Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 09:57 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Debated this at length. Went with Akrapovic centre bypass and side link pipes. Sitting in my basement for March install. Looking forward to hearing this setup. They weigh nothing, in fact I should open the boxes to make sure it's all there!

Was comparing with Dundon and this setup was a tad cheaper than the Dundon I was looking at.

I didn't think just a centre bypass would be good enough, sound wise.

Unfortunate bit about all this is the lack of opportunity to hear the setups in person.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:54 PM
horns
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Dundon race going on next week. Had them on my GT4 and was very happy.👍👍
Why did you go with the race over the street? For your priorities, are there any compromises you feel you're accepting by going with the race? I want the race for a .2 (I know the circumstances are a little different from a .1), but I need to make sure a CEL isn't going to be a frequent issue.

Anyone in the DFW area with dundon street or race headers I could experience (not looking to drive the car)? If so, please PM me. Thanks
Old 12-25-2018, 01:00 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
The frequency the upper path of the muffler is canceling is the 2000-3000rpm region that resonates (drones) in the cabin (100-120hz). There's a reason the factory (and other manufacturers) use the valves to kill this issue and the center muffler has an upper and lower path. You will have booming/drone without the valves...
Originally Posted by Buteo
Patiently waiting on the jcr system similar to the race (side delete+center delete) with a valved silenced option.

Just so my neighbors don’t hate me toooo much.
i am waiting to hear this also.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:26 AM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

At this point, I am thinking side muffler and center section replacement. Eagerly awaiting the JCR silenced race pipe system. I'll probably go with this. If not, maybe dundon catback...

No interest in replacing headers.

Akrapovic too much dinero for me.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:00 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyGT3
At this point, I am thinking side muffler and center section replacement. Eagerly awaiting the JCR silenced race pipe system. I'll probably go with this. If not, maybe dundon catback...

No interest in replacing headers.

Akrapovic too much dinero for me.
All manufacters kept price high despite the 991 GT3 are now 6x the 997 market
that s why so many brands , all in all the price for (most cases) a couple of welded pipes is no more justified so expect more and more brands, the margins are veery interesting,

anyhow in respect of their customers
they should at least publish

-dB AND frequencies (Hz) readings inside / outside at multiple rpm values
-hp torque gain if any from 2/3 indipendent dynos
-adjective to describe it i.e. bassy. low pitch etc. rather than marketing smoke
-detailed installation video (without music...)

forget the youtube, the sound in person is totally different as the digital records filters very low and very high frequencies and buyers rarely tell you they spent 5k or more on a wrong setup ( prefer to re sell it)

Last edited by fxz; 12-25-2018 at 03:43 AM.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:27 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

fxz, I agree...for the cost of these exhausts I hope manufactures will start to provide dyne's and more info.

Whats funny is the exhausts...after market performances exhausts with stainless pipes and mufflers that are a lot longer, more material used, bigger mufflers on some domestic performance cars that cost half of what the aftermarket Porsche exhausts are costing.

headers for a 350 Shelby Mustang...8cyl, long tube...way more 304l stainless pipe used are around $1500...long tube headers for a GT3 is $5000 plus

Its been this way forever...P car tax..

$83 2’ of 2.5” .039 wall for titanium tubing from ticon industry
$31 2’ of 2.5” .049 wall for 304l stainless tubing stainless works

Last edited by mdrums; 12-25-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:01 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

The most important sound on any forum is buzz. The attention focus of the moment. Like a buzzing bee it goes from one hot item of the moment to the next.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:17 PM
GRPerformance
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 55 Posts

With thousands of miles on our bypass, having driven full headers with no side mufflers but an OE rear muffler and others, i really believe the center bypass is the best bang for the buck when it comes to achieving great noise all while keeping the valves.

If anyone is willing to give a GRP bypass a shot, it’s Christmas, so I’ll extend a special discount to get out and give it a shot! DM me if you want!

Old 12-25-2018, 01:27 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
fxz, I agree...for the cost of these exhausts I hope manufactures will start to provide dyne's and more info.

Whats funny is the exhausts...after market performances exhausts with stainless pipes and mufflers that are a lot longer, more material used, bigger mufflers on some domestic performance cars that cost half of what the aftermarket Porsche exhausts are costing.

headers for a 350 Shelby Mustang...8cyl, long tube...way more 304l stainless pipe used are around $1500...long tube headers for a GT3 is $5000 plus

Its been this way forever...P car tax..

$83 2’ of 2.5” .039 wall for titanium tubing from ticon industry
$31 2’ of 2.5” .049 wall for 304l stainless tubing stainless works

All true. I had heard from the owner of a performance shop that titanium prices had fallen recently.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:40 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by GRPerformance
With thousands of miles on our bypass, having driven full headers with no side mufflers but an OE rear muffler and others, i really believe the center bypass is the best bang for the buck when it comes to achieving great noise all while keeping the valves.

If anyone is willing to give a GRP bypass a shot, it’s Christmas, so I’ll extend a special discount to get out and give it a shot! DM me if you want!

I have had GRP exhaust on my 991.1 RS, 991.2 GT3. They sounded fantastic. Much louder growl at lower RPMs. I don't have it on my new 3 RS yet and its very noticeable, even my friends ask me why my new car is so much quieter! Without a doubt worth the money. Plus everyone at GRP is so great to work with.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:28 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
All true. I had heard from the owner of a performance shop that titanium prices had fallen recently.

buying the metal is the easy part. Forming and welding especially on the titanium is the the hard part. Comparing market for mustang to porsche is wrong as well in my opinion. Gt porsche to mustang. Probably some ridiculous ratio of 1000 mustangs sold for every 1 porsche gt car if not higher. Mass production vs specialty. Someone needs to pay for this.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:34 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Golden Boy

buying the metal is the easy part. Forming and welding especially on the titanium is the the hard part. Comparing market for mustang to porsche is wrong as well in my opinion. Gt porsche to mustang. Probably some ridiculous ratio of 1000 mustangs sold for every 1 porsche gt car if not higher. Mass production vs specialty. Someone needs to pay for this.
Just paying for paying? The price would be justified if 1 of 1 produced and if less reluctant in telling dB, Hz and dyno figures,
but with over 20k GT 997 991.1 and .2 around , Porsche is not a specialty anymore nor price is justified

Last edited by fxz; 12-25-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:36 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
Just paying for paying? The price would be justified if 1 of 1 produced and if less reluctant in telling dB, Hz and dyno figures,
but with over 20k GT 997 991.1 and .2 around , Porsche is not a specialty anymore nor price is justified

i was referencing the cost of material statement. 20k cars is not much over so many years. Plus how many actually change exhaust? Its a tiny market.

For refernce in 2017 there was 126,000 mustangs sold

i understand the Need for dyno figures,db etc

My purchase was based on sound, weight, and build quality

but will go ahead and put in a formal request with akra and see what they respond with and let everyone know.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:40 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Golden Boy

i was referencing the cost of material statement. 20k cars is not much over so many years. Plus how many actually change exhaust? Its a tiny market.

For refernce in 2017 there was 126,000 mustangs sold

i understand the Need for dyno figures,db etc

My purchase was based on sound, weight, and build quality

but will go ahead and put in a formal request with akra and see what they respond with and let everyone know.
agree with you golden boy, we do pay a porsche premium, and like you said, its less about the fact that its porsche and more about the number of available customers/cars.

Akra makes an impressive looking product. But, for performance, Dundon is hard to beat. That assumes that a person is looking for proven gains in power. If sound and looks are the goal, then Akra probably has the market there.

Last edited by 911therapy; 12-25-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:26 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Has anyone installed a sport cup from Akra yet ?

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3