Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 11:46 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Also, titanium doesn't always sound bad. Akra does okay with it. I just think stainless sounds better in pretty much every application.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:09 AM
Shrevehorn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread, lots of info. Trying to make a decision for my 3 week old 991.2 GT3.

Sort of fun really.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:20 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,387 Likes on 720 Posts

I tested a bunch of iterations with FVD Brombacher. Their manufacturer M&M made 3 different iterations to try, but they all failed. They really didn't test anything, they just made it based on their 997 experience. I had eventually settle on the GMG with the valves disconnected. Many thought the car would lose low end power without the valves. I tested and retested on the dyno and proved the valves actually caused us to lose low end power. I came to the conclusion the valves are simply there for drone reduction.

Do not disagree- When i had my .1 GT3 I was not excited about the FVD side deletes nor Rear bypass and I had a couple exhausts from them with previous Porsches and they were great.They never seemed to even market them that much.

But -they did have a great set up for the GT4 w/ LT headers and Valveless Sport exhaust where to this day; i have not heard a better set upon a GT4 with Catts. There is now some one in IL with this set-up on his Spyder and i can bet you he is grinning ear to ear every day
Old 12-02-2017, 12:38 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
iPE is super shady. They have ruined it for a lot of people by making fake profiles and sharing douchey videos on here and 6 speed. I think I know why they don't ever have any tests of their exhaust. The people that buy them don't care and it most likely loses power. If I had bought one, I certainly would have tested it. But... like other have stated, it's not like the car needs more power, but I'd rather not spend $5000 and lose a bunch. I said earlier, the resources they now have will hopefully move them to invest in real engineering in Taiwan.
The full system may lose some power because of a poor design but I don’t see how any catback will cause a loss in power. All these catback exhaust probably gain 5hp at most but they definitely don’t lose anything. They all increase flow and drop weight.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:51 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Alright...I guess I'll chime in here as I had 12 different variants of exhausts on my 991.1 GT3. When I first got my car, the iPE was the only option outside of two bypasses, GMG and Sharkwerks. I came from a 991.1 C2S that didn't have to goofy valve transition that the GT3 has. I wanted to press the button and have the valves open. Press it again and have them close. Or...even better, just get rid of the valves all together. After spending a little time discussing iPE and then seeing and inspecting it in person, I came to the conclusion that it is not good. FI, Armytrix, iPE are all in the same marketing company category (aka junk). In the 3 1/2 years the thing has been out, I've yet to see a single dyno plot outside of their original site showing a 40whp loss in the lower RPM range. If you gave me one, I wouldn't take it. Zero testing, all marketing. YouTube is a powerful thing. We can only hope the success of these brands will lead to make some legitimate products in the future.

Akra is a work of art, but doesn't do much. The full Akra Evolution system is a really expensive, $11,000, copy of the stock exhaust, so that doesn't make much sense to me. I've spent about 5 hours on backroads behind the wheel of and Akra equipped car. No power, slightly lighter weight, very slight difference in sound, and a crap load of money is not for me. You could do the race version deleting the side mufflers, but that drones a crap load.

The bypasses, Sharkwerks, RSS, GMG, etc. with or without the valves connected are a solid option. ***You must remember that pressing the valve button doesn't do much other than closing the valves at idle.*** On or off it operates identically once you press the gas. That's the advantage of iPE with the remote option. You have the ability to open the valves and leave them open. Other exhausts don't have that option. Stock, with the button on, the valves close again and then reopen depending on throttle around 3700 RPMs.

I tested a bunch of iterations with FVD Brombacher. Their manufacturer M&M made 3 different iterations to try, but they all failed. They really didn't test anything, they just made it based on their 997 experience. I had eventually settle on the GMG with the valves disconnected. Many thought the car would lose low end power without the valves. I tested and retested on the dyno and proved the valves actually caused us to lose low end power. I came to the conclusion the valves are simply there for drone reduction.

So onto the most viable solution in my book, Dundon. I had a 2 hour conversation with Charles Dundon (he's a mad scientist) that I didn't want to have. I was on my 11th exhaust variant at that point and had finally settled on GMG bypass. I took a flyer on the very expensive option due to one simple fact. They had done hundreds (yes...hundreds) of dyno runs and massive calculating/testing that no one else had done and probably still hasn't. Dundon uses T321 stainless instead of much cheaper T304. Race headers are catless, so I wouldn't do that if I lived in an emissions testing state, but I made +55whp without tune and a little over +70whp with it. The plots they use are a bit conservative in comparison to my findings. My 2014 E series engine equipped car walked away from a '16 F series GT3RS. Due to their O2 sensor extension design, you don't need a tune. I won't be doing a tune on my RS as I find it unnessary. Catted will make less power, but save you headaches if you have to have your car inspected or don't like your car to smell.

So GMG bypass for cost and simplicity.
Or Dundon if you want the best.

Anyway, that's my 100 or so hours of trial and error testing process in my pursuit in finding the best exhaust. My newly acquired RS is awaiting new Dundon center section in order to install the full exhaust at once.
Matt,

Thank you for chiming in and sharing your knowledge. It is very helpful! This is what makes Rennlist so great!
Old 12-02-2017, 01:44 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
Has anyone verified the claimed performance gains from the IPE website?
There are a few videos on YouTube of customers who purchased the iPE system and ran their cars on independent dynos. Here's one from Bahrain -

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 12-02-2017, 02:16 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Great explanation mAtt, so is there value to buying the catted Dundon version?.. it seems that you are ok with race headers/no cats bc of where you live, but if we are in an emissions state, just go bypass?
Old 12-02-2017, 02:27 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Great explanation mAtt, so is there value to buying the catted Dundon version?.. it seems that you are ok with race headers/no cats bc of where you live, but if we are in an emissions state, just go bypass?

depending on what state and who you know you can get past emissions. Where i am they no longer let you renew registration without an emissions inspection. I now am having to turn in plates every two years and get a new plate/registration with a temp inspection. Then i can get a non vin matching inspection and place on the cars with non catted race exhaust. Tinted windows is another reason why i jump through hoops as they are considered an automatic inspection fail where i am.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:46 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

In today’s world, why would anyone go catless unless it’s track use only. DD without cats is not only unnecessary but irresponsible.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:34 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I think so. You still gain a bit, and it sounds much better. The other thing nice about the Dundon system is the valve transitions are quite a bit smoother audibly.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:38 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by 0to60
In today’s world, why would anyone go catless unless it’s track use only. DD without cats is not only unnecessary but irresponsible.
Based on that logic, I would pose driving a GT3 at all would be irresponsible. Removing the cats and improving efficiency, in trade-off, would offset the increased emissions. At least that's how I sleep at night.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:50 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by WheelsB
There are a few videos on YouTube of customers who purchased the iPE system and ran their cars on independent dynos. Here's one from Bahrain - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VMP9LHqDVo
Great to see an independent dyno. I would love to see a dyno with just the rear catback too. Any issues with the 200 cell cats burning out under heavy track use? I've been told its better to go catless or factor cats if you track a lot.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:35 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Based on that logic, I would pose driving a GT3 at all would be irresponsible. Removing the cats and improving efficiency, in trade-off, would offset the increased emissions. At least that's how I sleep at night.
I am far from an environmental nut, but your logic is flawed. Yes the GT3 gets terrible gas mileage but emission wise it’s the same as every other gas operated car. Removing the Cats puts poisons in the air that need not be with a cated system. We/our families have no choice to breath the air.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:29 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

We/our families have no choice to breath the air.
Don't worry. I'm doing my part to make up for Matt's car and mine. I have no kids. My carbon footprint stops with me. It won't continue to spread.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:49 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60

because race car
its ok. My neighbor has a prius

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3