Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 10:19 AM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 35 Posts

For what it’s worth, I have not noticed any drone up to 5,000 rpm with the Akrapovic full race exhaust installed on my .2 GT3. Maybe I’m just not that sensitive. Or maybe the sheer volume (which there is a lot of) drowns out the drone? Not sure that even makes sense.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:29 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I may be the minority, but I'm over loud cars

The stock exhaust sounds great at full tilt
Somewhat agree ... but how do we get sound out of the car from 1500 -4500 rpms until the valves open is the question .... disconnecting valves OEM Center is bad drone ... how bad is drone w a Sharkwerks and valves disconnected to give linear sound all through the rev range ? Any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 01-05-2019, 10:51 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman
Somewhat agree ... but how do we get sound out of the car from 1500 -4500 rpms until the valves open is the question .... disconnecting valves OEM Center is bad drone ... how bad is drone w a Sharkwerks and valves disconnected to give linear sound all through the rev range ? Any help would be appreciated thanks
These are exactly my concerns and questions... Please help
Old 01-05-2019, 11:03 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I just installed yesterday Soul Side By Pass Pipes.....it was raining and car is detailed so I haven’t driven it yet...just started in the garage to check for any leaks rattles.

The Soul pipes went on perfectly...very well designed and built. Soul,is very active here and John at Soul has been great so I bought Soul. Getting ready to go for a drive today.

in the coming days I’m going to take a video with a better microphone than the iPhone videos out there.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:14 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdrums
I just installed yesterday Soul Side By Pass Pipes.....it was raining and car is detailed so I haven’t driven it yet...just started in the garage to check for any leaks rattles.

The Soul pipes went on perfectly...very well designed and built. Soul,is very active here and John at Soul has been great so I bought Soul. Getting ready to go for a drive today.

in the coming days I’m going to take a video with a better microphone than the iPhone videos out there.
Thank you ... Soul seems solid option and fair pricing ... what made you chose a side delete over a center option? Much appreciated
Old 01-05-2019, 11:55 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Great to see JCR products and positive feedback ... considering valved side bypasses ... what major difference would rationalize double cost difference between Soul Performance product and JCR as the bypasses are already very light so the titanium while nice and slightly better should not be the whole story ... can someone explain why approx $1500 more in price? Do most valved side bypasses sound the same? Does transition from open closed open as pronounced as a center bypass? Can the extra 25 lbs weight savings vs Center bypass be felt with street use? Appreciate any advice or feedback tks
Cost of raw materials, labor, overhead, etc. Oh, and the Euro currency.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:01 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I have a GRP Bypass with valves disconnecred. Love it. Could not handle the transition between opening and closing. That is the woirst experience. Slight drone between 2000- 2500 and that is it but very tolerable but 20 times better than the transitiin.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:18 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by krell
Cost of raw materials, labor, overhead, etc. Oh, and the Euro currency.
Thank you, yes understand their costs that need to be passed along for quality but can someone tell me the $1500 difference in significant benefits to end users? Do they function and sound the same or is their a significant difference behind the wheel on the road ... appreciate the comments tks
Old 01-05-2019, 01:37 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Looks like a Side valved delete Vs Center delete,
in both cases you get rid of 2 silencers( the side or the central ones)
in terms of weight and heat saving is much better the side delete, combined with a Li battery it s a 2k cost shaving 65lbs, not bad, another 40 lbs from PCCBs for 10k
and so on LWBS for 5k etc.
at the end along audio and AC delete is the cheapest way to control the weight and get a better sound (when valves are closed you will have the 2 remaing silencers instead of 4 in the factory setup)
Old 01-05-2019, 01:49 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Thank you, yes understand their costs that need to be passed along for quality but can someone tell me the $1500 difference in significant benefits to end users? Do they function and sound the same or is their a significant difference behind the wheel on the road ... appreciate the comments tks
Titanium will be lighter and have a different tonal quality. I think people find it sounds a bit more tinny (pardon the description) as if you turned the tone or treble control up on your stereo. Function is the same.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:27 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Finally got to drive a little tonight....after a lengthy oil change fiasco....I am extremely happy with my Soul Side Muffler Delete mod. 1st my rear tire temps are running 2psi lower...cooler....with out the heavy side mufflers.

There is ZERO drone at any rpm.....sounds awesome above 5k rpm and when your winding it out....GT3 Cup car like but not annoying loud in the car...just a great sound. Putting through the neighborhood or around town u dear 3500rpm and it’s near stock sound

i will work on getting a good video with a good microphone soon...need to enlist the wife’s help with recording but she doesn’t like to do this type of stuff so it gonna cost me dearly.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:33 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Thank you ... Soul seems solid option and fair pricing ... what made you chose a side delete over a center option? Much appreciated
Id rather do side muffler delete than center delete because I want to take the hot side mufflers off to help keep rear tires cooler and reduce weight. Plus side muffler delete is closer to a Cup car...not RSR...but Cup with just headers-cats and center muffler.

Also the transition from valves closed to when they they open around 3800rpm is smoother...the car just sound better to me with side muffler delete over center muffler delete and seeing how Porsche does the Cup cars I believe that if they didn’t have the euro noise laws the cars would come with just header-cats and a center muffler.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:35 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Do most people go with valved side delete or non-valved? Is there even a point to valved side-delete?
Old 01-05-2019, 09:39 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Do most people go with valved side delete or non-valved? Is there even a point to valved side-delete?
Valved, but not so much for decibel reduction, but moreso to reduce or eliminate drone.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:48 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

given on factory setup there are 4 silencers , 2 central and 1 left 1 right (side) working all together only below 4krpms and none of the 4 above 4k rpm

given on factory setup the valves open over 4rpms providing a straight pipe from the cats to the tail pipes excluding the 4 silencers

-Cup cars don t have valves
-Even the stock factory setup over 4krpm when valves are open we can say do not (despite few gasses passing by) use the 4 silencers

difference from stock to side valved delete is heat plus weight benefits and an improved sound below 4krpms where stock is boring

center delete do not save so much weight nor the tires heat and below 4k rpm is quieter because side silencers are more restrictive than center ones

indeed in any setup there s a sound change even above 4k rpm due different tubing and layout in any setup any brand , this is about personal preferences and all in all the factory setup above 4krpms sounds already glorious

pay attention and ask your brand the cabin decibels at different rpms, cup/rsr cars drivers use earplugs for a reason not because they feel cold

unless you are ( already ) deaf the not valved side delete does not make sense due 2/3k rpm drones (more in a single pipe layout)

Last edited by fxz; 01-06-2019 at 03:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3