Sponsored by:

991R vs 991.2 GT3 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 01:01 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
I totally agree, what you do with your R is your business. But if the real purpose of the car is to sit in a garage for its entire life, the debate over which car is more "road" or "track" oriented is a kind of pointless, isn't it?
Magic dust gives out better sparkles in a dark garage.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:22 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Magic dust gives out better sparkles in a dark garage.
Hilarious !!!!
Old 07-16-2018, 02:17 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Enough foolishness aside ... great review from a non owner of each car ... he said he would choose the R but listen to his reactions to the engine and sound of the GT3 ... TO EACH THEIR OWN

Hope this adds positively to this discussion

cheers
Old 07-16-2018, 02:19 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rodsky
Perfection!!
love the wheels !! Question is there any noticeable difference in feel at road speeds or spirited driving ?

thanks
Old 07-16-2018, 02:39 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman
https://youtu.be/cCREFiQ92-k

Enough foolishness aside ... great review from a non owner of each car ... he said he would choose the R but listen to his reactions to the engine and sound of the GT3 ... TO EACH THEIR OWN

Hope this adds positively to this discussion

cheers
So the differences are "minuscule" but he would choose the R because it is "iconic" and because it was softer, quieter, and less "aggressive" than the GT3? That clarified a lot.

EDIT: And the GT3 lost traction easier than the R.

Last edited by hf1; 07-16-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:02 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
So the differences are "minuscule" but he would choose the R because it is "iconic" and because it was softer, quieter, and less "aggressive" than the GT3? That clarified a lot.
All the magic is inside the numbered plate

But seriously. The R is an amazing car. If I had gotten one at msrp, I would have zero interest in a Touring. But as consumer today, there is no way I'd spend an extra $100K+ in an R vs a Touring.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:06 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts

I have always enjoyed driving impressions from real people, especially qualified people such as Footsoldier and unotaz. All the the magazines, road test and specs can't give you real insight to truly driving the car. I will probably never own or drive a 908/3. But I certainly like hearing about what it feels like to drive one. The debate here reminds me of a gentleman some years ago trying to convince me that his RS America was the same as a 964 RS. It wasn't then and it isn't now. That's not saying one is better than another. I know someone that loves his RSA and probably wouldn't like the (touchy) lightweight flywheel and "tin can" noise of the 964 RS. And as great (for the time) as the 964 RS solid synchro gearbox was/is, there tends to be a "balkiness" between 3rd and 4th when the car is track hot. Other owners with track experience concurred with this. You won't find this information when someone points to their newly acquired 964 RS at C&C. BTW, I prefer the 964 RS to the technically "superior" 993 RS. I also found the 3.6 in the 964 was just as fast as the 3.8 in the 993.

In this case, as opposed to the 908/3 example, owning a 911R v. GT3 T is a potential reality (now or in the future) for some people on RL. It's true that there are not many R's out there being driven. So Footsoldier, unotaz and myself are just trying to give other enthusiasts, who are passionate about this hobby, our real world impressions as best we can. "Spryness" was my first impression after driving a factory car in Weissach in April 2016. I couldn't post at the time but I've used that word many times since to describe my feeling about the R.

I don't own a GT3 T but I've spent some time in the winged car. I have had the opportunity to get in one and out of the other a couple of times on the same day. The GT3 was more planted, more race car like and similar to my 997.2 3.8 RS. That's a really good thing! But the R has a feeling of lightness reminiscent of the 964 RS packaged in a contemporary car. I find the 991 to be a big car. Some of that "fairy dust" I'm told is in the calibration of the RWS, suspension and the weight of the car. The gearbox is different but I'm not sure I can tell the difference.

I've taken this time to respond so owners of other cars that I don't own (eg. GT2 RS) don't get discouraged by the pissing contests going on in this thread. There has been more than one time in my car life I would have really benefited by real world experience from owners.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:29 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

46 pages and nothing to be learned from this thread. It sounds like 8 year olds are having a toy quarrel using adult language.
Can you keep the value of your car by talking highly of it on a public forum? That's interesting! How about trying to justify your purchase in front of an anonymous audience? That's more interesting.
If R owners paid ADM and end up losing some of it,do they really care that much...? Does it really affect their bottom line? I doubt they are making a living by selling limited cars for more money than what they paid...
Let's ask the troll...

In the end,who cares how different(if any) these cars behave : Porsche is messing with your minds big time either way...
Old 07-16-2018, 04:52 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

As Suitcase have pointed out, all we can do as 911R owners, is to share some of our real-world driving feedback. I understand that not every Porsche owners has direct access to PCNA and PAG, so I share information that I have learned from my interactions with them here on RL. While the information shared might not be the information you would like to hear, nevertheless, I share because I feel like there are some people who might appreciate the information.

Suitecase, great example comparing between the RS America and the 964RS. Couldn't have said it better!

Lastly, always do your own comparison by driving the cars in the real world. Never rely on some Youtube videos or some article in a magazine.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:25 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neanicu
46 pages and nothing to be learned from this thread. It sounds like 8 year olds are having a toy quarrel using adult language.
Can you keep the value of your car by talking highly of it on a public forum? That's interesting! How about trying to justify your purchase in front of an anonymous audience? That's more interesting.
If R owners paid ADM and end up losing some of it,do they really care that much...? Does it really affect their bottom line? I doubt they are making a living by selling limited cars for more money than what they paid...
Let's ask the troll...

In the end,who cares how different(if any) these cars behave : Porsche is messing with your minds big time either way...
did you hear that GT3 engine sing ... epic !!
Old 07-16-2018, 06:05 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WernerE
Relax. I'm not saying I'm even interested, but I do think you're overstating the challenge. Chris Harris didn't have any trouble drifting the GT3 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTvEw-Mbzv4
Just a little surprised over the defensiveness.
this dude i is cult like about his expertise and authority on RL ... they seem to be self promoting themselves to god like status through “look how many cars I got” or “ is got track experience like no else” ... therefore everything we say is “the bible” ... makes my kidney sore laughing !!

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 07-16-2018 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Error
Old 07-16-2018, 06:57 PM
wegentop
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman
did you hear that GT3 engine sing ... epic !!

My R & Friend's Manual 991.2 GT3
For me, both cars sound great, but I just like my R little bit more.

Last edited by wegentop; 07-17-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:09 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by wegentop

My R & Manual 991.2 GT3
https://youtu.be/2kCJHwW3U-Y
Both have stock exhaust setup? Care to share any more pics
Old 07-16-2018, 07:21 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

My R & Manual 991.2 GT3
wow, great video ... incredible sound from the GT3
Old 07-16-2018, 07:53 PM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My R & Manual 991.2 GT3
Assuming you went with the lwfw option in the R, do you feel a big difference in feel while rev matching,down shifting etc in both cars?

Quick Reply: 991R vs 991.2 GT3 Touring