Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991R vs 991.2 GT3 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 08:37 AM
italiafan
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

I think it is in the best interest of a chat forum community to identify and remove annoying bullying posters. They diminish the quality of the community in immeasurable ways. Thoughtful people with great insights and experience just don't bother to post as a result.

I would hope Porsche enthusiasts would be supportive of other Porsche enthusiasts, we are a small dying community of car nuts after all.
I can't wait to get my GT3, and would love a 911R as well.
I'd also ove a 993 and a 964 rwd Turbo-look.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:10 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
Also was the GT3 a PDK or manual?
Manual

Last edited by Freddie Two Bs; 12-22-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:18 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
This week I had the chance to drive my R, my 4.0RS, a 550 Maranello, a 2018 GTS manual, a GT4, 964RS and a 2018 GT3
Dude. Can you teach me how to become you.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:33 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

The best "Humane" post in this thread!

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by italiafan
I think it is in the best interest of a chat forum community to identify and remove annoying bullying posters. They diminish the quality of the community in immeasurable ways. Thoughtful people with great insights and experience just don't bother to post as a result.

I would hope Porsche enthusiasts would be supportive of other Porsche enthusiasts, we are a small dying community of car nuts after all.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:52 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

As you can see there's been a few types of input; the input that CJ put in which is descriptive, goes a long way toward explaining their thought process, and informative to all.

Then there's the bogus input from 911 R speculators upset that Porsche just revoked their 911R VIP status by releasing an arguably better car so they seem to consistently give half-assed truths and make mountains out of insignificant differences to justify the ridiculous price differences which fortunately get slightly less ridiculous by the day.

Finally, there's you coming in here to be tone police. You added zero value here. You didn't bring any new knowledge and no one gained any new insight. Maybe this community would expand if GT owners stuck to reality and the cars were priced accordingly.

Your method of bullying is akin to the methods of religious zealots and it's in all our best interest if you add more value to your posts in the future. Funny that you want to talk about adding value when you have 46 posts in 8 years, didn't pay for a membership, and named yourself after a competing brand.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:48 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This week I had the chance to drive my R, my 4.0RS, a 550 Maranello, a 2018 GTS manual, a GT4, 964RS and a 2018 GT3. No BS- this is my job, it's fun and I had interested customers in all the cars or was doing initial shake down drives to assess tire balance, suspension bushings, etc.

They all make really good power, or noise, or both. They are all good collectable type cars for the future for various reasons.

The 4.0 and the R both have the lightweight flywheel which does lead to a slightly different feeling from the 2018 cars, the GT3 and GTS.

Driving the GTS and GT3 back to back is very interesting. I even specced them the same- sapphire/ manual /ceramics. They have very similar acceleration and although the hardcore womp of 9k rpms was not on the menu (break in miles) the differences are subtle and not massive. A base 911 is a huge gulf to a GTS or GT3. Huge. But, the top of a mountain is only so tall.

The noise from the R and Gt3 is not equal in the sense that the R with the lightweight flywheel makes more "noise" from clatter and rattle vs the GT3 which is a cleaner, more narrow or "bright" noise. Making noise, being loud...not equal terms.

For audiophiles- or guitarists- the R is a Fender Strat and the GT3 is a Les Paul. The R makes more ancillary noises or ALLOWS more ancillary noises. Some faint distortion, or muddier. The R feels livelier simply due to the flywheel and spring rates. The weight difference is minimal (both have buckets) and mostly down to spec (radio delete in R vs GT3 bose, R without nose lift. )

The 964RS and the R, are the closest cars spritually. The 4.0 stands alone as it's own animal. It feels less tame than any of the others.

The GT3 feels like a cyborg compared to a 964.RS. The GTS is REALLY good if you spec it right and as an alternative to a GT3 touring, the GTS has more torque and will be a better 'touring' car with 18 ways vs a GT3T with buckets.
Thanks a bunch, CJ. This is the color commentary I was looking for.

I pretty much have my mind right. Posts like yours solidify my resolve.
Happy Holidays!!

Bret.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:58 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

I think it is in the best interest of a chat forum community to identify and remove annoying bullying posters. They diminish the quality of the community in immeasurable ways.
I agree, and unfortunately I think action may be warrented in this case.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:10 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Show me where I said "it had to be true." If it had to be true -- why would I ask someone to perform a objective test? Maybe the reason the board is going downhill is because of all the butthurt speculators that are more concerned with protecting the value of their limited edition cars then actually driving them and people like you that can't even argue based on facts. When people drive their cars enough to actually break in the motor, maybe their answers will finally line up with everyone else and they'll stop calling their own answers "opinions."

Funny you said that when arguing with me

That shows how ignorant you are on this board. Most members who actually spend time reading about post instead of trolling knows how much I drive my cars.

I have over 16,000km on my 918. With around 250 laps on my track.

When I bought my 964 Turbo 3.6 last Feb, it came with 30,000 miles in 23 years. I put on an extra 4,000 miles not even a year into ownership. This car also spent a weekend lapping at my track too.

My 911R I took it on European delivery. Back in February. Did a 2,300km road trip from Germany to Italy and back. With rain and snow and sun and everything else. When it finally arrived home in May I put on another 3,000km or so. Oh also about 100 laps on my track.

All my Ferraris are over 15,000km.

My Aston I got it in September. It is pushing 4,000km.

My Huracan Spyder is pushing 10,000km in about 15 months. But right now it's my winter beater as My Turbo S Exclusive is not going into production till January.

The .2 GT3 is the virgin, simply because It's only been 3 weeks since I got it, it spend a week getting wrapped and this week it's snowing here. it and the Aston are the only ones without winter tires, everything else including the 918 has and I drive them year round.

My Cayenne Turbo S is 13 months old, it is getting close to 20,000km and when I tracked the beast, I went around my track faster than half the cars that showed up.

So, what's YOUR qualification again? None right? Thought so.

P.S. My GT4 ClubSport race car has 5,000km on the clock. All track miles as the car is not street legal
Old 12-22-2017, 01:36 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Funny you said that when arguing with me

That shows how ignorant you are on this board. Most members who actually spend time reading about post instead of trolling knows how much I drive my cars.

I have over 16,000km on my 918. With around 250 laps on my track.

When I bought my 964 Turbo 3.6 last Feb, it came with 30,000 miles in 23 years. I put on an extra 4,000 miles not even a year into ownership. This car also spent a weekend lapping at my track too.

My 911R I took it on European delivery. Back in February. Did a 2,300km road trip from Germany to Italy and back. With rain and snow and sun and everything else. When it finally arrived home in May I put on another 3,000km or so. Oh also about 100 laps on my track.

All my Ferraris are over 15,000km.

My Aston I got it in September. It is pushing 4,000km.

My Huracan Spyder is pushing 10,000km in about 15 months. But right now it's my winter beater as My Turbo S Exclusive is not going into production till January.

The .2 GT3 is the virgin, simply because It's only been 3 weeks since I got it, it spend a week getting wrapped and this week it's snowing here. it and the Aston are the only ones without winter tires, everything else including the 918 has and I drive them year round.

My Cayenne Turbo S is 13 months old, it is getting close to 20,000km and when I tracked the beast, I went around my track faster than half the cars that showed up.

So, what's YOUR qualification again? None right? Thought so.

P.S. My GT4 ClubSport race car has 5,000km on the clock. All track miles as the car is not street legal
Jesus Christ you are my hero!

and I was worried about getting rid of my x5m and getting into a 4S as a winter beater lol
Old 12-22-2017, 02:18 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by destaccado
and named yourself after a competing brand.

Competing brand of what? Of countries?
Old 12-22-2017, 02:19 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
Jesus Christ you are my hero!

and I was worried about getting rid of my x5m and getting into a 4S as a winter beater lol
Hero doesn't get anywhere near it. Winter tires and driving on a 918 is deity territory.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:23 PM
rvmhn
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This week I had the chance to drive my R, my 4.0RS, a 550 Maranello, a 2018 GTS manual, a GT4, 964RS and a 2018 GT3. No BS- this is my job, it's fun and I had interested customers in all the cars or was doing initial shake down drives to assess tire balance, suspension bushings, etc.

They all make really good power, or noise, or both. They are all good collectable type cars for the future for various reasons.

The 4.0 and the R both have the lightweight flywheel which does lead to a slightly different feeling from the 2018 cars, the GT3 and GTS.

Driving the GTS and GT3 back to back is very interesting. I even specced them the same- sapphire/ manual /ceramics. They have very similar acceleration and although the hardcore womp of 9k rpms was not on the menu (break in miles) the differences are subtle and not massive. A base 911 is a huge gulf to a GTS or GT3. Huge. But, the top of a mountain is only so tall.

The noise from the R and Gt3 is not equal in the sense that the R with the lightweight flywheel makes more "noise" from clatter and rattle vs the GT3 which is a cleaner, more narrow or "bright" noise. Making noise, being loud...not equal terms.

For audiophiles- or guitarists- the R is a Fender Strat and the GT3 is a Les Paul. The R makes more ancillary noises or ALLOWS more ancillary noises. Some faint distortion, or muddier. The R feels livelier simply due to the flywheel and spring rates. The weight difference is minimal (both have buckets) and mostly down to spec (radio delete in R vs GT3 bose, R without nose lift. )

The 964RS and the R, are the closest cars spritually. The 4.0 stands alone as it's own animal. It feels less tame than any of the others.

The GT3 feels like a cyborg compared to a 964.RS. The GTS is REALLY good if you spec it right and as an alternative to a GT3 touring, the GTS has more torque and will be a better 'touring' car with 18 ways vs a GT3T with buckets.

Man, I'm trying really hard not to fan boy over CJ's commentary. I consider myself to have highly specialized Porsche/rare car expertise...and he still finds a way to teach me something new. In a different post I was really intrigued that all the guys buying RS's that don't even track them, order PCCBs and lift lololol.... anyway, getting another air-cooled in the stable CJ shortly, I hope that you will be impressed it by it good sir!!
-Ravi
Old 12-22-2017, 02:23 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I look forward to the R and 991.2 GT3 comparison whoopsy.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Hero doesn't get anywhere near it. Winter tires and driving on a 918 is deity territory.
Did a round trip from Vancouver to Las Vegas for SEMA earlier. On winter tires. Good thing as it snowed on the passes on the way back. Yes, also got pulled over for speeding. The cop did a ton of selfies with the car. First time he had seen one.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:11 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I agree, and unfortunately I think action may be warrented in this case.
Ironic, with the screen name he chose for himself that he's actually so "detached" from the reality of how disruptive and anachronistic he is to the forum. When I see his massive confrontational and nonsensical posts, it just tAkes away from wanting to read the entire thread because other people's pearls are lost in his garbage

Quick Reply: 991R vs 991.2 GT3 Touring