Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1035370-best-exhaust-for-a-991-2-gt3.html)

BrntRubber 11-18-2017 11:04 AM

Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3

Hi All,

For those of you with a 991.2 GT3, does it need an exhaust to really sing and scream. I want this beauty to take on my old Ferrari 458 in a singing contest?

What is considered the best LOUD exhaust that has a valve option to go nice an quiet to not make neighbors want to kill you?

Read some positive things on Dundon, but am not nearly well enough informed.

It would be amazing to get the opinions of people that have heard multiple exhausts on the car.

For what it's worth I am in the UK.
Thanks

drdonger 11-18-2017 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by BrntRubber (Post 14612908)
Hi All,

For those of you with a 991.2 GT3, does it need an exhaust to really sing and scream. I want this beauty to take on my old Ferrari 458 in a singing contest?

What is considered the best LOUD exhaust that has a valve option to go nice an quiet to not make neighbors want to kill you?

Thanks

Only IPE will give you the Ferrari sound but eveyone on the forum hates them. Quality is questionable.

BrntRubber 11-18-2017 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by drdonger (Post 14612910)
Only IPE will give you the Ferrari sound but eveyone on the forum hates them. Quality is questionable.

That's not good news. Quality is important

Icutyou 11-18-2017 11:42 AM

Hi All,

It would be amazing to get the opinions of people that have heard multiple exhausts on the car.

Thanks

We are on the same wavelength. I was doing lots of searching on this topic this morning.

Seems like GMG, Sharkwerks, RSS are some of the more common choices

Great video comparison without fancy editing and techno music which I appreciate.

Akrapovic seems like a more expensive option with excellent build quality.

Lastly to answer if it NEEDS an exhaust. No, I don't think it does. That's with me trying my best to keep it under 4K rpm while its running in.
I still find myself looking because the sound I have I want MORE of lol. But I told myself I would wait until I could open it up before I make a purchase.
One thing I DON'T want is for the exhuast to overpower the metallic clanking at idle. Call me crazy but I love that sound!

Dougr743 11-18-2017 11:47 AM

akrapovic makes great stuff, had many systems on my race bikes, but never seen it on a car. I am curious to what exhaust as well. Looks like GMG is solid, and I want to know if the header/ center bypass still can retain the valves

CAlexio 11-18-2017 11:55 AM

Make sure you specify what kind of exhaust, just with the brands already mentioned you’re comparing apples to oranges.

GMG & Sharkwerks is center bypass
Dundon & Akrapovik & Fabspeed are full Exhausts all the way back to the engine with either sport or race headers.

Totally different systems, some just for sound, some allowing the switchable button, some not requiring ecu changes while others will throw a cell. Quite a few threads on here outlining all of this.

For what it’s worth, I’ve driven one with gmg center bypass and it sounded glorious, many have sharkwerks bypass and also love it. Dundon adds power and seems to be the preferred full exhaust. Lots of info on the forum to research. Good luck.

Dougr743 11-18-2017 12:05 PM

GMG makes a long tube header.

RennOracle 11-18-2017 12:24 PM

Dundon headers, why didn't anyone mentioned it? Better quality than anything that was mentioned, makes power, what's the question here?

drdonger 11-18-2017 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by BrntRubber (Post 14612927)
That's not good news. Quality is important

They seem to have a good reputation outside of the states. I'm not sure if it is because there are so many other manufacturers in the US. IPE is definitely the best sounding, hands down. If you type 991 GT3 exhaust on youtube, most videos will be IPE. It has a valve option too unlike bypass'.

Can't get anymore Ferrari sounding than this.

Golden Boy 11-18-2017 01:14 PM

Akrapovic hands down the best exhaust available.

vodavoda 11-18-2017 01:17 PM

Hi All,

I want this beauty to take on my old Ferrari 458 in a singing contest?

Ummm....sorry.... but that's just not going to happen. Now if you had said Ferrari 488, well that would be a different story.

GT3 11-18-2017 01:41 PM

I had an Akrapovic Evolution Race on my 2010 GT3. Great quality and weight savings, and great gains too. Not too loud, but just right. I will get it again for my 991.2 GT3.

JFA65 11-18-2017 01:55 PM

SharkWerks on my last two and now on my .2 GT3. Great quality and support. Unobtrusive sound till heavy into throttle then screams. Stealthy if button is off and warmed up till 4000+ rpms. Minimal if any drone. Can’t compare to others as I only have experience with them but it is my third..

Jimmy-D 11-18-2017 02:01 PM

There are Bypasses, Exhausts,

For exhaust, only, FVD would be my choice. Have had their exhausts on several Porsches including my GT4 I just traded but Exhaust was sold to a lucky Rennlister

For a Rear Bypass there are several choices previously mentioned and you will not go wrong with either

I will tell you that the .2 GT3 is loud as heck. I just brought mine home yesterday afternoon and I have an RSS X-pipe bypass on mine. No way I would want some thing louder and I am a person who loves loud exhausts as long they still sound good

I do not think one will need anything more than a Rear bypass on these cars. No way would I need the car to be faster so Headers would not be my route like it was on my GT4

WheelsB 11-18-2017 03:02 PM

Hi All,

Thanks

If you want your GT3 sounding as close as possible to your previous 458 then there's nobody that touches iPE. Here is my customer in Brazil running it on his GT3RS -
and here is my local customer with the GT3 -

I have not had any customers complaining about the quality of this product. The performance gains and increase in quality sound puts iPE near or at the top of my customer's lists.

If quality is the number one objective then Akrapovic comes into play. They have hands down the best products from a quality standpoint but their sounds are a bit subdued and many say not a big enough increase over factory sounds -

Feel free to call or email me directly for more information on both of these premium systems - 786 249 0127 ext. 2109 // David@WheelsBoutique.com