the standard bright aluminum. I confirmed this with Porsche Exclusive in Atlanta’s.

You can’t have PORSCHE logo painted on Touring. Having it in chrome (standard Touring) or black (Touring with black trim) is part of the whole Touring Package.

You can’t have deviated interior stitching on Touring, outside of opting for lots of expensive CXX custom tailoring for all the affected areas. The black stitching is part of the Touring Package. But you can opt for red stitching as an option in the configurator just like with winged GT3.

Whole point of Touring Package is to have a less extroverted GT3, so it makes sense that many of the more shouty look at me exterior and interior options are incompatible.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:29 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lapis
Touring has black brushed aluminum interior trim that’s darker than anthracite brushed aluminum. It’s similar if not identical to the black brushed aluminum offered on the 991.1 GTS.

Touring also comes standard with darker (anthracite it appears) door sill guards instead of the standard bright aluminum. I confirmed this with Porsche Exclusive in Atlanta’s.

You can’t have PORSCHE logo painted on Touring. Having it in chrome (standard Touring) or black (Touring with black trim) is part of the whole Touring Package.

You can’t have deviated interior stitching on Touring, outside of opting for lots of expensive CXX custom tailoring for all the affected areas. The black stitching is part of the Touring Package. But you can opt for red stitching as an option in the configurator just like with winged GT3.

Whole point of Touring Package is to have a less extroverted GT3, so it makes sense that many of the more shouty look at me exterior and interior options are incompatible.
Great info, Lapis (and really useful interior shot, spydersmiley).

It makes sense - sort of. It's weird how they determined which options made sense for that type of car, vs. letting the owner choose (given that they'll let you order a Panamera Executive in Pink Shoe).

It almost seems like they're trying to keep a little visual distance from the R. Oh well, not sure my build will work on the Touring, which is a little sad.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:53 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Pink shoe still not available
Old 11-21-2017, 11:54 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Irish Andy-

The touring package itself is an option package...like the Premium Package Plus. You have less options because the whole thing is a package.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:00 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Irish Andy-

The touring package itself is an option package...like the Premium Package Plus. You have less options because the whole thing is a package.
Well, there goes my Pink Shoe limo idea...

Yeah, the 'package' concept makes sense, but it's still odd (with the world of CXX) that they don't let you tweak it.

I wanted a custom steering wheel, and they'd manufacture it with one steering wheel, make the second steering wheel, and then swap them out post manufacture. Some things are very flexible, while others aren't. The magic of Porsche.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes there is definitely some 911 R protection... Porsche Exclusive this spring first though that PAG wouldn’t allow factory installed 911 R style top stripes on 991.2 GT3, then yes. So Porsche Exclusive put in a few orders with those spec’d (which is CXX) but before any were actually produced late this summer, PAG reversed course and said absolutely not, and Porsche Exclusive has to call several disappointed customers who spec’d them and whose orders had already locked.

Apparently Porsche WILL allow CXX custom tailored LWB seats with houndstooth inserts to match 911 R, but absolutely WON’T allow selection of the same brown leather color optional on those same seats on the 911 R (even though the CXX custom tailored seat option at $8750 USD is supposed to let you pick any available leather color you want), which again they must consider a signature visual attribute of the 911 R that they don’t want to see people try to ape on a GT3.

Other 911 R cosmetics not available to order on 991.2 GT3 regardless of CXX or price: retro style instrument dials with green illuminated number markers (which were also on the 50th Anniversary 911, by the way).
Old 11-21-2017, 12:43 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lapis
Yes there is definitely some 911 R protection... Porsche Exclusive this spring first though that PAG wouldn’t allow factory installed 911 R style top stripes on 991.2 GT3, then yes. So Porsche Exclusive put in a few orders with those spec’d (which is CXX) but before any were actually produced late this summer, PAG reversed course and said absolutely not, and Porsche Exclusive has to call several disappointed customers who spec’d them and whose orders had already locked.

Apparently Porsche WILL allow CXX custom tailored LWB seats with houndstooth inserts to match 911 R, but absolutely WON’T allow selection of the same brown leather color optional on those same seats on the 911 R (even though the CXX custom tailored seat option at $8750 USD is supposed to let you pick any available leather color you want), which again they must consider a signature visual attribute of the 911 R that they don’t want to see people try to ape on a GT3.

Other 911 R cosmetics not available to order on 991.2 GT3 regardless of CXX or price: retro style instrument dials with green illuminated number markers (which were also on the 50th Anniversary 911, by the way).
Great points!

You did have to bring up those retro dials... I'd buy a 50th for those dials alone...
Old 11-29-2017, 01:45 AM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

No carbon fiber gear shift either
Old 11-29-2017, 02:34 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by JUPJAI
No carbon fiber gear shift either
I spec'd a carbon fiber manual shifter (similar to that on the 911R) on my .2 GT3 via CXX.

Quick Reply: Reduced Touring Package Options on US Configurator