Old 07-06-2018, 12:09 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
It is the same G91.90 gearbox
FYI the 911 R gearbox is PN 9P1 300 064 A
The GT3 uses PN 9P1 300 064 B

The single mass flywheel is not related to the above. You can’t retrofit it the the 991.2 engine due to the new crank (and most likely harmonics and stresses amplified by the 500 rpm increase in max revs).

Last edited by Petevb; 07-06-2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:13 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfmobil

BBS magnesium wheels
Those wheels look really great on the car.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:14 AM
RupeTN
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I don’t give a rat’s *** about exclusivity. The driving dynamics and experience is very different from touring. The SMFW is terrific. I also put magnesium wheels, akrapovic exhaust and Breil lightweight battery. So the car is 80-90 lbn lighter than stock. Visually it just looks like a classic 911. I have no preference visually between 911R and GT3T.
Your R with the BBS looks great. Maybe I am in the minority but I still think the front end on the R is much better looking than the .2 GT3. And I have a GT3T coming late this fall. Looking forward to driving an R one of these days though, very much so.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:19 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by RupeTN

Your R with the BBS looks great. Maybe I am in the minority but I still think the front end on the R is much better looking than the .2 GT3. And I have a GT3T coming late this fall. Looking forward to driving an R one of these days though, very much so.
i agree. The front end of of the R looks better than the GT3. That said I cannot wait for my GT3. I have a countdown app on my phone!!. I think about that day often. Will be in Zuffenhausen next Thursday which will like make my wait even worse.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:31 AM
RupeTN
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by texascarlover
i agree. The front end of of the R looks better than the GT3. That said I cannot wait for my GT3. I have a countdown app on my phone!!. I think about that day often. Will be in Zuffenhausen next Thursday which will like make my wait even worse.
Good for you! Post a few pics when you have a chance and safe travels.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:02 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,265 Likes on 590 Posts

I don’t give a rat’s *** about exclusivity.
My kind of driver.

The driving dynamics and experience is very different from touring. The SMFW is terrific. I also put magnesium wheels, akrapovic exhaust and Breil lightweight battery. So the car is 80-90 lbn lighter than stock.
Yes, this I can see. First time I drove the R, I was struck by how "Carrera 3.2 unhinged" it was around some of the small towns near Weissach. It almost seemed air-cooled, or at least as mechanical and then some. And yes it had the LWF/SMFW. Can't speak to an R so lightened, but imagine it has to be great...
Old 07-06-2018, 01:13 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
My kind of driver.Yes, this I can see. First time I drove the R, I was struck by how "Carrera 3.2 unhinged" it was around some of the small towns near Weissach. It almost seemed air-cooled, or at least as mechanical and then some. And yes it had the LWF/SMFW. Can't speak to an R so lightened, but imagine it has to be great...
Wolf - you just confirmed my weekend selection our dealer just did the 2-year service on my 991.1 RS today and will swap it out for the R for the weekend. You made me miss it!

Pete - great analogy and I felt the same way regarding the analog feel of the 911R versus the Touring. Hope you are well.
Jeff
Old 07-06-2018, 03:16 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb

The single mass flywheel is not related to the above. You can’t retrofit it the the 991.2 engine due to the new crank (and most likely harmonics and stresses amplified by the 500 rpm increase in max revs).
a guess that A (R) and B (GT3) refer to minor attachment points and revised electronics
while the main block parts are the same

agree that the GT3.2 superior NA engine performance make the smfw not a good solution

anyway R power band is ~ 8k so unless being very restrictive on the R throttle the smfw will anyway put more stress and a at full potentisl usage a sooner demage on the engine

of course a flipper/CnC/whocaresman garage queen doesn t care of it
but in 911 equation durability should be one of the founder pillar otherwisr i buy ferrari

Last edited by fxz; 07-06-2018 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:50 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The R gearbox was handbuilt at ZF, the Touring one is production line at Getrag. Why they feel different.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:10 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz
anyway R power band is ~ 8k so unless being very restrictive on the R throttle the smfw will anyway put more stress and a at full potentisl usage a sooner demage on the engine
I think you’re off in the weeds- I see no evidence to support that statement.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:32 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

^The Dual mass flywheel springs help absorb engine vibration which reduces wear on the transmission and the rest of the drivetrain.

the statement is not correct?
Old 07-06-2018, 11:11 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz
^The Dual mass flywheel springs help absorb engine vibration which reduces wear on the transmission and the rest of the drivetrain.

the statement is not correct?
The part where you link the single mass to early engine failure. More cars use a single mass than not, and they are perfectly fine if well designed and used within limits (early Cup, 997 GT3 RS 4.0, etc).

You could try to make the argument that all else being equal an engine will last longer with a dual mass (though these also fail). However by that logic we could also argue that the R’s engine should outlast the 991.2 GT 3’s due its lower peak revs and resulting exponential stress reduction.

At at the end of the day we trust engineers have made all the trade-offs to release a durable package barring evidence to the contrary. The R’s single mass flywheel was dynamically balanced with the crank and rotating assembly, something the aftermarket can’t practically do. Given this and the .2’s increase in revs I’m not at all surprised AP recommended not retrofitting the single mass flywheels to the 991.2 GT3. Nor would I be surprised if we see a properly re-engineered single mass flywheel re-appear in the future on something like the upcoming speedster (keeping in mind that in the past single mass flywheels have typically been reserved for RS’s rather than GT3s). What I would not do is draw the conclusion that the single mass is inherently flawed other than the rougher feel and more challenging drivability. Many will view these as advantages I any case.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:21 AM
fxz
Race Car

^ very well explsined as usual Pete

i agree on all but about engine stress, GT3.2 engine isn't an R engine just revving higher

Last edited by fxz; 07-06-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:49 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Originally Posted by Footsoldier
The R gearbox was handbuilt at ZF, the Touring one is production line at Getrag. Why they feel different.
i would never have thought about - that such a change - is just worth a revision number / letter - and not a new number.
i´m still sceptical. but believing you two.

Maybe they are still the same hardware parts (99%).
But Getrag was not able to balance the whole package (SMFW, gearbox, etc) so ZF got the deal?
Who produces the SMFW? And who the DMFW?

Are in the Porsche world the same partnumbers (even if they do not have the same revision letter) interchangeable?
B instead of A normally yes.? this is for what revision letters are all about.
Would get a R a newer GT3 gearbox in case? Because there will be so or so no possibility for balancing it at the dealers...
Old 07-06-2018, 12:04 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have wondered about what happens in future if R needs gearbox replacement, and which parts will be available.

Anyway, just google ‘911 R ZF’ and then ‘991 GT3 Getrag’ and you should be able to convince yourself :-)

Quick Reply: 991R vs 991.2 GT3 Touring