Sponsored by:

Leipzig Track Hot Lap during Euro Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 10:59 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Leipzig Track Hot Lap during Euro Delivery

Finally getting some time to upload the vids from our European Delivery trip last week.

Here's a lap during the 45 minute session on the test track in the GT3.

Porsche was great, allowing not only a half hour for me on the track, but 15 minutes for my wife to get some track time as well.

It unfortunately had rained the entire day/night before, and we were first out on track (9:30am) so there were some 'streams' and damp areas on the track, but was still a complete blast!

My car is expected to be stateside by 12/22!

I'll look to add SPA and Nordschleif this weekend.

Best Regards,
Dave
Attached Images   
Old 11-16-2017, 11:18 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

word fail me for how cool that looks! I mean OMG!
Old 11-16-2017, 11:24 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,134 Likes on 2,892 Posts

Nice Dave! I think that’s the same car I drove there in October

Enjoy the Ring and Spa (I certainly did)!
Old 11-17-2017, 12:14 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

Pity they only let you drive the short track instead of the full FIA certified circuit. But still fun.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:23 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Pity they only let you drive the short track instead of the full FIA certified circuit. But still fun.
I was a little disappointed about that too, but surprised to hear the reason. Every vehicle that is built there (Cayenne, Macan, Panamera) is taken around the other part of the track throughout the day (and they don’t want you dicing it up with those vehicles being tested). Never expected that...
Old 11-17-2017, 04:06 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

How early in spring can ED be done? I’m asking to delay mine until mid-March hoping some snow has cleared in alps and some passes could be open?
Old 11-17-2017, 10:15 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
How early in spring can ED be done? I’m asking to delay mine until mid-March hoping some snow has cleared in alps and some passes could be open?
I think that's a little too early for Alps (Mid-March is still Winter). I would wait til late April or May if possible...

Cups 2's are pretty lousy in freezing temps and they may even make you use snow tires (only really matters if you're thinking about tracking as well as Alps). If you don't mind snow tires, then scheduling could be more flexible...
Old 11-17-2017, 01:38 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You're not allowed to drive in Germany without Winter tires til end April.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:42 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
You're not allowed to drive in Germany without Winter tires til end April.
My understanding of the current law is that it is no longer a mandated period but is now related to road conditions (so, if it snows in May you may need Winter tires, but if it's warm in April you are ok with summer tires).

Porsche allowed me to use Cups on my GT4 in November 2015 while it was nice, for example (although it used to be necessary to use winter tires then)...
Old 11-17-2017, 03:55 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

By mid-March some roads will be ok but the important ones, the ones you probably want to drive, will still be closed....with strong likelihood of snow falls.
Last year in Andermatt, it was still snowing in April..

Old 11-17-2017, 04:17 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

By mid-March some roads will be ok but the important ones, the ones you probably want to drive, will still be closed....with strong likelihood of snow falls.
Last year in Andermatt, it was still snowing in April..

Car goes into shop in December, but I’m asking to hold it until mid-March when I have Geneva auto show and some work obligations in Italy so I can pick it up then. That trip is only a week long, and With the cold weather as you guys already mentioned, I know will have very limited fun driving opportunities., after Geneva auto show, i’m going to store it in a garage somewhere, so I can leave it there for my wedding in June, and then send it back to the US sometime around end of summer. I think Chris mentioned porsche charge you about $1000 a month for insurance if that’s correct? It’s pretty steep price, but for the enjoyment of having the car there for two trips, one being wedding and honeymoon... I mentally wrap it up into the cost of the wedding and consider myself lucky to check off a bucket list item like that with my fiancée’s blessing.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:31 PM
hushypushy
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No helmet..?
Old 11-17-2017, 07:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hushypushy
No helmet..?
Nope - I brought one and the Porsche instructor told me not to bother wearing it...
Old 11-17-2017, 09:04 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by hushypushy
No helmet..?
I thought that was weird too... but no... no helmet on Leipzig, or on Nordschleif. Circuit De Spa, I did have to wear a helmet.

Yeah, I was hoping for a 'bit more' of the course, but when they explained they use the other portion for the Macan/Cayenne etc... during the day, that made sense.
​​​​​​​
I'll try to get some SPA & Nordschleif vids up this weekend.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 11-18-2017, 03:34 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,265 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Car goes into shop in December, but I ۪m asking to hold it until mid-March when I have Geneva auto show and some work obligations in Italy so I can pick it up then. That trip is only a week long, and With the cold weather as you guys already mentioned, I know will have very limited fun driving opportunities., after Geneva auto show, i ۪m going to store it in a garage somewhere, so I can leave it there for my wedding in June, and then send it back to the US sometime around end of summer. I think Chris mentioned porsche charge you about $1000 a month for insurance if that ۪s correct? It ۪s pretty steep price, but for the enjoyment of having the car there for two trips, one being wedding and honeymoon... I mentally wrap it up into the cost of the wedding and consider myself lucky to check off a bucket list item like that with my fianc̩e ۪s blessing.
Make sure you tell porsche exactly for how long you are going to keep it in Europe well in advance (2 weeks before pick up). The temporary plates they order expire on the day, and it's illegal to drive after that, but extending the plates requires redoing the car registration process entirely and takes days. The insurance is expensive, but it's very comprehensive.

Quick Reply: Leipzig Track Hot Lap during Euro Delivery