Sponsored by:

991R vs 991.2 GT3 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 02:23 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
I have wondered about what happens in future if R needs gearbox replacement, and which parts will be available.
The newer 991 GT3 gearbox has not replaced the 911R box in the PET. Often when a part is updated it is superseded, ie at service they will replace an early gen 991 GT3 engine with an updated version. That's not the case here- if you have a 911R you get that gearbox, not the newer GT3's. None of which suggests the 911R box is better or worse, but it is different.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:34 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 860 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
None of which suggests the 911R box is better or worse, but it is different.
No, it's an "inferior" gearbox because it's handmade, according to some on Rennlist
Old 07-07-2018, 05:42 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

"The 6 speed mt in the R is quite light which isn t a bad thing but the 6 speed mt in the new GT3.2 has got more character"

Henry Catchpole
Old 07-07-2018, 06:19 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You must have spent time digging out that opinion, because yesterday you thought they were the same gearbox.
( Catchpole also nicely demonstrates here, at 4.37, how pressing the sports button 'firms up the PASM' on a GT3, and he 'can feel it' , so think I'll stick to my own judgements on things...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w0d_AZ...ature=youtu.be )

you have one of the best looking Tourings I've seen, and it's a great car.
why not just enjoy that, instead of tying yourself in knots, attempting to 'prove' something inferior about other people's things? (Especially when you demonstrably don't know much about what you're taking about).
Old 07-07-2018, 06:27 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

^ i guess the character comes from DMFW
the gearbox is the same
indeed the R one is made by sideral stars metal assembled by the Seven Dwarfs hands

there s no a fact behind R being better except some plastic here n there
overall the GT3.2 could be called
the R v 2.0

and sorry this thread title is R vs GT3
Old 07-07-2018, 10:28 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
overall the GT3.2 could be called
the R v 2.0

Maybe 911RS Touring as it does have the cordorroy style seat inserts like the 73 RS ....
Old 07-07-2018, 12:06 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
You must have spent time digging out that opinion, because yesterday you thought they were the same gearbox.
( Catchpole also nicely demonstrates here, at 4.37, how pressing the sports button 'firms up the PASM' on a GT3, and he 'can feel it' , so think I'll stick to my own judgements on things...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w0d_AZ...ature=youtu.be )

you have one of the best looking Tourings I've seen, and it's a great car.
why not just enjoy that, instead of tying yourself in knots, attempting to 'prove' something inferior about other people's things? (Especially when you demonstrably don't know much about what you're taking about).
I think catchpole confused himself there because he should have pressed the suspension button to affect the PASM no?
Old 07-07-2018, 12:19 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

^^^Exactly CAlexio. I'm sure he knows the difference, and this was likely an editing and slip of the tongue mistake (particularly when the button right below 'Sport' has a picture of a shock absorber).

The suspension in this 991.2 GT3 is a true marvel. My favorite part of this car so far (probably because I haven't been over 5k RPMs yet). Out this morning for a spirited drive on some extremely rough/damaged northeastern Connecticut backroads. Car handled them with ease. Effortless. Regardless whether or not suspension button is activated.

Car is amazingly compliant but firm at all times. Never sloppy. Never harsh. Never skips across bumps like my old 991.1 GTS. Just perfectly balanced.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:09 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Yes, Walter has good taste in cars and he has driven them all. Yet, he doesn’t have a GT3 Touring but he chose to have the 911R. Why is that?

Probably because it came out first and he got it at or below MSRP. I highly doubt a guy who has access to Porsche's race cars cares that much about replacing his limited R because of a slightly superior engine available in a GT3.

If I had purchased a PTS R to my specification at some sort of employee pricing I doubt I'd be rushing out to buy a GT3 either.

Yet, you know what Walter isn't doing? Making up BS on this forum
Old 07-08-2018, 08:19 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

BS like the Touring having same gearbox as R, I assume you mean? Or show me that it does.

Porsche are kings of niche, and can make an almost limitless variety of 911 to suit every need (Speedster next). Yet, some of you are so keen to be right, that you are arguing that a car with a different engine, different gearbox, different body panels, different suspension, different RWS settings, different exhaust etc (and more of a road-bias) can’t feel different, despite numerous ‘non-flippers’ telling you otherwise.

It is, however, clearly ‘inferior’ because you can rev an engine that peaks at 8250 rpm, a bit longer in the non-optimum power band. I don’t think you understand how Porsche works, never mind their cars.

Not for the first time, I’ll try to ignore this BS for a while!
Old 07-08-2018, 09:09 AM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 35 Posts

Wait, didn't Porsche and AP explicitly state that the GT3.2 and 911R gearboxes are the same?

Last edited by mafoofan; 07-08-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:11 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Wait, didn't Porsche and AP explicitly state that the GT3.2 and 911R gearboxes are the sam?
He did. 16:30 in this video.

”It is the 6 speed manual from the 911R.”
Old 07-08-2018, 12:58 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

Many people in inner Porsche circles have said that the 911 R was really an expiremnt to determine whether there really was enough demand to continue offering manual transmission on the GT3. This and the initial R&D required to develop may explain why the R transmission was originally manufactured in one facility, and once they confirmed they would offer more volume in the .2 GT3, they continued to product the transmission at another facility.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:28 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
Many people in inner Porsche circles have said that the 911 R was really an expiremnt to determine whether there really was enough demand to continue offering manual transmission on the GT3. This and the initial R&D required to develop may explain why the R transmission was originally manufactured in one facility, and once they confirmed they would offer more volume in the .2 GT3, they continued to product the transmission at another facility.
Makes so much sense, despite a few people on here desperately needing to validate there preferences/purchases.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:15 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
Makes so much sense, despite a few people on here desperately needing to validate there preferences/purchases.
I would say that the GT4 surprise success (it surprised PAG board) confirmed manual transmission continued viability and customer appetite even earlier...this reaction was conveyed to me by friends at PAG

Quick Reply: 991R vs 991.2 GT3 Touring